Declining

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2013, 10:16 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
routine does not mean requirement.. there are NO requirements a hospital can hold you too..
Eye goop is for Gonorrhea or Chlamydia which can cause blindness
Vit K- is to help with blood
Hep B- another one for sexual transmitted disease.
Heel prick is to test for genetics..

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

February 5th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Veteran
In Canada where im from we are tested before and not given the eye goop or hep b (just the hep bbtill 2 mos (if you immunize) unless positive or requested!

February 6th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow I feel very naive. ..I just thought that stuff was just what happened I didn't realize I could decline it. I will be making a much more informed decision this time around. I remember asking why they needed to put that goop in her eyesbut I was so out of it dh said just go ahead.

February 6th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Fwiw I have done the research and as a scientist, I believe pretty much all the tests and procedures are worth doing from a public health perspective. They exact procedures vary by location based on the prevalence of whatever diseases or conditions in your area, and ideally they do them by your bedside or you can send the dad to keep a hand on baby the whole time. But these are not just mean things the hospital does for fun. Just putting that out there. Please discuss questions with your care provider, they are there to help you.

February 6th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
I'm having a home birth (God willing) so declining it all
February 6th, 2013, 07:06 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
I have never declined anything but i believe i will be declining the eye goop as well this time from the books i have been reading.... it makes more sense.

why do you guys decline the hep b? just wondering.

February 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We accept everything but I will request that everything that can't be done while I am trying to breastfeed my baby for the first time be delayed.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 6th, 2013, 07:24 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We decline Hep B because it is transmitted through body fluids and I don't have it, so no need to immunize a baby against it. I will probably choose to vax for Hep closer to teen years but I don't see a need until then.
LisaS likes this.
February 6th, 2013, 08:01 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I delay Hep B until 2 months. The others I delay for several hours. Really there is no need for any of them but oh well. My hospital policy is rooming in unless there is a specific reason. Baths aren't given until after the first day. Babies have a hard time regulating their body temp if you bathe them immediately. The bath and hearing test are all done in your room so they don't take them away to a nursery. Much better experience than with my first where I kept wondering when they were going to give her back to me.
February 6th, 2013, 08:26 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I decline the Hep B shot. I was going to decline the eye thing last time but didnt have time to and well now I guess after having it done once I dont mind as much. Ill still decline the shot
February 7th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I declined the eye goop with my youngest and will again this time. I've having a repeat c-section and have never had an std so to me there is 0% for him to get it. Everything else I will ask to be delayed a day so I can bond with him and work on BFing.

February 7th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I decline Hep B, for the same reasons as zkat. My kids can get vaccinated for that much later in life.
February 7th, 2013, 09:48 AM
DaniB+4's Avatar Super Moderator
I'll be declining Hep B at birth and the eye goop. I'll also be delaying the bath.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

February 7th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinglifetothefull View Post
why are babies taken to the nursery for?? wow. i thought that was old fashioned.
I thought you had like 8 kids? Wouldn't you know this stuff.
SassySami and 4hearts like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search