about them afterpains

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2013, 03:59 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Tincture of Cramp Bark. It really puts a dent in the cramping, although after Lucy I ended up using a combination of cramp bark, tylenol, some deep breathing, and lots of cursing.

Probably find it at any health food store. You can take it under your tongue followed by water (it is *nasty* bitter) or put drops in a couple ounces of water and shoot it.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 8th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have heard about that one for period cramps. Do you know if it gets in the breast milk? I hesitate on pretty much all herbs and meds for BFing, esp with a tiny newborn. Although ibuprofen and naproxen/Aleve are pretty safe for BFing, and my extra strength Aleve was totally sufficient pain relief for me last time, I am a bit worried about the pains being worse this time, I hear they are worse with each baby I would not bother with Tylenol, it doesn't touch my worst period cramps so I know it wouldn't help much, but ibuprofen always helped my cramps a lot and Aleve is very similar, they are both NSAIDs and work in the same basic way.

February 8th, 2013, 08:50 PM
I have had it recommended by two midwives, they both considered it safe for breastfeeding.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 8th, 2013, 10:05 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Thanks for the tip.

February 9th, 2013, 06:55 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Interesting. I may look into that. I do remember the after pains being a lot stronger after Abri than they were after Lily. Not really looking forward to it after a third
February 9th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So I was curious about more info on crampbark during breastfeeding. Here is what I found, for those interested.

First off, it looks very likely to be effective as a pain relief for afterpains especially in the higher doses. It has been shown to relax smooth muscle. So it's definitely an active compound and not like "take chamomile tea to relax" if you know what I mean.

It has been traditionally used for afterpains and there are no reports of major problems for the babies. However (this concerned me a bit) it has also been taken by breastfeeding mothers to help make their colicky babies less colicky, because it transfers through the breastmilk. Again this is "traditional knowledge", not studies, but still gave me pause. To some that may be a selling point, but to me I just think of the hundreds of years babies had mercury pastes rubbed on their gums to help their teething- highly effective but causes brain damage too.

The standard warnings for all herbal things that have never been safety tested, apply for crampbark. It has just never been scientifically studied. Very unfortunate since it seems to have some very effective properties and it would be great to have more solid evidence on dosing, etc.

So in the end, I am not comfortable taking it myself, I will stick with the western meds that have been thoroughly studied and have standard doses. I am cautious at this point in my life about herbals with a lack of hard data behind them. But I do not think it is a crazy thing to take and certainly it seems it could be effective. I would probably try it if I were not going to breastfeed.

Hope this is useful to someone
jhmomofmany and Karen78 like this.

February 9th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
^Well I'm screwed then! I can't take ibuprofen because I had an allergic reaction to it when I was in junior high. I swear I've had it since then, but the hospital won't give it to me. And Tylenol is a joke for postpartum pain. I was hoping to take this bark stuff when I read the original post, but I'm going to be EBF so now I'm not so sure.

Balls.

February 9th, 2013, 11:08 AM
You have to do what you decide is best, of course. The way I figure it, the amount of colostrum the baby receives in the first days is very small, and I haven't used it more than a day or two, so I'm done with it a couple days before my milk comes in. I've used it after birth for three EBF'ed babies with absolutely no effects. That has just been my personal experience.
Karen78 likes this.

February 9th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen78 View Post
^Well I'm screwed then! I can't take ibuprofen because I had an allergic reaction to it when I was in junior high. I swear I've had it since then, but the hospital won't give it to me. And Tylenol is a joke for postpartum pain. I was hoping to take this bark stuff when I read the original post, but I'm going to be EBF so now I'm not so sure.

Balls.
Ack, that's tricky!!! A big part of my personal decision is knowing that Aleve or ibuprofen will work well for me, so I have a viable alternative. If I didn't have that option I might consider it more.

There are always risks and tradeoffs that are very personal. If your afterpains are real bad you might want to consider it... pain is not healthy either!!! And maybe just be conservative with the dose.

When there is a lack of real evidence, these risk/benefit analyses get soooo hard. I would bet most midwives would happily recommend crampbark without a second thought because of its tradition of use, but that most doctors would not because of the reasons I stated previously. There is really no one clear answer.
Karen78 likes this.

February 9th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They say the pains are more intense with subsequent births, but I still only took Tylenol after ds3 & it wasn't that bad. I hope the same is true for baby #4. I usually never take medicine for anything (like headaches & minor pains) so I've always wondered if its more effective for me. Like caffeine. I never drink it so if I do have a cup I'm wired for hours whereas dh drinks it everyday so he can drink it and go to bed afterwards.

February 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
After pains were so bad after Everett, I was screaming a cuss word every time he nursed after a few minues it settled but still It sucked!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search