Education

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2013, 10:40 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Do you and your so/dh have the same level of education? If you work outside the home do you have equivilant type jobs?

February 11th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Education-He has a 2 year degree I don't
Umm he has aa government job & I'm a realtor so my income potential is larger than his but his pants really well & has great benefits

February 12th, 2013, 04:50 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
We both have a 2 year associates degree at the moment. We were working in similar jobs (at the same company when we met), before getting pregnant with Connor.

Now that we've moved to a different state, we both have to wait a bit before we can go back to school so we don't have to pay more for out of state tuition. DH plans on going back ASAP for a business/marketing degree. I originally wanted to go back for my teaching degree, so that I could be working in the school system when my children are school age. I'm most likely still going to go that route, maybe just not a full teaching degree, just a certification or something. I would LOVE to go to culinary school, too, though!

February 12th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH has a two year degree and a really great job.

I've been to more years of school than DH, but I kept changing my mind about what I wanted to do and never finished anything except a 1 year certification for Dental Assisting...but I figured out pretty quickly that I hated that and the pay sucked. So up until I became a stay at home mom, I had a series of crappy office jobs that paid 1/4 what DH makes. Daycare and commuting was costing more than I had the ability to earn, so that's when we decided for me to stay home.

February 12th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
We both have our master's degrees. Our jobs are not similar at all though. He is a high school math teacher and I'm a dietitian. Plus right now I only work 2 evenings a week. I plan to go back to full time after the kids get older.

February 12th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Super Mommy
DH is nearly done with his 2 year degree. I graduated HS but have been so indecisive about what I've wanted to do so I haven't gone back to school yet. I'm glad I didn't either, because I finally know what I want to do, either Early Childhood Education or an ASL translator. I always thought I wanted to go back for some kind of Business degree and now I know that would just bore me to tears.
February 12th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Mrs_lynn.c's Avatar Expecting#5
DH and I both have grauated high school but nothing else. He builds houses and I have worked in various lines of work. I started school for nursing but never finished cause DH was hurt and had to care for him around the clock for almost two years.
February 12th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
He has a HS diploma, and has graduated from trade school to become a journeyman. I only have a HS diploma. I work at home as a mom and consultant for Scentsy. He is a sheet metal worker.

February 12th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
In have a two year degree with plans on starting a bachelor program online this fall. Husband has bachelors degree. Our careers are completely different.
February 12th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dh is much smarter than me!
I have a bachelors degree in Elementary Education and about half way through a masters, but I don't think I'll ever go back.
Dh has a bachelors in Bio or Chem I can't remember. Then he went to pharmacy school.
February 12th, 2013, 07:22 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We both have bachelors degrees and I'm 3 classes away from my masters (don't ask my how many years it might take until I actually finish that LOL).

We both have similiar jobs but not in our fields. I graduated with a history degree and received my certificate in secondary education. To say that is probably the least needed degree for education in my area is the understatement of the year. I substituted for a couple years but just didn't like it.

DH went to the University of the Arts for Illustration and does that part time during the day - he is a horror illustrator so it is a pretty targeted clientele. He has done a couple book covers for small time publishers and has been featured in some horror magazines such as cemetery dance. I'm ridiculously proud of him and wish he had more time to do his art instead of bartending to make the bills.

We are hoping once all the kids are in school he can focus more on his art and taking up more comissions again. He keeps turning projects down because he knows he doesn't have the time to devote to it. =( It breaks my heart.

February 12th, 2013, 07:35 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
My husband and I both have our bachelors degrees, and DH is working on his MBA now. He has more years of work experience than me, and his job pays probably 3x what my job does. I am a claims examiner and he is a safety manager.

February 12th, 2013, 07:37 AM
safarilime's Avatar Super Mommy
DH and I both had degrees we don't use lol
DH has a degrees in social work and clinical cousiling and he works at a juvenile detention center and I am a stay at home mom with a associates in accounting.

February 12th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH and I both have our bachelor's degrees, mine in history, his in Classical Studies and History.

DH is a High School History and Latin teacher, and I was working as a Special Ed Para, but now I substitute teach.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
February 12th, 2013, 08:00 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We both have BAs but my DH has a BA and a BS. He uses his degree more than I do right now as Im a nanny and he is a teacher
February 12th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
DH has a PhD in computer science and works as a software engineer for a big Silicon Valley tech company, he used to work in government research. I have a Masters degree in civil & environmental engineering and was in a PhD program but left with a Masters. I worked as a scientist and engineer in consulting and government research. At one time we both had govt research jobs and similar earnings (I had more years experience) but now I am a SAHM and he is making very good money in the private sector and has the potential to make a lot more over time. My field has limited earning potential, unless you want to work for the bad guys (i.e. helping big polluting companies like oil and agricultural chemical companies get off the hook - not my bag ).

February 12th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Regular
I have a 2 year diploma in Oil and Gas stuff, and DH has a 4 year journeyman certificate for a mechanic. I'm a college instructor for the program that I took and DH is a mechanic and full time farmer. On paper I make more than him, but in reality, he makes way more per year than me!!

February 12th, 2013, 09:55 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I have my associates and so does my husband. My husband is currently working on his bachelors and with navy training it shouldnt be much longer. He is getting his degree in history. He did start with business but hated it and I did not want him to get a degree in something he hated. He also has his journeyman's license in electrical work since that is what he does in the navy. He is currently working on another one.

February 12th, 2013, 10:54 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
DH and I both have 4 year degrees, but I went to a better school. I have a BA in History but I'm just an administrative assistant. I used to be a realtor working for a large regional homebuilder, but that ship has sailed. DH has a BA in Criminal Justice and BS in Finance. He works for a large bank. I think at some point he will go back for his MBA
February 12th, 2013, 11:49 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH is almost done with his BS degree. Soooo proud of him, he went back to school when I found out I was pregnant with Gabe to make a better living and he will graduate this summer! Then he wants to go on for an MBA, but we don't know when yet.

I am also almost done with my BS degree, but it will take me A LOT longer because I can only manage one-two classes a semester and will be taking a break next fall because of the new baby. Even when I graduate though, he will still likely make much more money than I ever will!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search