Cloth Diapering Question: Complete Idiot at the Washing Machine

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just got my Thristies & prefold package. I have my 24 premium prefolds and my 36 infant prefolds. I am currently prepping my premium prefolds.

I'm prepping them by doing one full wash cycle with warm/cold combo and then a wash cycle with hot/cold combo and then tumble dry low. I'm going to do another round for a total of 2 warm/cold washes, 2 hot/cold washes (4 washes in all) and 2 cycles of drying.

Everything I read talks about a prewash, wash, and rinse (multiple ones) for when the diapers are actually dirty. My wash doesn't do this. I turn the water on and it does its thing. Cloth diapering websites say to add detergent during the wash cycle and not the prewash cycle. I have no idea how to differentiate this except by when the tub empties...and I'm not about to sit around my basement forever waiting for the tub to empty and add detergent.

I'm post pics of my washing machine buttons and my dryer's buttons. This is going to sound stupid but can somebody tell me how to use my machines in order to properly clean my cloth diapers?

Oh, I should mention that the buttons on the dryer that say permapress ect. I don't think actually work. Somewhere along the way we pressed "delicate" and then have never changed it. I have no idea how long that's been pressed.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6MM...it?usp=sharing

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 20th, 2013, 11:12 AM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
Lurking.. You have the same machine I do & to do the initial rinse I turn the knob to rinse option and change te water setting to cold and let it run to a spin and then to do a wash cycle( change the water setting back to the hot)I usually do the heavy duty wash and let it run thru and then use the rinse option again for the second rinse ( changing it back to cold)

I hope that makes sense
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

February 20th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Which rinse cycle do I use? The one under Heavy Duty, Normal, or Permanent Press? For the cold rinse you turn the knob to cold/cold? And the wash cycle to hot/cold? And last question for 24 premium prefolds should I keep it on medium load or heavy?

Thank you for your help! My husband has been giving me funny looks all day "What do you mean you don't now how to use the washing machine?!"

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 20th, 2013, 11:44 AM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
I use all the settings under heavy duty, if I'm washing some more of my delicate diapers ( usually the handmade wahm diapers) ill use the normal settings. For 24 Prefolds I'd use the heavy setting, medium I'd be afarid there isn't enough water in use to get a good clean. I use cold/cold for rinse and hot/warm I believe it is.
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

February 20th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Think that should cover it! But on a top loader like that, I might try *always* doing heavy duty because I think the "fast/slow" notes indicate the agitation. For dirty diapers, you want plenty of agitation! I would also possibly do a "quick wash" (the 6 minute one) instead of just a rinse for the prewash. But it's not a precision science and you can just experiment and see what you like best don't be afraid, it's just laundry!!
navywifey2003 likes this.

February 20th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay! Thank you ladies! That helps solve the washing part but now what to do about the drying bit?

Right now I've been setting the dial to the lowest part of the light orange section (needle goes up). I've pressed the "normal" button but I have no idea if that does anything.

February 20th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Figure out a timed cycle that works. Usually the sensors think they are dry when they are not fully dry, diapers are so much more absorbent than normal laundry. I do mine for 60 minutes on medium. I did not look at your dryer dials so I hope that works! Again people run the gamut from always line drying to drying on hot on a long cycle, there is lots of wiggle room just like with normal laundry

February 21st, 2013, 07:38 AM
lalap's Avatar Super Mommy
I had trouble figuring this stuff out too. I had never even noticed that my washer had a rinse only cycle until I reading about cloth diapering and went to check. Sure enough, there it was! Haha!
February 21st, 2013, 10:48 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I like Shen do a light 6 minute wash instead of a rinse on cold, then a normal wash on hot with detergent then another light wash with no detergent. Most washers only rinse cold and I like my last rinse to be hot. You will find what works for you because everyone has a preference.

February 21st, 2013, 12:32 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
I like Shen do a light 6 minute wash instead of a rinse on cold, then a normal wash on hot with detergent then another light wash with no detergent. Most washers only rinse cold and I like my last rinse to be hot. You will find what works for you because everyone has a preference.
This is pretty much what I do. It took a little tweaking, but eventually I got it exactly how I wanted. I also dry for 60 minutes, but hang the covers and pocket shells to air dry
February 21st, 2013, 07:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I was planning on air drying the shells. From what I read the dryer can hasten the killing of your velcro fasteners (I opted for velcro instead of snaps because of ease of use).

I got all my prefolds washed and they're so soft Once I get the shells done I will most likely begin introducing Alex to them this weekend. I hope to have most of the kinks worked out of our system before the new baby arrives.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search