Infant seats

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2013, 05:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For those who have done their homework (I have not and just cannot get to doing it). Can anyone recommend a SAFE infant seat that is affordable. Safety is first priority. However, I don't want to overpay if there is a really safe one. Some are $300. Ellianna is definitely our last child. She will use the seat for 1/2 a year (give or take). I need to purchase 2 extra bases as well (My parents watch our kids while DH and I work, and DH and I take turns with pick ups). So $500 for 1/2 year is crazy unless really needed for safety.

February 3rd, 2013, 05:52 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am getting the Britax Be safe. It is on sale at amazon for $135. It gets great reviews so far
February 3rd, 2013, 05:53 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a huge fan of the Graco SnugRide. It isn't outrageously expensive and it has great safety ratings. My kids are on the small side and tend to be slow growers but both my kiddos were in theirs until close to their 1st bday or after.

February 3rd, 2013, 05:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We did the graco snug ride with ds1 & ds2 and the baby trend with ds3. All were very reasonable. But dh doesn't like the snap closure in the baby trend & I thought the Graco's were awkward to carry and heavy since ds2 was a big baby. So I'll most likely be looking soon too. My parents have bought all the carseats before so I don't want to pick out something expensive, but I'm looking for an light, easy to carry, safe seat, that doesn't have a hard buckle & that gets difficult.

February 3rd, 2013, 06:02 AM
Veteran
Consumer reports.com has good safety info. All the major brands had good safety ratings, Graco, Chicco, and the high-end ones. Could you buy extra bases rather than extra car seats?
February 3rd, 2013, 06:03 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second Graco SnugRide. I have read nothing but excellent things about them. Also, some of their seats hold babies up to 35 pounds, so you'd get more use out of it. They are under $150.

February 3rd, 2013, 06:41 AM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
We just got the Chicco KeyFit 30 - Chicco Green KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat - Midori : Target - and it seems awesome so far. Has great reviews, and great safety ratings including side impact.

February 3rd, 2013, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We were in between the Keyfit and B-safe. We are going with the B-safe since that's what will fit side by side in my car.
February 3rd, 2013, 07:15 AM
Mrs_lynn.c's Avatar Expecting#5
I like the Graco seats I have used them for my last two children and they worked great.
February 3rd, 2013, 07:41 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got the Britax Chaperone. It's a bit on the heavy side and kind of pricey tho. Cheapest on Amamzon. I got it free for buying the B-Ready stroller during their free ride event last year. The bases run about $65 a piece on Amazon. I really loved the safety features for it and when I saw the free ride even for the stroller and car seat I wanted, I bought them... Even though we were not even TTC yet.

February 3rd, 2013, 07:54 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We got the Chicco Keyfit 30 travel system + an extra base from target. We lucked out and got it for 20% off + an additional 10%
February 3rd, 2013, 08:32 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We got a graco last year on clearance from babies r us. The pattern had been discontinued. It was 70 dollars I believe. We dont use infant seats for very long so we didnt want to go out and spend a fortune either.

February 3rd, 2013, 08:47 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I would definitely recommend the Graco Snugride as well. The Britax & Radian's are also at the top of the list, but on the more expensive side. The Graco is just as safe and gets as many great reviews for a lot less of a price tag!

Those would be the top 3 safest/highest rated seats IMO.

February 3rd, 2013, 08:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have the Chicco Keyfit 30 that we used for our other kids, so we have plenty of bases. I only plan to use it until DD reaches 45 lbs and we can front face her though, then baby will probably go into the Britax convertible seat we have. If you wanted, you could skip the infant seat altogether and just get a convertible seat, although it would mean you'd have to transfer the seat everytime you switched cars (unless you know you'll want more than one eventually).
February 3rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A coupleof notes for FTM on carseats. Most kids outgrow the seat by height long before weight, unless it has a 22 lb limit.

All carseats must pass the same safety ratings. Some go above and beyond, but the min. Are all the same.

Biggest differences will be in straps, handles, easy of installation, buckles.

Test the carseat in your car before you buy. Buy buy baby and BRU will allow you to test it n your vehicle. You will be surprised by what does nd doesn't fit.
Kim3 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search