Wow! Yay for slings!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By LisaS

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had just finished making my two neutral color slings this week and I went out and spent more money to make two more slings (I had accidentally ordered 4 pairs of rings from the sling ring website). DH wasn't happy that I've spent $100 so far on sling stuff so I decided to sell two (at cost because I'm using a pattern off of Jan Andrea's website and she was kind enough to answer my questions while making my first sling).

DH and I thought I'd have a hard time hawking them but both of the ones I want to sell got snapped up! And one isn't even sewn yet! Yay!

Picture #1: The pink material on the left is what will be turned into the sling and it will have that offwhite/ivory backing. I will pair it with the silver rings
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6MM...it?usp=sharing

Picture #2: My neutral sling! My friend has yet to tell me if she prefers the one with the silver or blue rings.

I'm a little nervous about handing them out to friends because I am terrified that maybe a seam will burst or something and their baby will fall out. I'm printing out the safety and awareness doc that Jan Andrea provides to give to them and will warn them to check the seams on the rings each time before wearing. I wore my 30+lb toddler around the house today and didn't feel/hear any unhappy noises from the fabric so hopefully that means I made them strong enough.

OH! In case anyone is interested in seeing them, these are the materials (with their backing because I like how it looks) I will be using to make my reusable wipes:

If you want to make your own this is the pattern I used:

Jan Andrea at home on the web
edgeofelise likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 9th, 2013, 07:14 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I wish I could sew. It would be a disaster!

February 9th, 2013, 08:30 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can sew but dont have a sewing machine and I dont trust my sewing by hand to be sturdy enough to support a baby or I would totally make a sling....they can be expensive to buy! And i totally love the blue rings with the blue/gray material

February 9th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Very pretty!!

2 slings will be enough, you can pick the one that best matches your outfit and also have a spare for when (not if ) one gets food/spitup/massive random spill on it! They are pretty easy to wash, but then air drying can take awhile.

February 10th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Awesome!!! I don't bother air drying most of my babywearing things. Everything I have is either 100% cotton or a cotton/linen blend and I know those will survive the dryer. I noticed you have multiple lines of stitching holding the rings onto the fabric, and that's really the only weak point of a ring sling. You should be fine!!

(If I were you, I'd get some athletic mesh and make on you can wear in the water too...hehe.)
navywifey2003 likes this.
February 10th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I'm going to wait a few months and do just that LOL. I know we're going to be taking Alex to the water park a LOT this year so it really would come in handy

The goods news too about my slings is that they're all 2.5 yards so if the seams DO begin to come out they can just pop the seams and turn them into a "sewless" ring sling (which requires a different way of threading them through the rings).

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search