Childhood

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2013, 10:05 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Do you want your baby to have a similar childhood as you did or something completely different?

February 3rd, 2013, 10:07 PM
Veteran
Similar but different!

Similar in what opportunities I had a a child! However I want my child to have parents that speak pleasantly to each other and that the will always have a "safe feeling" at home

February 3rd, 2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran
I want my children to grow up like I did and have the opportunities I did. I just don't want to be disappointed if I can't live up to the model my parents have set for me..
February 4th, 2013, 12:30 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Completely different!!!!!! I suffered alot of various forms of abuse and neglect as a child. The only good parenting I seen was from my grandparents who were kind and good people. So these two will be raised in a loving and supportive home using my grandparents as examples and treating my children how my wonderful grandparents treated me.

February 4th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Similar in the love and dicipline areas but different because I want to be able to be there more for school activities and have better conmunication with my kiddos. I have very loving parents and am very fortunate that I had a great childhood...my parents house was the safe house for all our friends.

February 4th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Similar in that I was loved and well taken care of. I was a happy child.

Different because my baby will have a mom and a dad. I grew up with my dad which I loved and wouldn't change, but I want my baby's life to.be different.

Last edited by Hopeful2BMommy; February 4th, 2013 at 04:30 AM.
February 4th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
From what little I remember of my childhood it wasn't all that great. I want my children to have the childhood I wish I had and I will do everything in my power to have them have a better life come junior high on since mine was the of the worst times in my life until I met my husband.

February 4th, 2013, 04:36 AM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
There are some things I want to be similar - lots of outdoor time, reading, imagination, pets, art - but some things I absolutely want to be different. Like MamaSkunk I had some serious abuse in my childhood and I'll do anything to keep this little one from going through the trauma I did.
MamaSkunk likes this.

February 4th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Mrs_lynn.c's Avatar Expecting#5
I had a very bad childhood so I have always tried my best to give my kids a better life than I had and I will continue to do it with this little guy.
February 4th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit.kat.81 View Post
There are some things I want to be similar - lots of outdoor time, reading, imagination, pets, art - but some things I absolutely want to be different. Like MamaSkunk I had some serious abuse in my childhood and I'll do anything to keep this little one from going through the trauma I did.
Exactly the same here. My mom did the best she could with 4 kids, while living in poverty. There was lots of outdoor play, and she always made sure we had as many books as we could read, and we always had pets...but we also had a revolving door of abusive step-dads, and we were raised in a very restrictive religion. I do not want those things for my children.

February 4th, 2013, 05:36 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Definitely very different!

February 4th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Similar in early childhood but different when older. My parents were overly permissive and it was bad for me as a teen. We will be a lot stricter and with more structure and clear expectations, but in a loving and communicative way. DH's parents were better teen parents and we will be emulating them. We are lucky that we both had great parents and childhoods as examples. I am so happy to be living in my hometown now, because it is a great place to grow up, so much beautiful nature and outdoor activities.

February 4th, 2013, 07:53 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Similar in that I want to live in a place where my kids can spend tons of time outdoors. I was allowed to roam the neighborhood and everybody's parents looked out for all the neighborhood kids. We had a wooded area at the end of our block where I spent a ton of time alone and it was really formative to me. Right now I'm raising a kid in the city and it's killing me. DD doesn't know any different but I want her to be close to nature. I think it's important for kids.

I also want to raise my kids with similar values to what I grew up with. My parents never had money and they split up when I was 10, but my mom totally rocked it. I was raised with a really strong work ethic and without a sense of entitlement. DH's parents weren't rich when he was little, but both his parents were really successful by the time his youngest sister was born and they spoiled the crap out of her. As a result, he and his two older siblings are just fine and his little sister is a snotty princess. I hope we do well and are able to provide our kids with the opportunities DH has had (his parents are the ones making it possible for him to finish school) but I don't want to spoil them.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

February 4th, 2013, 08:27 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Similiar - I had an awesome childhood and hope to provide the same for my kids.

We were blessed to be able to go to any sports or lessons we wanted to take, we went on vacation every year, had family fun days in the summer to the beach and amusement parks with all my cousins. So yeah I definitely hope to model our life after that. My Dad worked days and my mom worked nights so we never had to go to daycare either and so far we've modeled our schedule almost identically. I hate relying on people family or paid to care for my family. I'm a weirdo. I admit it.

Another thing that has been influencing me that I never even thought about until now is my parents never once left us with a babysitter overnight. I think that is why I am freaking out about delivery especially a c-section because it will be the first time I am away from JD. The thought of not putting him down to sleep at night for some reason gives me this anixety attack feeling. gah I am so not looking forward to that.

February 4th, 2013, 11:02 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both...I want my children's early childhood to be complete opposite of mine. I suffered a lot of abuse at the hands of my ex stepdad and my dad was an absent alcoholic for many years. Once I hit my teen years, things improved significantly and I was afforded a lot of opportunities to better myself thanks to my parents. I would hope that I can give my children a stress free childhood with lots of opportunities for college an whatnot.

February 4th, 2013, 11:09 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmfourmama View Post
Similar but different!

Similar in what opportunities I had a a child! However I want my child to have parents that speak pleasantly to each other and that the will always have a "safe feeling" at home
I couldn't have said it better. My parents worked hard and sacrificed a lot so that I could have what I needed and then some. They gave us a good moral foundation, but their own relationship with each other was a little lacking. I want my kids to see DH and I showing love and affection with each other as well as giving affection to our children.
farmfourmama likes this.
February 4th, 2013, 03:53 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We have a large family, homeschool, live in the country, garden and raise animals.... what we have chosen for our children is very different from the way we were raised.
4hearts likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 5th, 2013, 02:49 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Not at all like mine..

My childhood was great up tell 1994, I saw Disney World 3 times, flew to Florida a handful of times..

Coming home from school one day, when I was 10 and seeing my grandmas car at my house. I knew something was wrong, walked into the living room to my mom and my grandma. Grandma was crying on the couch, my mom asked me to sit down and informed me, her breast cancer was back and she would not make it this time. I was told I would go live with my grandparents and my sister with her dad. My mom died 3 weeks later 5 days before my 11th Birthday.

I was raised in a great home with my grandparents, given everything I needed but I rebelled hardcore. Moved out when I was 17 and have struggled really hard, in my life.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

February 5th, 2013, 05:17 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Um, my childhood was a trainwreck. Between substance and verbal abuse, I wouldn't wish any of that on my worst enemy. I do, however, know exactly what I don't want my child to go through.

February 5th, 2013, 05:45 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My adoptive dad set a lot of excellent examples that I want to instill in my children. He taught us strong morals, hard work and he never told us we couldn't do something in honestly don't think it ever occurred to him that might not be ale to do anything.

My step mom was very strict and controlling and we all rebelled in large ways. I want to give my boys experiences that my parents couldn't afford to give us. I also will not be so strict that they spend their childhood resenting me and missing out on the fun of being a kid because they arein punishment. On the other hand, I will not tolerate out of control kids, so I hope to strike a nice balance.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search