Spinal for c-section?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By SassySami
  • 1 Post By phantomsgrl11
  • 1 Post By Madison.Hailey.Zack
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By Madison.Hailey.Zack
  • 1 Post By farmfourmama
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By dmreed32

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Super Mommy
Hi Girls! Last time I had a c-section I had an epidural and had absolutly no problems with it HOWEVER this time my OB wants to use the spinal and I have to admit..................I AM FREAKING OUT about it I have googled things about it and SO many people have said that they get numbed to their necks and feel as though they can't breathe and some have said that they actually stopped breathing The spinal has me so stressed out..have any of you had the spinal and how was your experience?
February 15th, 2013, 07:03 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
If you do not feel comfortable with it, then stand up for yourself! You have your rights! If your OB does not listen, find a new ob. Just because you are their patient, does not mean they can bully you into things.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

February 15th, 2013, 07:05 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a spinal - and yeah I felt like my chest wasn't rising and falling but once he took a mirror and showed me that it was....I stopped freaking out if that makes sense. I just couldn't feel that I was breathing. It's hard to describe but once he put my fears at ease I was completely fine and ready to see the baby.

I had a great recovery my only problem was it took 3 pokes to get it in the right spot on my back so my back was pretty sore for a few days but I imagine that could happen with an epidural too - plus I'm a bigger girl so it's hard to find the right spot anyway. I was so concerned about getting a spinal headache like my mom did when she had my sister but I had no problems at all.
Karenna likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I've only ever had a epi so I will for sure be making sure I'm only getting a Epi this time too.
Karenna likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Super Mommy
Madison and Haileys mom-you had the epidural for both c-sections? I think I will really push for the epidural this time. My doc kept saying that they don't like using an epidural for c-sections usually because it can be patchy. My first c-section was awesome with the epi and I didn't have any problems with it being patchy-so I am PRAYING that this time I can talk them into letting me have the epidural and also praying that it won't be patchy if they do let me have it lol.
February 15th, 2013, 02:22 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have only had spinals. I have never had an epidural so I guess I am not a very good example about the difference between the two. But I have never had any problems with them! No headaches--no feeling like I couldn't breathe. So I hope you have a similar experience with yours.

I kinda liked the spinal because I was in labor in both previous pregnancies by the time I got in for my c-sections and it kicked in QUICK. Like as in 2 minutes quick. Such a relief for me because I don't handle pain very well LOL. But like I said, I don't have an epidural experience to compare it to!

Like the other ladies said, just talk to the doctor about your concerns if you would be more comfortable with the epidural. Even if he isn't willing to do an epidural instead; maybe he could at least answer your questions and help ease your fears about the spinal.
Karenna likes this.

Last edited by MrsLat; February 15th, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
February 15th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenna View Post
Madison and Haileys mom-you had the epidural for both c-sections? I think I will really push for the epidural this time. My doc kept saying that they don't like using an epidural for c-sections usually because it can be patchy. My first c-section was awesome with the epi and I didn't have any problems with it being patchy-so I am PRAYING that this time I can talk them into letting me have the epidural and also praying that it won't be patchy if they do let me have it lol.

Found out today that I had a spinal with my first since it was an emergancy c-section and an epi with my youngest. I just remember having a different reaction with each. With my oldest I was fine after. With my youngest I threw up and was really dizzy and it took over an hour for me to feel ok enough to hold her. I saw the PA today so I'll talk to my doctor next month when I see her about what we will do this time.
Karenna likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Veteran
I wouldn't worry about what you get it is pretty much the exact same. I have had both. And my recovery after my spinals was way better.

I also had to go through labour with the epidural. They then went for emergency casarean and cut me and I was "patchy" and could feel everything! I then was put completely out on general anaesthetic. And that is THE WORST compared to a spinal!! You miss everything with baby.

Personally I wouldn't take a chance on the epidural and just get the spinal! You aren't numb within 1-2 hrs and you can always meet with the delivery anasteisiologist before hand to discuss differences as exactly what they are giving you.

Here is an anasteisiologist's comments on the difference:
The procedure is the same, but generally an epidural catheter is left in your back, so that you can get a constant infusion of numbing medication for as long as your labor lasts, whereas a spinal is just one shot of medication. They might use a spinal when they know how long you need to be numb (for example, if you were to have a C-section) or if you are very close to delivering, and they know you only need to be numb for an hour or so before you deliver. Spinals tend you make you more numb so that you may not feel anything, whereas with epidurals you MAY feel something, but still not pain if it is working correctly.

So chances are if you were in labour and trying to deliver vaginally you had an epidural but they probably gave you a much higher dose for when it was time for casarean. Spinal block is giving you all the medicine right at the get go. It all goes in via the same route.
Karenna likes this.

Last edited by farmfourmama; February 15th, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
February 15th, 2013, 10:04 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I have no advice hugs though!
Karenna likes this.

February 16th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Super Mommy
Thank you everyone, you are making me feel MUCH better! It seems as though this whole spinal thing has me more worried then the actual c-section it self LOL!
February 16th, 2013, 08:49 AM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
I had a spinal. It took three tries to work. I had no problems as far as the breathing or complete numbness. I felt no pain but I did feel sensation and felt them moving things around
Karenna likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search