Runners, how's it going?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2013, 04:07 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I remember there were quite a few of us. Are you still running? How is it going? Are you planning for races, before or after Baby?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 16th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Veteran
i had to stop running back in october. I couldn't breathe after running a minute, when I had been running 5k's 2-3 times a week. I can't wait to start again! I actually raced my 5 year old around the yard the other day and contracted the next couple hours, so I'm pretty sure my doc would not recommend it.

Speaking of running, lets discuss jogging strollers! I need one, but not a 300$ one. any recommendations?

February 16th, 2013, 08:09 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm back to running after taking 9 weeks off with the subchorionic hemorrhage. It's nice to be active again. I am slow for sure and have to take a few walk breaks, but I'm slowly building up to my regular mileage. I was doing 4 miles twice a week. I did 3.3 one day last week. No races planned, but I'd like to keep running as long as possible
February 16th, 2013, 10:29 PM
I'm happy that I'm still able to "run". I say that in quotes because I've also slowed way down and have to take more walk breaks... not to mention potty breaks! Since the weather has been so nasty and roads are snowy I'm sticking to the treadmill. My goal is 45 to 50 minutes 3-4 days a week. Usually I only manage 3.5 to maybe 4 miles in that time, but that includes walking to warm up and cool down. I'm hoping to be ready for my first half marathon by October. I was hoping to run a marathon this year but I don't think there is any way I can reasonably expect to be ready. My favorite local race is in early June and I may enter as a walker, but not if I'm feeling too ridiculous at that point. I would hate to miss it, though.. it's the first race I ever entered and I've done it every year since.

Jogging strollers- I would also love to hear some recommendations!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 17th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I have the InStep Safari jogger. It's got a locking front wheel for the jogging mode and then unlocked it can swivel for use as a regular stroller. I sold my old travel system to switch to this and I like it. You do need to keep the tires inflated or it jiggles a bit when using it as a regular stroller. I liked it for jogging both on a sidewalk and on a walking trail. I couldn't afford a Bob but I hear they are awesome
February 18th, 2013, 09:28 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
I'm still running daily. I usually do four miles. I have a treadmill, but on the days that the mil gets the kiddo, I prefer to get outside to run.
I haven't had any problems at all, as far as how I feel physically, but I do think that I'm going to have to buy a support belt soon and from what my doctor says, I need to eat more (I don't know how that's going to happen... I feel stuffed all the time) or workout/run less. She's already put me on a milkshake with whole milk a day diet because I'm not really gaining any weight. (gained 6 lbs since we found out about baby)
February 18th, 2013, 10:26 AM
NoahandLola's Mommy
I know you don't want an expensive stroller. But I had two cheaper strollers and they were not as good as my bob stroller!!!! I highly recommend it.

February 18th, 2013, 06:08 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been able to do any cardio. I broke my foot 3 weeks ago. I was hoping to be on the bike last week but the slightest pressure was painful. I am going to give the bike a try in the morning. I am benched on the running until post baby by my OB.

As far as races post baby: I will be running the Dallas half marathon in Dec. and the Miami half in Feb. both are prep/tune up races for the biggest race of my life: BOSTON MARATHON! I still can't believe I qualified. I would like to find a good 10k -20k in the fall.

I miss running. I miss my running group and I miss running with my husband. We are going to run Miami half together, which is exciting. We haven't done a race together since before we had B1.

Oh and as far as jogging strollers. I love my BOB ironman. It is a lot of jogging stroller, but we run a lot of miles. We used it on every long run (even the 20 miler) when my husband was training for the LA Marathon. It is fixed wheel only, which a lot of people don't like. If you want a swivel, the Bob revolution is great and you can find them on Craigslist for a decent price.
February 19th, 2013, 04:04 AM
That is awesome that you qualified for Boston!! I did my first half marathon last year and really enjoyed it. I'd like to do another one this year post baby. There is a local one in November that I will probably do
February 19th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Wow, Boston! Very well done.

February 19th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys. It was a 12 month process. 1st attempt was 70F and 90% humidity at the start and super hilly. Attempt 2 was 8 weeks later in a 37f monsoon rain. I missed by 39 sec. By that time, my DH was training for LA, o I took a step back during the spring and picked Chucago. That day dawned perfect. 36F and dry. I hit my gosl of 3:31 . Then found out I was pregnant a opulent days later. That was an emotionally High week.
jhmomofmany likes this.
February 19th, 2013, 09:15 PM
What did you think of Chicago? That's one that I sometimes think I would like to do someday and other times think no way would I want to enter a race that big.

February 19th, 2013, 11:41 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im going with the Schwinn double jogger I havent done any jogging since I was about 10 weeks and alot of that is cuz well...Im in Minnesota....and jogging in subzero temps does not appeal to me at all!

February 20th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
What did you think of Chicago? That's one that I sometimes think I would like to do someday and other times think no way would I want to enter a race that big.
Chicago was amazing! I prefer smaller races for several reasons and up until then the largest race I had run was Dallas White Rock (Total of 25,000 but only 3,000 running the full. The rest were relay runners and half marathoners) so I was concerned about running 26.2 with 45,000 people.

The crowd support was unlike anything I had ever seen. Almost every single mile was packed with spectators. The entire race was so organized and well run. You really didn't notice it was that many. Only a couple of times on the course did it get congested - mostly when I got caught up in the pace team traffic.

I don't know what your pace is like, but if you can qualify for a seeded corral, it makes it so much better. I believe the qualifing standards are under 2:05 for a half or under 4:15 on a full in the year prior. I was in Corral B, so only a couple a thousand a head of me in the start corrals.

I would def. do it again if I didn't have so many other races on my bucket list
jhmomofmany likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search