Heartburn

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cheerfulsunrise
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Having heartburn in my throat seems so weird to me. Prepregnancy, I felt it in my chest a lot. I will take this burning in my throat over the pain in my chest any day!
February 15th, 2013, 07:23 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't know why, but I have always felt my heartburn in my throat, even before pregnancies At least the Tums don't have very far to go to soothe things!!
Hopeful2BMommy likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When it's in your chest, it hurts sooo bad. The first time I had it, my dad wanted to take me to the er it was so bad.
February 15th, 2013, 05:05 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had heartburn pretty much since I got my BFP, and it's been mainly in my throat or very high in my chest. My doctor told me I can take 2 Pepcid Complete a day, and it's been a miracle to me!

February 15th, 2013, 10:10 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I had it in my chest last night, I was crying.

February 16th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
I had it in my chest last night, I was crying.
Me too. Is this one of those symptoms that goes away? I never had it with my boys. I don't like it and I don't know how I'm going to survive 3 1/2 more months of nightly heartburn.

February 16th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I used to have severe gastritis and heartburn issues and still get bad heartburn from pregnancy. So let me just share a few remedies I have tried.

The medication option is Zantac. It is not proven totally safe for pregnancy (lack of studies) but many OBs will tell you to take it if your symptoms are bad enough, it is not uncommon to take it and there have been no reported problems. I try to avoid this option but it is out there.

For immediate relief, there are a few big things I have found. In a pinch you can just drink a dash of baking soda in a glass of water, it is alkaline and neutralizes the acid. However it tastes yucky and is high sodium, not the greatest. There is also Alka Seltzer Heartburn Relief. Make sure it is the right type of Alka Seltzer, most of them have aspirin and stuff you don't want, but one kind is JUST the antacids. It is also high sodium so be careful if you have blood pressure issues. But highly effective for immediate relief.

Tums are great, they neutralize acid with calcium compounds, but even the max strength ones are not so effective for severe heartburn. I try to pop one or two at the first sign of discomfort though. Calcium is a good vitamin to take too so it's like an added bonus

My personal favorite (since I also suffer a lot of pregnancy related constipation) is a calcium-magnesium CALM brand powder. The magnesium is a non-stimulant (preg safe) laxative and both Ca and Mg are alkaline and great for neutralizing acid. So this stuff is a godsend for me!!! It works better than Tums since I can make a strong small glass of it that coats my esophagus pretty well, or I can do a big glass with just a little bit, depending on my needs.

Also, not everyone knows this, but your stomach empties to the side more than downwards, and if you LIE DOWN on your LEFT side, it helps the stomach empty. Studies have shown it is reasonably effective even without any other remedy. This is also very important when you have a stomach full of acidic overeaten food I *always* lie or lean on my left side after taking any kind of heartburn relief. Otherwise the acid can just come right back up again.

Hope this helps some of you ladies!!! I hate heartburn and have battled it for years (mainly while preggo since I quit my stressful career) but I keep it under control these days with Tums, CALM cal-mag powder, and lying on my left side a lot
navywifey2003 likes this.

February 16th, 2013, 09:08 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Thanks for the advice Hun! I will look into those.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search