MOTW: Karen78

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes
  • 7 Post By Karen78
  • 1 Post By bribugg13
  • 1 Post By Kyla0709
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By Hopeful2BMommy
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 2 Post By Karen78
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Yay for MOTW! I was born in Columbus, Ohio and lived there until I was 9. Then we moved an hour north of there to Mansfield and my parents are still there. I always knew I'd want to one day be back in Columbus though (which I am now!).

I'm the middle child between two boys, and I love it. I used to always want a sister, but now I'm glad I never had to share my clothes, room, etc. Plus being the only girl is pretty special I think. No middle child syndrome for me! Having 2 brothers hopefully has prepared me for having 2 little boys! Being the middle child, I had the advantage of being the "young kids" and ganging up my older brother, or the "old kids" and ganging up my younger brother. But honestly, we were mostly the "old kids" and totally made fun of my younger brother a lot. I've apologized to him a bunch, but I still feel terrible about how mean we were to him. Steph, if he is scarred and has some residual issues, I'm sorry! Maybe that's why he grew to be 6'8" so he can intimidate me now. Haha...just kidding. He'll always be little Tommy to me.

Speaking of height, we are a tall family. My brothers are 6'8", 6'7" and my dad is the "short" one at 6'5". My mom is 5'7" but her sister is 5'11". So yes, I got some tall genes too and ended up just shy of 5'11" myself. Highschool was awkward for me, and I always hated being taller than all my friends. I still am, but I'm ok with now. Though I DO wish I could buy fun shoes, but they all have giant 3-4inch heels. Blast!

When I was little, I did all the dancing classes: ballet, tap, jazz. Ballet is what I kept up with the most but I wish I would have continued it further. Oh well. I got super excited when I *almost* made it into Balletmet's (big company in Columbus) production of The Nutcracker one year. But I got cut at the last minute and was devastated. I was only 8 and would have been just a little mouse, but still! Haha. In highschool, I continued my awkwardness and joined the marching band instead of playing sports. It bugs me when people assume I played basketball or volleyball just because I'm tall (side note: neither of my giant brothers played school sports either other than just for fun--yay band nerds!) BUT our band was really good and we won most every competition we went to. I had played clarinet previously, but in 9th grade switched to bass clarinet and that's what I marched with that year. The next year I joined the colorguard and twirled the flag. The last 2 years of HS I twirled the rifle and sabre (it looks like a sword). Our HS also had a winterguard which I was in for 3 years. It's basically marching band without the band, and it's done indoors in a basketball gym on a huge tarp that covers the entire floor. My favorite year was my junior year when our music was Smells Like Teen Spirit. The first version was Tori Amos's soft version, and then it switched to the original Nirvana version. Fun! Weekend competitions, blah blah blah....we were good but not GREAT.

I never dated in highschool, and always felt like something was wrong with me. I went to homecoming 1 year but it was with a friend (who I had a crush on), and then I went to my senior prom without a date. Boooo! I went with some friends but most had dates. I didn't even get my first kiss until I was in college and 19! And it was HORRIBLE!! The guy had a lizard tongue. Gross!!!!!

I graduated HS in 1996 and went to Bowling Green State University (it's in Ohio, not Kentucky) and after changing my major (was originally wanting to study whales and dolphins) to dietetics (yay food!) I graduated 4 years later. To be a dietitian, you have to be accepted to a program which is about a year, then pass a giant test. So I moved to Indiana and went to Ball State University for that, did my internship, passed my test, and ended up staying another year to complete my master's degree and finished in 2002. So if someone tells you they're a "nutritionist", they're NOT a dietitian unless they're just saying that so you don't say "what's a dietitian?" Sorry, but it bugs me. Nutritionist is just someone who finished their 4 year degree, but didn't get accepted into a dietetic internship program and go through all the unpaid crap and take a giant test. Ok, end rant.

I ended up buying a house as a single girl at age 24 (yay!) and pretty much got stuck in Indiana because of it. I worked for WIC and ended up being the director but I hated it there. I had a boyfriend that treated me like crap, mooched off of me, smoked pot all the time, and was an all around idiot. We all do stupid things, right? I don't know how or why I stayed with him for 3 years. Then I had another boyfriend who was the complete opposite, but he was almost TOO career driven and put our relationship on the back burner. He was a great guy, but I needed more. I was with him for almost 4 years. Ugh! Finally being single again, I said screw this, I'm moving back to Ohio. So I got a job in my hometown at the hospital where my mom worked, got rid of my house, and got my butt out of Indiana! Best decision I've ever made!! More on how hubby and I met later......

Hobbies? I love to read and watch movies. I used to go to the movie theater with my "good" boyfriend every single weekend when I was in Indiana. We would go see a crappy movie JUST to get our hands on the buttery popcorn. I know, I'm a bad dietitian. "do as I say, not as I do". I used to run more, and did a 5k, but it hurt my knees too much so I don't run anymore. Plus....it's running. haha. I never got the "runner's high" everyone talks about. After 3 miles I'm like "ok, can I stop now??" Oh yeah, I'd really like to get back into crossstitching like I did when I was younger, but I never have time!!

Ok, that was a novel.....time for some pictures.

token childhood picture: 1st grade

winterguard picture from our Tori Amos/Nirvana year. Junior year, 1995. I'm the tall one in the back row.

my short hair days as a single girl. I think this is Thanksgiving 2008.

Maybe 2008 again? Hanging out with some of my nieces. Photobomb contributed by my younger brother. Haha

at a friend's bachelorette party in 2008 (apparently I took a lot of pics from that year) Yes, those are dicks on her head. Heehee!

Going to my first NFL game to watch the Bengals! This was taken about a month after hubby and I got engaged. Gotta love a Snuggie!

'twas very chilly at that game! January and about 20-ish degrees.

DH

I took my chances with online dating to find someone. Turns out it was a good idea! I was still living in Indiana at the time. On Yahoo Personals, you can see who views your profile. I saw Kevin's profile and thought he was cute but then saw he lived 3hours away in Columbus, Ohio. So I figured oh well. But then he emailed me and said he liked my profile and just wanted to say hi. I wrote back a thank you email, but also said something like "why are you looking at girls that are so far away from you??" He said he was just curious how many tall girls were online. So he set the search engine to over 5'10" and the miles away to as far as it would go. I figured I'd never meet this guy, so I decided what the heck and we continued to email and IM back and forth for a few months. I even would tell him about the creeps that I went out on dates with from online after I'd get home. Haha. I was planning on moving back to Ohio but my new job was a little over an hour from his house. So again I thought, I'll never meet this guy.....that's too far of a drive. We continued to talk for another 3 months after I was in Ohio and I wasn't having any luck with dates in the town I was in. I decided to go ahead and meet Kevin finally. So I agreed to a date and he drove up to meet me for dinner and bowling. Normally blind dates suck, but it wasn't as weird as I thought it'd be since we'd been talking for 7 months. We had a great time and we've been together ever since! We alternated weekends of driving back and forth to eachother's houses.

After 10 months of officially dating, he proposed much to my surprise! We had talked about the future and I guess it was assumed that we'd end up together but we never once talked about getting engaged or rings or anything. One weekend in December he left to go back home. I was relieved cuz I thought "whew, now I can be a 6 year old and watch The Polar Express (I'd never seen it) and he won't know I watch kids' movies, and I can pig out on leftover pizza". Haha. So I turned on all my Christmas lights, turned off the other lights, got settled on the couch and started the movie. After a LONG time....like a half hour, I get a knock on the door. I open it and he's there and I said "did you forget something??" and he said "yeah" and then he immediately got down on one knee right there in my doorway! I was so shocked! Turns out he had chickened out at first as was gonna go home, but drove around the block a bunch of times deciding what to do, and then he saw my Christmas lights all festive inside and decided to just do it. He said some sweet things, and I remember saying "holy crap, holy crap, holy crap" MANY times. Then of course I said yes and was jumping and clapping and saying "yay!!....ok, now do it again! Do it again!!" Cuz I was in such shock, I wasn't really paying attention to what he said. Ha! So he got down again, and repeated the process. I was REALLY surprised at how much I loved the ring too. Since we had never discussed what I liked or looked at any or anything. It's perfect! So that was in mid-December, and we got married in July 2010! After we got married, I moved out of my apartment and moved into his house in Columbus and quit my job to find work in my new city. Hooray! I was back in Columbus, finally!

I love him to death. He is the most caring, kind, loving person I've ever met. And he goes out of his way to do things for others which I love about him too. He's a very quiet person which is the complete opposite of me and my family. But it all works out. We balance eachother out. Oh yeah, he's a high school math teacher. He works at the school that he went to growing up. He also coaches track, cross country and sometimes jr high basketball.

this was about a week after we got engaged

at one of his cross country meets

the ONLY time we've been line dancing. Such fun!

kinda blurry, but I love this picture

The little man I love

After Kevin and I got married, we knew we wanted to start a family pretty quickly since we both weren't getting any younger (we were 32 when we got married). He was actually the one who told me I should stop taking my birth control less than 2 months after we got married. I was pretty shocked at that, but I figured it would take us awhile to conceive since I'd been on the pill for over 10 years and I was getting a bit older. But no. I got pregnant in the first month of trying, so my due date was the day after our 1 year wedding anniversary!

I always knew I wanted to be a mother. I mean I wanted a career too, but when I was asked "what do you want to be when you grow up" I always thought as long as I was a good mom I'd be happy about anything else. I was sad for a long time that my friends and brothers started having kids and I was in crappy relationships with no end in sight. I never thought it'd happen for me. Or I thought when I finally DID find someone, it'd be too late to start a family of my own. I still look at my own little family and am in disbelief that it has actually happened. I am so blessed!! Now that I look back, I'm so glad I didn't have kids in my 20's. If I did, they would have been with crappy guys who weren't right for me and I'd be having to deal with them FOREVER now.

My pregnancy was smooth sailing the entire time. Except in the 3rd trimester I got terrible cankles, swollen feet which were always SUPER hot, and my pelvis ached when I walked. So I can't complain compared to all the other things I could've been dealing with. I was 100% on board with being Team Green, even though Kevin wanted to know. I made him wait. I love surprises and I wanted the ultimate one in the delivery room. I always thought I'd feel that way for every pregnancy (obviously not this time!!). I thought I have having a boy the 1st half, and then I thought girl the 2nd half. Mostly because I *thought* I saw girl parts at my anatomy scan even though it was a super quick pass of the potty shot. Plus the heartrate was always in the 150-160's so I thought maybe that wives' tale had some truth to it. We had our names picked out. Claire for a girl and Calvin for a boy. Hubby suggested the boy name and I immediately turned it down at first. He likes presidential/history stuff and likes Calvin Coolidge so I thought of an old man. Plus I thought was too much like "Kevin". But after a couple weeks it grew on me. I remembered Calvin and Hobbes and figured it could fit a little boy too. Plus it's not common, so I liked that about it too. Then I fell in love with the name. After I liked it I realized "oh no! We're gonna be Karen, Kevin, and Calvin ----" Our last name starts with a K too. Ugh! But I accepted the fact that we'd be THAT family. Oh well! My labor and delivery were super easy too. I assumed they'd send me home after all the stuff I heard about 1st labors taking forever and all that. Nope. I was 5cm when I got to the hospital. We got there at 5:30pm and I delivered just before 9pm after 15 minutes of pushing. He was 8lbs 11oz. I was VERY surpised when Kevin yelled "it's a BOY!!!" We were sooooo happy! I remember saying "yay me!!" cuz I really thought I may need a c-section. I didn't believe I could push a baby out (narrow hips), let alone a baby over 8 1/2 pounds! We didn't care what we had, but were secretly hoping for a boy cuz there were only girls on his side of the family, and only 1 boy on mine. Plus I love having an older brother and I wanted my kids to have a brother being the oldest. I couldn't believe I had just had a baby! I was thinking "what?! OTHER people have kids....not ME!" Such a surreal experience! I can't wait to do it again!

Calvin was such a great baby, other than sleeping through the night. He's 19 months old (today!) and still has issues waking up at least once usually. I think it's payback for such an easy pregnancy. Haha! He is a silly little boy and he cracks me up all the time. He is definitely all boy and is very energetic. He didn't take after Kevin's side of the family! Despite his high energy, he can be super sweet at the same time. He's definitely a mama's boy and will stop what he's doing to give me random hug or play with my hair and say "mmmmmm" while he does it. *swoon!* I can't believe I'm blessed enough to get to do this again, and doubly blessed to get another little guy!! YAY! YAY! YAAAAYYYYY!!!!

This was between contractions before we headed to the hospital. 39 weeks.

I hope I get another hairy baby!!

This is at Steph's wedding. He was 8 1/2 months old here. Clothes for little boys are just man clothes shrunk down!

This is on our vacation last summer. He had just turned a year old.

Christmas 2012

18 month photo. A rare moment of him sitting still.

Last edited by Karen78; February 6th, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
February 4th, 2013, 06:20 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Great story! Holy crap that's cold for a football game, I'm definitely not that big of a fan of ANY team! HA HA
Karen78 likes this.

February 4th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Super Mommy
Love your story!
Karen78 likes this.
February 4th, 2013, 11:29 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Can't wait to learn all about you!
Karen78 likes this.

February 4th, 2013, 02:15 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Love your story! I thought about studying dietetics once, oh for about.... 3 seconds.

Can't wait to hear more!
Karen78 likes this.

February 4th, 2013, 07:00 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cant wait to hear more!
Karen78 likes this.

February 5th, 2013, 09:21 AM
updated with DH stuff

February 5th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Loved reading your story!
Karen78 likes this.
February 5th, 2013, 09:50 AM
What a cute proposal!
Karen78 likes this.

February 5th, 2013, 10:31 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Such a wonderful love story! I love your wedding pictures!
Karen78 likes this.

February 5th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I guess I've never really known your engagement story. I teared up a bit! What a wonderful story!!!
February 5th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph625 View Post
I guess I've never really known your engagement story. I teared up a bit! What a wonderful story!!!
Aw, yay! I forgot to mention how nervous he was. When he put the ring on my finger, his hand was shaking so bad!!! I didn't say anything about it, but it made my heart melt even more!
navywifey2003 and Steph625 like this.

February 6th, 2013, 07:50 AM
updated!

February 6th, 2013, 10:09 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE how much hair Calvin had as a newborn! I hope I get another hairy baby too
Karen78 likes this.

February 8th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Awww what a cute lil guy! And wow Im super jealous you looked great after having him. I looked like crap haha
Karen78 likes this.

February 8th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
Awww what a cute lil guy! And wow Im super jealous you looked great after having him. I looked like crap haha
Haha! Thanks! It's probably only cuz I had time to actually dry my hair that day. Normally it's in a wet ponytail. Oh the things I miss about not having a kid yet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search