Glucose test coming up soon...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have my GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) next Tuesday. Blech!

Does anyone else have theirs scheduled yet? If so, when is it? Does your doctor give you a choice of flavors? Has anyone already done theirs?

My doctor lets her patients pick between at least two flavors (last time I think there were three, this time only two): orange and fruit punch.. I picked orange.. Not looking forward to doing this test, especially as I'm sick right now.

#1, 4, 5, 7
February 18th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I have mine scheduled for March 6th.

I choose fruit punch over orange this time. Only two choices. I don't really recall drinking the juice having that much impact on me last time but that was 12 years ago...things may be different.

Good luck next week and hope you feel better!
February 18th, 2013, 07:11 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I took one in 1st tri.. I will not take another one with my homebirth midwife

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

February 18th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Veteran
I got to bring mine home from my last appt as well, to drink before my next! This is not one of my favourite things during pregnancy as they have to take blood and I have a history of passing out/puking ! Plus I have the ceappiest veins ever !

February 18th, 2013, 07:42 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh yuck they suck so bad. It made my tummy hurt sooo bad when i did it while preg with DD. And they had orange...fruit punch...lemon lime and grape at my OB while was preg with her.

February 18th, 2013, 08:11 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
We talked about it at my last appt, but haven't scheduled it yet. I did not have one with either of my first two (different doctor, didn't feel it was necessary unless there were signs it was needed, etc) so I'm kind of anxious for it after some of the stories I've heard.
February 18th, 2013, 08:16 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
I'm scheduling mine at my appointment on Wednesday but I've already talked with my doctor about alternatives. They have quite a few... a certain breakfast, a jelly bean test. I did the orange crap with my daughter and I couldn't keep it down, it was just too sweet.
February 18th, 2013, 08:20 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine is March 7 and since I am more hypo hypoglycemic, it always makes me feel ugh. My OB told me most people fail because they eat a sugary, carb heavy breakfast. She suggested protein and maybe a piece of fruit.
February 18th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor told me not to eat anything at all. Fortunately my appt is at 8:15am so I can just go get breakfast after..

#1, 4, 5, 7
February 18th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
my dr. has not mentioned it...maybe he will forget I remember is was disgusting last time!

February 18th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran
I think mine is on march 6th. When I scheduled it after my last appointment they only had the clear stuff...but I heard they sometimes have the orange? I took the clear one home with me since that's all the had, and I'm really not looking forward to having to drink all of the bottle. It looks like somewhat like bar syrup... bleh.

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine is scheduled for mar 13. I've never had a problem with them but then again I chug it so fast I don't really taste it too much.

February 18th, 2013, 11:47 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I talked to my midwife at my last appt about how it went when I was pregnant with DD, but she didn't mention when I would have to do it this time. My next appt is March 8 and she said the next one would be 3 weeks after that. My guess is I will have to do it at that one. Def not looking forward to it. I failed the one hr with DD and then had to do it all over again for the three hour. What a nightmare... Praying I pass the first time this time.

February 18th, 2013, 03:31 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to chug the syrup before my next appt on March 7. I have to get the liquid from the lab across the hall from my OB, drink it, go over for my monthly OB appointment, then go back to the lab to get blood drawn. I don't understand why the office doesn't do it.

February 18th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had to do one last week....on valentines day. I haven't heard yet but I'm sure I'll fail. I had nothing but sugar and carbs that day. Booo.

I had the fruit punch and it was cold so it wasn't that bad. I felt pretty bad afterwards though. I was starving but I didn't really want anything. I really wanted to sleep. My body just wanted to crash.
February 19th, 2013, 03:08 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I've never had an issue with the drinks before. Maybe I'm just weird. My midwife hasn't mentioned them yet but it will probably be at my appointment next month. They also don't do the bloodwork at my office. I think they give me the drink and then send me to the lab downstairs.
February 19th, 2013, 04:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The nurse had me have the test at 9 weeks due to age (doc was then confused at this). It was normal. However, since it was early I need to redo shortly. I chose lemon lime over ice.

February 19th, 2013, 05:18 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
With my first office and midwife, they do the test in office. I think it was orange flavored that I chose (they had 2-3 other flavors). To me, it was just a really sugary drink, it wasn't as bad as I had heard it to be - so maybe I was just expecting the very worst and it didn't end up being as bad as I thought.

Now though, I'm with a new OB so I have no idea what their protocol is. She said we will schedule it on my next appointment at the end of March. I'm really disliking my new office and disappointed, so I don't know how I feel about it this time around.

February 19th, 2013, 07:48 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My midwife gave me the drink at my appointment yesterday and we'll do the test the morning of march 21st. She said to eat a high-protein breakfast at 8, chug the drink at 10:15 (I chose fruit punch this time because the orange one made me sick with DD, not that I expect this one to be delicious or anything) and my appointment is at 11.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

February 19th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I didn't have a choice with DD, it was the orange. I wasn't supposed to eat so I was starving and thirsty and at first it tasted sooo good and about halfway through I thought I was going to puke. I have to do mine next week

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search