Weight Loss/Dieting after Giving Birth?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2013, 02:17 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Sept 2014 DDC Co-host
What did you do to lose weight after giving birth previously? Did you do a diet program like weight watchers? What types of exercise did you do? What was your experience?

I was hoping some of you lovely ladies could help give me some tips on weight loss and dieting for after the baby is born. I know that is months away, but it has been weighing (no pun intended, lol) on me lately. I am having my official wedding in October. That is only 4 months after the baby is due! I know it is not realistic to think all the weight is going to be gone, but I would like to look the best I can!

A few other things:

-I cannot breastfeed due to some unsafe MS medications I am on. So I won't have that to help me. Boooooo
-I will be having a c-section so if you have any advice for some low impact type exercises to start with after the 6 week wait, I would LOVE to hear!!

Last edited by MrsLat; February 8th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
February 8th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
From an informal poll we did on the Attachment Parenting board, many mamas do NOT lose weight BFing! Your appetite increases too from it. It just depends on your metabolism and stuff how your body responds to it. And not BFing, you can diet all you want and not worry about your baby's nutrition, so that is a plus for you. Just to put your mind at ease there

I am a huge fan of babywearing. I highly recommend getting an easy carrier like an Ergo with the infant insert. Anytime and anywhere you would take the stroller, carry the baby instead. It is a gentle and low impact exercise but babies LOVE it and it will burn calories and build your strength. Especially if you do it on long shopping trips, walks, at the playground with your big kids, etc.

For dieting I am not experienced, I have the opposite problem! But from what I see friends doing, there are some specific changes that make a huge difference. Liquid calories is a big one. If you drink ONLY water and plain tea or coffee, it cuts out tons of calories for many people. Another big thing is sweets and sugar. If you completely cut out desserts and sugar (read ingredients on packages!) it will change your taste buds and you will enjoy wholesome foods more and it will be easier to choose them. Eat lots of protein so you don't get too hungry, don't deprive yourself of nourishment, just choose something hearty instead of sweet. Hard boiled egg, peanut butter on a banana, etc.

I would avoid crash diets or extreme cleanses. The Paleo diet is really popular but it is a bit extreme for my tastes, at its best it can help you avoid junk food, it is sort of like if the Atkins diet went to a health food store after reading Clan of the Cave Bear In my indirect experience, the South Beach diet is pretty safe and healthy. Hope that helps!!! I have been big into nutrition and health for many years now and so have many of my friends so I have seen a lot of anecdotal experiences
MrsLat likes this.

February 8th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I suppose it all depends on what works for you. I've struggled with my weight for years and I've done every diet out there. I will say, tempting though they may be, stay away from the yo-yo/quick weight loss type diets. I've done my share of them (I was totally addicted to the HCG diet) but they're hell on your body and the weight always comes back. I'm finally coming to grips with the fact that I've been dealing with eating disorders since I was a teenager, and regular diets don't work for me. I get way too obsessive about counting calories, or points or whatever.

Really, the best way to lose weight is just to eat a healthy, varied diet and to exercise regularly. Easier said than done, I know.

February 8th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
I would avoid crash diets or extreme cleanses. The Paleo diet is really popular but it is a bit extreme for my tastes, at its best it can help you avoid junk food, it is sort of like if the Atkins diet went to a health food store after reading Clan of the Cave Bear In my indirect experience, the South Beach diet is pretty safe and healthy. Hope that helps!!! I have been big into nutrition and health for many years now and so have many of my friends so I have seen a lot of anecdotal experiences
I have researched the Paleo diet some... a lot of people with Multiple Sclerosis have sworn by it to help get on top of their symptoms but I am scared to jump off the deep end on that one, but perhaps I should consider it a little more. And thanks for the idea of the baby wearing. Honestly, I hadn't even consider that that might help burn some calories and build strength. I guess I better invest in a babywearing device of some sort! (I don't have one... even after two kids!)

February 8th, 2013, 03:31 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't do paleo, but I completely cut out grains last summer and dropped ten pounds pretty quickly. I felt amazing, too. Starchy foods make me really lethargic. I made a ton of smoothies and ate lots of protein, fruits and veggies. I wasn't so extreme that I NEVER touched anything involving grains as it wasn't an allergy or anything, so if I was at a restaurant and something was breaded I'd eat it. But I did that rarely and never prepared anything grain-based at home. However, I did this after I weaned DD. I did not find BF to help me lose weight; just as a previous poster said, it increased my appetite. I don't know if I would've been able to handle even a slightly restricted diet while nursing. And I second the baby wearing! Long walks with a baby strapped to you are quite a workout!
MrsLat likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

February 8th, 2013, 03:50 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I started my last pregnancy somewhat overweight, BMI somewhere around 28 I think. I gained about 25 pounds total, and had lost about 32 by the time Lucy was two months old. I really think the secret is to take excellent care of yourself while you are pregnant. Eat real food to appetite and do something active every day (obviously that may not apply if you are on restricted activity).

After she was born I continued eating the way I always had. I use MFP to track calories, there are lots of food journal websites and apps available. I started doing easy, modified yoga within a few days, started walking and light weight training after the bleeding had completely stopped, went back to my previous routine after about two months of cardio and strength training 5 to 7 days a week. I started this pregnancy only about 15 pounds lighter than I started the previous, but I am three jean sizes smaller.

And here is a shameless plug for the Mommy Weightloss and Fitness board here on JM. It isn't just about weight loss! I'd love it if any of you came to join us!
Mommy Weightloss and Fitness - JustMommies Message Boards

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

February 8th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I was thinking of joining the Mommy Weightloss and Fitness Board after I gave birth I will have to go lurk...
jhmomofmany likes this.

February 8th, 2013, 07:19 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
With Connor, I was still overweight, I was overweight before I got pregnant with him though, too. Just from breastfeeding alone, I lost weight and was below my pre-pregnancy weight about 6-8 weeks PP. I started weight watchers shortly after his 1st birthday and lost about 30-35 lbs before getting pregnant again. This time, I'll re-join weight watchers 6-8 weeks PP, I think is when they allow me to join back. And at some point I'll head back to the gym lol! I love zumba!

February 8th, 2013, 07:37 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a c-section with Bourne and lost 45 pounds from my post pregnancy weight in about 6 months. I was down to my prepregnancy weight by 16 weeks PP.

I tracked calories on Livestrong and went strictly vegan. That was my choice and preference. You could do a modified Paleo. I have also read a lotnof positive results for inflammatory autoimmune by eliminating grains.

As far as exercise. My OB would allow walking until 6 weeks PP, the. I was cleared for all work outs after that. What type of restrictions/ limitations do youv have with the MS? I am a runner so that is my choice of exercise and I ride the bike on alt days.

I would be happy to research some work outs that would work for you if you let me know what you need/want
February 8th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
I had a c-section with Bourne and lost 45 pounds from my post pregnancy weight in about 6 months. I was down to my prepregnancy weight by 16 weeks PP.

I tracked calories on Livestrong and went strictly vegan. That was my choice and preference. You could do a modified Paleo. I have also read a lotnof positive results for inflammatory autoimmune by eliminating grains.

As far as exercise. My OB would allow walking until 6 weeks PP, the. I was cleared for all work outs after that. What type of restrictions/ limitations do youv have with the MS? I am a runner so that is my choice of exercise and I ride the bike on alt days.

I would be happy to research some work outs that would work for you if you let me know what you need/want
That would be fantastic if you happen to come across some good work outs! I am so lost!

My restrictions with MS are pretty minimal at this point, there is basically just one:

I have to avoid excessive cardio at one time because getting too hot can bring on symptoms. Doctor just said to stick to 15-20 minute sessions at a time until I can see how my body responds I also get really fatigued easily so I need to start out pretty slow and build on it a little at a time.

-strength and flexibility stuff is great because my muscles have atrophied (sp) and are weaker now than they were before my diagnosis.

Last edited by MrsLat; February 8th, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
February 8th, 2013, 08:56 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a friend with MS and lately he's been using a rowing machine. It's low-impact and since his symptoms are pretty advanced and he has a lot of problems with his legs, he can easily modify it and take it as slowly as he needs to. It's helped a TON.
MrsLat likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

February 8th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeofelise View Post
I have a friend with MS and lately he's been using a rowing machine. It's low-impact and since his symptoms are pretty advanced and he has a lot of problems with his legs, he can easily modify it and take it as slowly as he needs to. It's helped a TON.
That is interesting! I will have to look into something like that... I have never heard of such a thing! (Shows you how much I know about exercise equipment, lol) Thank you.
edgeofelise likes this.

February 8th, 2013, 10:13 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
C25k!! Seriously it's pretty amazing. It's 3 days a week for about 30 minutes but there is a 5 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down. The first week is a 5 minute warm up walk, jog for 60 seconds walk for I believe 90 seconds all for 20 minutes alternating then you do your 5 minute cool down. It increases as each week, but it is very doable. I plan on doing it again. I lost 15lbs just doing that and I didnt even finish the program before becoming pregnant. Oh and skinnytaste.com is an amazing recipe data base!

February 9th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Quote:
-strength and flexibility stuff is great because my muscles have atrophied (sp) and are weaker now than they were before my diagnosis.
Have you done yoga or pilates before?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

February 9th, 2013, 06:17 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I started tracking calories and being very obsessed with running, not Kat obsessed but I was pretty close to getting there..

I will start walking with baby asap, nursing, eating great meals. I will pick up running again, I love it!!
zkat and MrsLat like this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

February 9th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didnt really go on a real diet, I just used myfitnesspal app to track my calories and I hit the gym 3-4 times a week. I lost 50 pounds before I got pregnant doing this.

I planned on going to the gym this entire pregnancy, but I am still throwing up and i finally just put a freeze on my gym membership until september when I have recovered from the C section.

I will just go back to the gym, I do 45 min of cardio 4x a week, and 3x a week i did strength training/toning. sometimes both on the same day. I plan on doing this again.

Plus, now that I have quit smoking, im expecting to do even better this time around.

February 9th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I eat healthy and wear the baby everywhere. That, and chase after 2 other kids. Remember that it took time to put on the weight and it will take time to get it off! After my first, I was back in my pre-pregnancy clothes by 9 months with just nursing, eating healthy, and babywearing. We also did a lot more activities like go to the zoo or beach and just that walking while carrying the baby helped, I think.
February 9th, 2013, 11:34 AM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
Swimming! I have a degenerative joint condition and cannot run or do high impact cardio, but swimming is a great way to keep up strength and do cardio without straining your body or overheating. Plus I find it very relaxing!
MrsLat likes this.

February 9th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
Have you done yoga or pilates before?
I haven't! I was thinking about maybe joining a class or something. I just don't want to look like a fool because my balance and flexibility are ridiculously terrible lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
C25k!! Seriously it's pretty amazing. It's 3 days a week for about 30 minutes but there is a 5 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down. The first week is a 5 minute warm up walk, jog for 60 seconds walk for I believe 90 seconds all for 20 minutes alternating then you do your 5 minute cool down. It increases as each week, but it is very doable. I plan on doing it again. I lost 15lbs just doing that and I didnt even finish the program before becoming pregnant. Oh and skinnytaste.com is an amazing recipe data base!
C25k? Okay, off to google to look lol. I have seen the skinnytaste recipes on pintrest. Pretty sure I have a bunch pinned

February 9th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Quote:
I haven't! I was thinking about maybe joining a class or something. I just don't want to look like a fool because my balance and flexibility are ridiculously terrible lol.
Posted this video to the Fitness Board, reposting here just for you
Heart Touching Inspirational Transformation | Do You Even

They say it is really better to learn with an instructor but I have never taken a class. There are lots of videos available, even free ones online that you can try out in the privacy in your own home. If nothing else it would help you decide if you like it before you put yourself out there in a class.
MrsLat likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search