What happens after birth?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hilachu

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I can refuse certain tests and etc. after the baby is born, but if I don't refuse anything, what will happen with baby? I know hospitals are different, but I just want to have an idea of what to expect.
February 9th, 2013, 08:23 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
for us it meant while I delivered the afterbirth/placenta and got stitched up they took care of the baby, did their thing and DH was right with him the whole time, took barely anytime at all and than they brought him over to me
i didn't find any issue with the whole process at all, he was in the room the whole time so its not like they whisk him away to do all that stuff
Karen78 likes this.

February 9th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They've always done all their tests and measurements right in the room, so baby wasn't ever out of my sight. The next day, the only time baby left my side was for the hearing test, but then DH went with them.
February 9th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
After the baby is born and you get your skin-to-skin time they do their thing at this lil station that is wheeled right up next to your bed. It takes only a few minutes and then they're done and you get to hold the baby again.

The longest testing was for hearing and they did that the next day and he was taken out of the room for it. I was trying to sleep at the time and so I opted to stay in my room. It was also only a few minutes but a few longer because they had to walk him down the hall.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 9th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Basically like the other ladies said. My daughter had to be taken to the nursery for a bigger neonatalogy exam bc there had been thick meconium when they broke my water, which can irritate their lungs and cause breathing problems. DH went with her and she was fine so they brought her back in about 15 minutes. That was after some skin time.

I recommend reading some birth stories too. Most ladies describe the immediate post birth events and there is a wide range of scenarios based on both hospital policies and any complications that have arisen. Also it is a great question to ask during any hospital tours or birth classes you take!

February 9th, 2013, 10:19 AM
PurpleStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a c/s - so while I was being closed back up, they brought DS over to me for our first kisses & bonding time. Afterwards, & staying in the OR, DH went with DS while they weighed and measured him and whatnot. Eventually they had to take him to the NICU cause his blood oxygen levels were a little wonky and had to be hooked up. BUT it was really nice that they stayed with me and did all his stuff where could I see & conversate and laugh with DH and the staff...it was a very laid back & happy experience for technically being operated on at the same time.

February 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd agree about asking when you do your hospital tour so you know what you're in for and you can speak up if there's something you don't like.

I wasn't planning a hospital birth so I didn't know ANYTHING about our hospital's policies and I didn't have a written birth plan because my homebirth midwives were totally on the same page as me. Luckily here in Seattle our hospitals are pretty "crunchy" and they never took DD away from me. The only thing that bothered me was the hearing test because they did it while I was holding her in my room and nobody could get the machine to work right so they kept coming in and trying over and over. Finally they got a different nurse who was apparently "really good" at getting a passing result. It seemed to me that if they're going to just keep messing around with holding the machine different ways to essentially rig it into giving a passing result, what's the point of doing it at all? I just wanted to sleep!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

February 9th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The only time any of the boys left my side was to be circumcised otherwise they were in the room for all the testing except for ds2. He was a large baby and had to have some extra test taken, but dh could go with him and watch him. I've been to three different hospitals to have my boys. I'm so happy to be delivering this one with the same dr in the same hospital so tat I understand their routines.

February 9th, 2013, 08:38 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I nurse I go on a after labor high, so I do not sleep for a long time afterwards.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search