Lent

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ashleykathleen
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By bribugg13
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
Does anyone observe Lent?

I do and decided to give up chocolate. This is a huge sacrifice, especially since I WANT chocolate everyday!! I tell my husband my plans and he calls me rights away telling me this decision may or may not impact tomorrow! Chocolate freezes, right?
February 13th, 2013, 10:19 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I dont, but you are one brave lady!

February 13th, 2013, 11:29 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm torn on this. My church decided a couple years ago that there is no reason to give up something for lent any longer that it wasn't enough to get the point across about sacrifice so they switched to doing charity works and other things during lent. You are supposed to offer up to a certain amount of time per week to help with the church's charities whether it is the meals for the poor and homebound, tutoring underprivileged kids and so forth. There are about 10 charities that my church works with on a daily basis and lent is when they get the most help to do it.

But even that seems fake to me when you are just doing it during Lent. So I'm torn if I'm going to continue the tradition of "giving" something up or abstaining from something for the 40 days or what.

I grew up in a strict roman catholic family - we never ate meat on fridays. EVER. Not just during lent. My grandfather and my mom went to church every single morning for 6 oclock mass. I think I have a severe case of catholic guilt that something as simple as Lent is making me freak out. hahah

February 13th, 2013, 12:00 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomsgrl11 View Post
I grew up in a strict roman catholic family - we never ate meat on fridays. EVER. Not just during lent. My grandfather and my mom went to church every single morning for 6 oclock mass. I think I have a severe case of catholic guilt that something as simple as Lent is making me freak out. hahah
This is me exactly. I grew up in a strict Catholic family and I still have guilt when I fix meat on Fridays. I have since switched over to an Episcopal church (I like to call it Catholic-light: same amount of sin, half the guilt ). I observe Lent and was having a heck of a time deciding what to give up until a few hours ago. I've decided to give up Facebook. I don't really dabble in any other social media (other than JM) so you girls will be my only social media connection for the next 40 days!
phantomsgrl11 likes this.

February 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I don't typically observe Lent, but DH is Catholic. He's pretty laid back about it though. I had to remind him today that it was Ash Wednesday and maybe he should go to church this year. I also told him he needed to figure out what to give up. He said he would give up listining to me. I decided to play along this year though. I am going to give up any shopping other than the necessities (groceries, etc.) So no new maternity outfits or little things that we don't really need.
navywifey2003 likes this.
February 13th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Super Mommy
i'm methodist and we observe lent but do not have to give anything up and we can still eat meat on fridays. however, our pastor sometimes encourages us to gain something during this time, for example - commit to exercising twice a week, or giving to charity, or reading the bible more
February 14th, 2013, 05:42 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I don't, but currently living in a very strict Catholic household (the in laws), they do. So it was supposed to be no meat yesterday (I didn't know) when MIL said we were having Papa Murphy's pizza for dinner and what kind did I want....I always get the chicken garlic lol. Later that afternoon DH informed me why they were doing pizza - oops! Oh well, they know I'm not Catholic and don't expect me to follow "the rules".

They also say grace every night before dinner, which I respect, but don't know the words so I don't say it (Catholic grace? It's complicated lol). But Connor is starting to get involved, he always laughs, puts his hand to his forehead to begin, and puts his hands together in prayer when it's time. I think it's cute.
QueenCrafty likes this.

February 14th, 2013, 12:18 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribugg13 View Post

They also say grace every night before dinner, which I respect, but don't know the words so I don't say it (Catholic grace? It's complicated lol).
Oh my goodness there are a lot of words at specific times that they say. I always look totally lost at church during mass because everyone knows them by heart and DH has to fumble through the book to find it for me.
bribugg13 likes this.
February 14th, 2013, 03:11 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
Oh my goodness there are a lot of words at specific times that they say. I always look totally lost at church during mass because everyone knows them by heart and DH has to fumble through the book to find it for me.
lol I just bow my head and put my hands together...it works!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search