Coffee during pregnancy?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By Mia88
  • 1 Post By bribugg13
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 2 Post By Kim3
  • 2 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By Madison.Hailey.Zack
  • 1 Post By hilachu
  • 1 Post By bribugg13
  • 1 Post By TeresaV
  • 1 Post By Rissa6213
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By Joanne Nicole
  • 1 Post By sunnydaze

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know this may be a stupid question but then again no question is ever stupid lol but is it ok if I drink one cup of coffee here and there? I've had about 5 cups of coffee since finding out I was pregnant in October. I know they say drinking coffee in moderation is ok but I just wanna hear how you ladies feel about this subject. I had a cup of coffee a little bit ago to actually try and get some energy to get some house work done since I've been starting to lose my energy again. I really wanna get things done around the house since my due date seems to be approaching at a fast rate. Now I feel guilty for having coffee does a little bit of caffeine affect the baby and how? All i can picture now is her little heart racing thanks to the caffeine. I'm punishing myself by only drinking water the rest of the weekend.

February 15th, 2013, 01:42 PM
i think coffee is okay as long as you arent like me, if i have one cup in the morning i am drinking it all day...

i think i read that caffiene can affect your baby by raising your blood pressure and heart rate, i dont think that the problem lies so much in the baby getting a little caffiene, (just may make it a bit hyper for a bit like a sugar rush...)

so i dont know, if your asking for opinions, if you can limit it to one or two cups a day then i say go for it, but its completely up to you, its your body and baby
Gen88 likes this.
February 15th, 2013, 01:50 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I drank 1-2 cups of coffee, and usually a caffeinated soda or tea in the afternoons with my first pregnancy and doing the same with this one. Me or baby have never had any problems, and I'm a coffeeaholic for sure.
Gen88 likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 01:54 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is not harmful to the baby at all. I typically drink a cup a day when pregnant and more than that of decaf (which still has small amounts) It may wire the baby for a little, similar to sugary snacks but then baby wears out and naps. The amount of caffeine you hear about is large quantities - like 2 venti starbucks a day.
Gen88 likes this.
February 15th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for putting my mind at ease ladies. I only drink like one cup of coffee in a month. I feel better now

February 15th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DRINK UP Truly I asked the doc as I have a terrible coffee addition. She is a female doc who had a child while practicing. She said 1-2 per day is fine. Perhaps don't down 2 right after another. Don't give it a second thought. Enjoy.
bribugg13 and Gen88 like this.

February 15th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, the only evidence of caffeine being risky in pregnancy is in causing 1st trimester miscarriages, and even that is only at 3+ coffees a day. I have coffee and tea occasionally, even in the 1st tri, and don't think twice about it
bribugg13 and Gen88 like this.

February 15th, 2013, 03:01 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have caffeine on a daily basis. Not coffee, but soda. I can't get anything done without a little bit. So you definitely aren't alone! I just stay under the limits they recommend
Gen88 likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I have 1-2 cups everyday and once in awhile I will have a mocha frappe. I've drank coffee with both my girls they are fine.
Gen88 likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 04:57 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
i try to eliminate almost entirely for the first trimester after that I do it once every couple of days
i also switched to decaf on stuff like tea and coffee
though it is nearly impossible to pass up Tim Hortons Ice Mocha Latte, that thing is heaven in a cup
Gen88 likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 05:02 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
And just some fun facts lol...Starbucks regular coffee has twice the amount of caffeine as home brewed - close to 300mg in the small if I remember correctly. Their medium lattes have less than the regular brewed coffee though. If I only drink 1 regular coffee at home then I don't feel bad about a small regular brewed coffee at sbux... Or if I have 2 coffees at home I will do a latte in the afternoon.
Gen88 likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 05:02 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have given up caffeine for the most part, but that's only because I'm a caffeine junkie and have a problem with moderation Even my doc said I'm being a little too cautious...one or 2 caffeinated drinks is fine. Just no energy drinks. I've slipped up a couple of times on days when I'm having a hard time functioning, or to get rid of a bad headache. No worries!
Gen88 likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 06:07 PM
First time mommy :)
I drink 1 cup of coffee every morning. If I don't I have caffeine withdrawal and a serious migraine. It's sad but, I need it! And every great once in a while I will have a half can of soda in the afternoon....that is rare though. I make the coffee pretty week too, just so I don't get jittery!
Gen88 likes this.
February 15th, 2013, 10:14 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
It's perfectly fine I believe it's 60mg of caffeine a day or something along those lines. 1 cup is fine Hun.
Gen88 likes this.

February 16th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At my last midwife appointment I mentioned how good the receptionist's coffee smelled, and my midwife said, "You're not depriving yourself of coffee, right?"

So yes, like the others said, it's perfectly fine to have 1-2 cups a day. Usually I drink decaf during the week, and then I have regular coffee with my parents on the weekend.

The reason a latte has less caffeine than a brewed coffee, is because lattes are made with espresso. It has 1 shot of espresso in the whole drink, whereas the brewed coffees are all coffee. That being said, it's probably best to get a skinny latte when you're at Starbucks - fat free milk and sugar free syrup. Starbucks drinks are sugar and fat bombs!
Gen88 likes this.

February 16th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have 1-2 cups a day and I justify it by saying "well, it's not like I'm smoking crack" LOL

Also, I've given up wine and cigarettes. That is as far as I'm willing to bend.
Gen88 likes this.

February 16th, 2013, 07:38 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
You're fine with that little caffeine intake. Usually I am a coffee addict and have 2 cups of strong coffee in the morning. I drank coffee all through my last pregnancy and while nursing. The only reason I'm not drinking it now is because I had an aversion to it and haven't really been able to drink my usual cup of coffee with creamer
February 16th, 2013, 08:51 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I drink two cups of coffee a day. my doctor said it was perfectly fine. At first I felt guilty, but my doctor has reassured me several times that it's fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search