Weight Loss/Dieting after Giving Birth?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2013, 06:21 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jennifer,
WOW! If I could LOVE that post, I would. That video just completely made me bawl. It really hits home with my struggles with my illness in sooooo many ways. You really have no idea how much that means to me. Honesty... thank you. Sometimes I have to remind myself its not over. 23 and as sick as I am, it is easy to want to give up. Very very inspiring.

February 9th, 2013, 06:44 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you like running, then Couch 2 5k is an amazing program. I think Pilates would be an excellent fit for you.

If you want to try something a little different, maybe look at Insanity or any of the beach body work out programs. They are intense, but short. It is mostly high intensity intervals using body weight. You can modify the work outs to fit your level. You also do them at home, so if you need to reduce the duration, you can do so easily.

P90x would probably not be a good fit since it is a 90 min work out.

I truly understand the feeling of being 20 something and feeling 90. My celiac went undiagnosed for 11 years. The long term malnutrition was dabilitaring. It took everything I hate to make it to work and back. I don't know much about MS but you can do a lot with diet and exercise. My favorite food truck is Good Karma Kitchen and one of the owners has MS. She has done several interviews on how a vegan/gluten free diet has helped some of her symptoms. I will see if I can find some of her stuff.
February 9th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Yeah! I definitely need to jump on board with the gluten-free. It is a big part of a lot of MS recovery diets. I was doing as much as I could to eliminate it before I got pregnant and I definitely felt a difference. I also lost some weight with just that too, so I am planning to dive more into that again!

February 9th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post

I truly understand the feeling of being 20 something and feeling 90. My celiac went undiagnosed for 11 years. The long term malnutrition was dabilitaring. It took everything I hate to make it to work and back. I don't know much about MS but you can do a lot with diet and exercise. My favorite food truck is Good Karma Kitchen and one of the owners has MS. She has done several interviews on how a vegan/gluten free diet has helped some of her symptoms. I will see if I can find some of her stuff.

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that you have Celiac's. I cannot even imagine how tough that must be. I am glad that they did eventually find out what the cause of your symptoms so you can better manage them.

February 9th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.June2013 View Post
Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that you have Celiac's. I cannot even imagine how tough that must be. I am glad that they did eventually find out what the cause of your symptoms so you can better manage them.
My autoimmune diseases are mild and easy to control with diet only. Notching like what you haveto deal with on a daily basis.
February 9th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
My autoimmune diseases are mild and easy to control with diet only. Notching like what you haveto deal with on a daily basis.
I think they both suck in different ways! We are a couple of unlucky ladies!
zkat likes this.

February 9th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Super Mommy
I am an elliptical machine, light weight, walking kind of girl. I also like to try different videos here and there (tae-bo, jillian michaels, step-aerobics, yoga, pilates, whatever I am in the mood to try). The important thing, I feel, is not to over exert yourself to the point where you don't want to keep up with a plan. Make it fun for you and if it isn't try something super simple like modifying food intake and taking a walk with babies every day you can. It's the little things that work I feel. Sometimes I get really paranoid that working out is making me gain weight so I will take a break but honestly that's no good.. you gotta do something active every day, even if it's just cleaning. (Cleaning IS a workout.. especially with kids!) I admit that this pregnancy I've barely worked out at all and I am so scared for what's to come PP... but I just need to face the music! You can do this! We all can! Just need a good plan of action and a good support system, especially from those that are around you every day.. they NEED to tell you that you need to put down the cake and maybe let's go take a walk and go for sugar free froyo later.. and you need to be okay with that because they are trying to support you. Anyway, good luck honey, you got this! xx
February 9th, 2013, 10:50 PM
You are so right! Thank you!
pamela.burke611 likes this.

February 10th, 2013, 06:10 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.June2013 View Post
Yeah! I definitely need to jump on board with the gluten-free. It is a big part of a lot of MS recovery diets. I was doing as much as I could to eliminate it before I got pregnant and I definitely felt a difference. I also lost some weight with just that too, so I am planning to dive more into that again!
I had no idea! My mom has MS and really struggles with food. She is constantly sick and I've been wondering if she had some sort of intolerance with gluten. I'll have to do some research on it and let her know about the gluten connection.

As for workouts, she took a yoga class back when she was first diagnosed and had a lot of symptoms. She really enjoyed it even with the numbness she was experiencing at the time. I've also suggested to her some basic toning exercises with light hand weights. I do arm toning exercises in the bathroom while waiting for my shower water to heat up. It seems random but it's easy to sneak in 5 minutes to make your arms look good. Are there any mommy groups near you that walk? There is a website you can check- www.seemommyrun.com
February 10th, 2013, 08:26 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me, BF helped drop a considerable amount of weight but even at my pre-preggo weight I was a bigger size than before. To help combat that, I start out slow with a daily long walk through the neighborhood. Build up to two daily walks. Then when I'm clear for exercise after 6weeks PP, I start building back up to my 5-6 days a week workouts. I was doing P90X before I got pregnant so I hope to eventually get back into again. I personally hate running and I have horrible knees so I've got to get my cardio in elsewhere. I can't limit my calories for awhile because I EBF also.

February 10th, 2013, 09:24 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
oh and I lost over 50lbs when I started running!!!
MrsLat likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

February 10th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
I had no idea! My mom has MS and really struggles with food. She is constantly sick and I've been wondering if she had some sort of intolerance with gluten. I'll have to do some research on it and let her know about the gluten connection.

As for workouts, she took a yoga class back when she was first diagnosed and had a lot of symptoms. She really enjoyed it even with the numbness she was experiencing at the time. I've also suggested to her some basic toning exercises with light hand weights. I do arm toning exercises in the bathroom while waiting for my shower water to heat up. It seems random but it's easy to sneak in 5 minutes to make your arms look good. Are there any mommy groups near you that walk? There is a website you can check- seeMOMMYrun - nationwide walking and running groups for moms and their children
Yes! The MS Society hasn't officially confirmed a connection between diet and MS recovery, but if you read the stories about people who have actually done it... it is really amazing. If they actually followed it like they were supposed to, there wasn't a single person that I have found that said it didn't help in some way. There is a program specifically called the MS Recovery Diet and there is a book you can get online about it.

I looked up the mommy group site you mentioned and the ones near me seem to be running groups but maybe if I do some more digging, I can find a walking one...

February 10th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleykathleen View Post
I can't limit my calories for awhile because I EBF also.
While I was EBF I ate around 1800 calories a day, which was close to 500-800 below maintenance level based on my running. (I was training for a marathon and ran 50 miles a week). I found more important than my calories was my water intake. My supply only suffered when I had to take antihistamine for hives. Sami lost an outrageous amount of weight by restricting calories while EBF. It can be done, you just don't want to starve yourself.
February 10th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Yep I EBF, restricted calories to 1800 and lost 50lbs in my first 4 months of running

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

February 10th, 2013, 11:41 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I believe it can be done, just not by me lol. I have issues keeping my supply up and making my babies gain weight (they have both been slow growers). I have lost all of my baby weight before just from BFing so I see no need to limit my calories and have it effect my supply...learned that the hard way with DD. my main issue is toning back up after the weight has been dropped.

February 11th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Here are some pictures.. I started really running September 2011, ran my 1st 5k on Halloween and in May ran a relay marathon race, with a handful of races in between.

This is me 5 months after Nolan.. Pink shirt

Me right after I ran a marathon relay race, 1 year after the first picture

MrsLat likes this.

February 11th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I have seen these pics before, but they never stop making me smile.

You have such an amazing and inspiring story.
February 11th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks my darling but you and Mel are the ones that got me hooked.. Now just get moved out here, so we can run together!

February 11th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Regular
I use my treadmill now, not as fast or as long as I did pre-preg (BH contrax start about 30 minutes in.....) and I have life time membership to Jenny Craig. I've lost a LOT of weight on Jenny, but I also use MyFitnessPal now, and when I'm not on Jenny. I really watch my weight, I tend to gain super fast if I don't. I'm not looking to be super skinny, just healthy.
MrsLat likes this.

February 11th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Veteran
I used my fitness pal! And usually get back what I've gained in each pregnancy except my first!! It's so frustrating!!

I like the couch25k thing!! I've never heard of that and as soon as I'm green lighted after my csections I'm tackling this!!!

Forgot to say my fitness pal has at breakfast breast feeding that adds on 500 cal to your daily intake!! So you can use it EBF !!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search