question for 'baby wearers' and update on shopping for baby and pictures

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By edgeofelise
  • 2 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By LisaS
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Veteran
okay girls, with my daughter I never tried the whole baby sling thing. I don't have any reason for it I just never did. I always toted around the baby carrier. Now that I look back on it, that was really horrible! I think it would be easier to leave the car seat in the car and "wear baby around", especially since I have a toddler and also I keep hearing how great of a workout it is. So my question is, is it really easier? And, what brand sling do you swear by and how much is it/where can I buy it?

The last few days, my mom, boyfriend, and I have done so many things to prepare for the new baby already! My mom bought my daughter a twin bed and bedding and she and my boyfriend put her crib back together for the baby and they split up the room, half for her/half for him. They put up pictures on her side of the room too and left blank space on baby's side so I could decorate it. I live in a 2 bedroom townhouse currently so they cannot have their own rooms right now. I was completely shocked when I came home from work and saw how they transformed the room!

So, then, the next day my mom and I went shopping and she bought bedding for the baby's crib and pictures to hang on his side on the wall and some new neutral beige curtains for the room and some other cute things. Then today, I went shopping with a friend and went crazy buying a ton of clothes for baby and a little animal blanket (my daughter loves hers). I also let my daughter pick out whatever she wanted because I know she has been feeling a little envious of all of the attention baby Logan is getting and he's not even here yet. For example, she took his bedding blanket out of his crib and put it on her bed and said, "that's my blanky, not Logan's. It's Chloe's." So I want her also to feel she is being paid attention to. She got a t-shirt and a stuffed animal that like you pull a string and it plays music <3 I did go somewhat overboard today but I do not care. In the past couple of days, I feel a lot has been done so I am really happy How is everything coming along with you all? Here are some pictures:

^^ close-up of Chloe's bedding

^^ some of Chloe's side of the room

^^ Logan's crib sheets

^^Logan's bedding

^^ Logan's pictures so far (they go with his bedding )

^^ some of Logan's side of the room

^^ both sides so far

^^ what Chloe picked out today

^^ some things for Logan so far

some really cute swaddler outfits also came with Logan's bedding. I couldn't really show the whole room and I still have a lot of work to do but wow a lot has been done so far! I feel pretty accomplished and so thankful for the help from everyone thus far. Hope you are all having a fun time shopping and decorating too
February 10th, 2013, 08:56 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How sweet!

To answer your question, YES, babywearing is easier than lugging around an infant carrier! The type you'll want depends on what you'll be doing. Going for a hike or a longer walk? Structured carriers like an ergo or a becco are great. Those can also be used with a heavier baby on your back so they're totally worth the money. For a smaller snuggly baby, slings and wraps are great. A wrap was my favorite carrier (we had a moby but they can get really hot with a summer baby; this time I'm drooling over German woven wraps but they're expensive and I don't know if I can justify it to DH) because they distribute weight really well and they're super cuddly and comfortable. DD slept really well in the wrap and I hope Henry does too. I never got the hang of the sling I had when DD was small, but I think that's because it was handmade and I couldn't wear it over my right shoulder because of the padding. I'm left-handed and it always felt awkward. However, when DD was about a year old and constantly wanting up and down, a pocket sling was a lifesaver. It took two seconds to get her in and out, and I didn't have any adjusting to do since it's a sized piece of fabric.

Babywearing can seem really overwhelming with all of the options, but just like with cloth diapers, you'll very quickly learn what works best for you. I'd recommend trying to find carriers that are used or look into a local babywearing group or store that will allow you to try out different carriers. And keep in mind that your baby will like different types, too, so trying them on with a doll beforehand doesn't really work.
navywifey2003 likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

February 10th, 2013, 09:04 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was about to ask this same question because I haven't ever used a carrier/wrap with my other kids! Looking forward to some recommendations

February 11th, 2013, 02:56 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a Becco Butterfly carrier but I got it when she was older so I didn't use it from newborn on. I don't know where the infant insert is (or if it had one?) so I am going to see if I need to buy an insert. I also have a Moby which I liked, I have a sling type one but I didn't like the fit. In the beginning I got a cheap Baby Bjorn one and it was AWFUL. I would recommend spending the money on a good one because I wasted a lot of money before I bought the Becco where I think if I would have bought that first it would have been great.

Last edited by mommy220; February 11th, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
February 11th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I didn't start baby wearing this my youngest. I fell in love with it. I will be wearing Zack too. I have a Moby wrap and a Mai Tie and love both of them but I'm a bigger fan of my Mai Tie. I have a ring sling too but never figured it out.

February 11th, 2013, 06:52 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no tips on baby wearing. We got a Britax carrier for this baby bc it was part of a promotion, but I have no idea if it will be any good or not.

I did want to say that I am so excited for you for your big surprise you got when you came home from work. What a wonderful thing for your SO and mom to do for you! And the room looks fantastic! What kind of crib is that? I love it and I am having a terrible time choosing one.

February 11th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Moms Milk Boutique is a great online store that has babywearing info and products!

In my opinion the easiest carriers to learn are: soft structured carrier (ergo, Boba, Beco are the big ones) and a pocket sling (for a baby with head control) (no adjusting, but you have to get one that fits!) Slightly more learning/practice involved: ring sling (Maya, Sakura Bloom), stretchy wrap (Moby, Sleepy Wrap), Mei Tai (Babyhawk, many others). The hardest to learn but the most rewarding from what I hear are the woven wraps. I have one that I never got DD to get into properly, she was 10 months old and very wriggly and uncooperative when I got it but I want to start using it on the newbie right away!

If you can find a local babywearing group or store that sells carriers and does demos, that is ideal. It is really easy to learn how to use even the most complicated carriers when you have someone helping you in person! On your own, it takes more time. Do not get a Baby Bjorn or Infantino or other "crotch dangler", these are not ergonomic for you or the baby and you can't use them very long.

If you wanted the easiest possible experience, I would get a soft structured carrier (SSC). I have both an Ergo with infant insert, and a Boba, and they are both awesome. They are the only carriers I have that everyone from grandparents to aunts and uncles are perfectly happy to use, they are easy and very secure and work for tiny newborns up to big toddlers!

Very exciting about the kids' room! I am still organizing baby clothes and have a lot of rearranging to do. But my DD and baby boy will be sharing a room too
navywifey2003 and edgeofelise like this.

February 11th, 2013, 08:50 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For around the house, I love my Moby. I tie it on in the mornings and slip baby in through out the day. Out and about I like the Ergo. It's easy to get into and not super hot.
February 11th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You can find some cheap used woven wraps on Thebabywearer.com . They have a FSOT forum and you can get some as low as $65. Woven wraps are my go-to babywearing thing until the kids start walking. Then I switch to a toddler sized soft structured carrier like a Tula or Kinderpack so that I can get them up and down a lot faster. I still sometimes use my SSC with my 2.5 year old if we're going to be out and about all day at Disneyland or something. He's good about walking, but 8-10 hours of it is hard on little legs, so I end up wearing him for the last hour or two.

The room looks great!
navywifey2003 likes this.
February 11th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Rochelle
I like how you have the room split up. Very nice
February 11th, 2013, 01:49 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Lisa is awesome in wrap advice. I really want a woven but I'm scared I would hate it and not be able to figure it out. We have 2 Ssc. One ergo and a boba. The ergo my husband loves while I love the boba. The boba is made more for older babies while the ergo can be used on littler babies.
LisaS likes this.

February 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Veteran
omg thank you so much ladies! I will be looking into all of your suggestions!
February 12th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
Just wanted to vouch for both the Moby and the Ergo. Both were AWESOME with DD and I will never lug a car seat around ever again haha Also love the way you split the room My DD and her brother will eventually share a room as well

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
February 12th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You should try it out, Lyndsey. It's way easier (IMO) than a stretchy wrap. And if you don't like it, you can resell it for what you paid for it, in most cases.
February 12th, 2013, 09:32 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I'm stalking bst for one and waiting for my membership to be approved for the baby wearer.

February 13th, 2013, 05:44 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Still stalking this post to see if I can find out what kind of crib that is.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search