Grandparents

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2013, 09:34 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
What will your little one call his/her grandparents?
What did/do you call yours?

February 10th, 2013, 10:28 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents are divorced and remarried so my kids have two sets of grandparents on my side. My mom/stepdad are Gigi and Papa (pronounced paw-puh). My dad/stepmom are Gigi Dawn and Grandpa Kenny (or just Grandpa).

DF's mom overdosed and died before any of the kids were born and his dad has neer been in the picture. His grandparents are more like his parents and we called them Granny and PawPaw when they were alive.

Since my parents are remarried, I have lots of grandparents: Nanny and Papa, Grams, Meme and PawPaw, Gran and Big Daddy

February 10th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DD calls Dh parents mamaw & papaw...apparently it is an Ohio thing, they are from Ohio.
DD calls my parents grandma and papa

I called my grandparents grandma & grandpa on both sides except my step grandma on my dads side I called her Peg growing up. When I got older I called my moms mom nana Rosie or gma. I now sometimes call my step grandma just grandma.

February 11th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
My grandparents were Nana and Papa, and Mama and Poppy.

My parents are now Nana and Papa, and hubby's parents are Grandma and Papa (but they pronounce it PawPaw.) It's annoying because his family sometimes pronounces it Papa, so my son is getting confused. It'll stay annoying until he's old enough to say the difference....or just treat it like anyone else with the same name. *sigh*

February 11th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
my mom is me-ma
DH's mom is Nanny
My stepmother is Nanna

My Dad is Poppy
DH's dad is Grandpa Joe

My grandmother is called GiGi by my kids, but has always been gram to me.

DH's grandmother was Nanny all his life until once day she announced at a BBQ that she would like to be called Grandma now. This was a couple years ago.

My grandfather is Pop and My step grandfather was Pappy

February 11th, 2013, 07:15 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
What will your little one call his/her grandparents?

My parents are Grammy & Papa (chosen by my parents, Connor was their first) and DH's parents are Mimi & Grandaddy (chosen before Connor was here, they are raising a grandkid)

What did/do you call yours? Grandma & Grandpa, but apparently that's not cool enough these days! LOL

February 11th, 2013, 07:19 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
My dad um they call him Greg, you have to earn the title grandpa
My stepdad is Grandpa
My grandpa is Papa
My grandma was Grandma tell she passed away

Joes mom is Grandma and his stepdad is Grandpa Mike..

I call my Grandpa, Grandpa

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

February 11th, 2013, 07:28 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents are Grammy and Pops. DH's parents are Grandma Lu and Grandpa Tony. I hate that they use first names. It feels so impersonal so me. We refer to them as Grandma and Grandpa but with everyone else using the names, she's starting to pick that up. (DH doesn't care for the use of the names either, but his 20 year old nephew determined he names long ago.)

DD has three grandparents still living: Pappy (my mom's dad), Mommom (my day's mom), and Nana (DH's dad's mom). She never met Pappap (my dad's dad), she adored Nanny (my mom's mom) who passed away in November, and saw Papaw (DH's dad's dad) every time we visited GA, but he passed away last week. Lots of different names around here and she knows who they all are.

February 11th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD calls my mom Gamma and my dad Grandpa and my step-mom Grandma or Grandma Debbie.

SO's parents don't have any grandkids yet (Aidan is the first).

I always called both of my grandmas Grandma. Never met my parents' dads.

#1, 4, 5, 7
February 11th, 2013, 08:57 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD calls my mom Gumma and my dad Papa(pronounced pawpaw)
DHs adoptive parents are both deceased (lung cancer...smoking is bad!)
DHs birth mom weve only seen once but refer to her as grandma

I called my Grandparents Grandma and Grandpa. I had two grandmas and only one grandpa growing up and if i was talking to someone else about my grandmas I used last name to differentiate. But as a young child I called my grandpa Boppa until i was about 8 and decided it was babyish. And picked it back up shortly before he passed away. (Both of my biological grandpas died before i was born when my parents were young) But my grandpa raised my mom and aunts and treated all us grandkids like his own. Most wonderful man ever and I miss him everyday.

February 11th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both DH and my parents are divorced and remarried, so our kids have twice as many grandparents.

Grandma Suzie and Larry - DH's mom and her boyfriend/partner/whatever
Grandma Suzanne and Grandpa Keith - DH's dad and (wicked) step-mother
Grandma and Granddad - My mom and step-dad
Nana and Pop-pop, or Nan and Pop - My dad and step-mum

She also has a few great grandparents, and she just calls them the same thing as we do - DH's grandmother is Gramma, and my grandmother is Grandmum.

February 11th, 2013, 09:07 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My kids call my parents grandma and papa. We don't really speak to kyles side of the family but we refer to them as grandma and grandpa.

My moms parents were grandma and papa. My dads dad passed away before I was born so I just refer to him as Ralph or dads dad. And his mom was grandma. I do not have anymore living grandparents.

February 11th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My parents are poh-poh and gung-gung (Chinese). My stepdad is just Grandpa Pete. DH's parents are Grammy and Granddad (MIL and her BF), then Grandpa Poo (FIL's college nickname).
February 11th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My parents are Nonny/Nanny and grandpa (M has not come up with a name she calls him yet). DH's dad is granddad.

I called all my grandparents Grandma/Grandpa.

February 11th, 2013, 10:59 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Ya-Ya and Dad-dad are my parents. My niece came up with Ya-Ya somehow around 18 months and Lily couldn't say granddad so it came out Dad-dad

My MIL is Granny. DH's father passed away before kids and we don't keep in touch with his stepmom. I don't think the kids have ever met her before.

My mom's parents were Grandma and Granddaddy. My grandmother passed away right after my niece was born and I had just found out I was pregnant with Lily. The girls called my grandfather Great-Granddaddy. He passed away last year.

My dad's parents are Grandma and Grandpa. They live halfway across the country and don't travel, so they've only met Lily once as a toddler.
February 11th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Veteran
my parents are called Oma and Opa (German) and my boyfriend's parents are divorced so two sets there. His mom and her husband are called Nana and Pappy and his dad and his dad's fiance' are called Grandma and Grandpa.
February 11th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaze View Post
my mom is me-ma
DH's mom is Nanny
My stepmother is Nanna

My Dad is Poppy
DH's dad is Grandpa Joe

My grandmother is called GiGi by my kids, but has always been gram to me.

DH's grandmother was Nanny all his life until once day she announced at a BBQ that she would like to be called Grandma now. This was a couple years ago.

My grandfather is Pop and My step grandfather was Pappy
I call my dad 'Poppy'
February 12th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
My parents are separated (over 5 years and just too lazy to divorce) and his parents are divorced and both remarried.

She calls my mom Baba and my dad Dido
She calls DH's mom and step-dad Nan and Pop
She calls DH's dad Grandpa and his wife Grandma Heather

I called my grandparents Bousha and Dido

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
February 12th, 2013, 08:02 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well Drake calls my FIL Pop Pop and my MIL Grandma so Im sure thatll be the same for all the kids. My mom is the Chinese word for grandma Pao Pao. My father passed away so or he would have been Gong Gong

I called my grandparents the Chinese equivalents. My dad's mom is Ni Ni and she is still alive. My dad's dad was Eiee Eiee but he passed away a bit ago. My mom's mom was Pao Pao and I never had a Gong Gong because my mom's dad died when she was in high school
February 12th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Super Mommy
My dad was Papa before he died and my step mom is Nana, but sometimes the boys just call her Sheri.
We refer to my mom as Grandma Laura (Isaac hasn't seen her since he was a baby and she never met Gabe before she died)
DH's dad and step mom we refer to as Grandpa Bill and Grandma Meghan (they never call or try to make a short trip out here)
DH's mom and step dad have always been Grandma and Grandpa.

I've always called both sets of my grandparents Grandma and Grandpa. Sometimes I call my dad's parents Ma and Pa. The boys call them Grandma Joy and Grandpa Don. My mom's mom is Grandma Marge. When we talk to DH's grandma on the phone we call her Grandma Kathy (we almost never see her)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search