Wait time

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MissyBee
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 2 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By edgeofelise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2013, 09:40 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
How long do you usually wait to see your doctor/midwife?
How long do your appointments last?
Do you feel your provider spends enough time with you?

February 22nd, 2013, 01:18 AM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say we usually wait 20-30 minutes in the waiting room (but we usually are there early, so probably more like 10-15 from when the appointment should start) and then a good 15-20 more minutes (if not more) in the exam room. I could be wrong on this. Maybe I'll start timing it to see. But I do feel like we always have to wait forever. And then most of the time I feel like I spend less than 10 minutes with the doctor. Some days I feel like it's been such a waste of time. (And money!)
4hearts likes this.
February 22nd, 2013, 04:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Depends. When I see the new doc I am in within 5 minutes of appointment time. She then spends plenty of time with me. When I see the docs who have been with the practice longer they can be 30-45 minutes late on average and seem to be in a hurry. I like the experience docs though as I feel they are more conservative in the care they provide.

February 22nd, 2013, 04:32 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually wait 5-10 minutes in the waiting room and then another 5-10 minutes in the room. Depending on what we are talking about, my dr spends a good deal of time in the room with me. With this being my 3rd, I don't always have a lot of questions or concerns to talk about.

February 22nd, 2013, 04:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wait for about 10 minutes in the waiting room and about 5 in the exam room after the nurse leaves. The docs don't rush me...I wouldn't let them LOL

February 22nd, 2013, 07:26 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I usually wait 10 or 15 minutes in the waiting room, and then 10 minutes or less in the exam room. I definately don't think the doctor spends enough time with me. I don't know exactly why... but I just don't . My doctor is working with a PA in training right now, and he lets her use the doppler to find the heart beat, which takes forever. When she finally finds something, presumably the heartbeat i hope... they listen for like 2 seconds and say sounds good and that is the end of my appt. The time with the doctor is honestly 10 mins or less. This is my 3rd baby, so I do already know most of what to expect, etc. But I feel like most of my info is coming from the internet, like what is safe to eat (or not), what type of exercise I should be doing, is my blood pressure ok, etc... I feel like he should be telling me this stuff. Also, if I have a concern that we address at one visit, he doesn't ever follow up on it, like ask if it is better, etc. It's like he forgot or something. When I had my quad screen blood work done I forgot to ask him the results, so of course he did not tell me, and I had to play phone tag for days to get the results once I realized I had forgot to ask. Sorry about the rant but I just had an appt yesterday and felt kind of depressed afterwards, even though everything was okay and I know I should just be happy with that.

February 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Cheerful: that's how I felt at my last ob/gyn. It drove me crazy so I switched for this pregnancy. It's not too late to switch if you're considering it

Depends. Usually within 10-15 minutes total. But this last time i waited over an hour. I was VERY pissed. I had a 7:45 o'clock appointment and they called me to see if I could come right away (that was at about 7) I said "sure" thinking that my midwife had to go deliver a baby or something. I get there at around 7:20. I didn't see my doctor until like 8:20/8:30ish, maybe later. I didn't get back to my car until 8:40. I asked the front desk why on Earth was I called in early and they said they just wanted to get everyone in the office earlier so that they could close on time (rather, early. The office didn't close until 9 and I was the last patient). I told them next time I won't come in early if they call. I was STARVING.
Typically about a half hour. This last time was very rushed which added to my annoyance.
Normally, yes. We talk about everything pregnancy/baby related and she goes through everything with me. A HUGE improvement over my last ob/gyn
cheerfulsunrise likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 22nd, 2013, 09:07 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I don't wait at all my appointments are at my home. My midwife and her student are usually at my house within 5 minutes of our scheduled time.

We talk for about 20/30 minutes then do the normal check up stuff. Such a different experience.
edgeofelise and 4hearts like this.

February 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
My wait time has never been horrible, as long as I make sure not to schedule on a day that she is on call for the ER. I get there about 10-15 mins early, and I'm almost always back in the room before my scheduled time. I wait another (maybe) 5 mins once the nurse is done with vitals, and then spend anywhere from 10-20 mins with my doc depending on what is going on. I don't mind the in-and-out type appointments most of the time, because that usually means everything is okay. If it takes longer, it takes longer. I've never felt rushed by my doc.
February 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How long do you usually wait to see your doctor/midwife? 15 minutes give or take
How long do your appointments last? depends on how many questions I have and what is going on anywhere from 10-30 minutes.
Do you feel your provider spends enough time with you? Yes. I never feel rushed.

February 22nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is why I love my midwives. We usually wait about 5-10 minutes, but sometimes more if the people before us run over which I'm totally okay with. It's rare because they allow an hour per visit and there isn't normally that much to discuss. We sit and chat for a good long time so I get nice and relaxed, and then they check my blood pressure and all that stuff. I don't really have any questions or concerns at this point so most visits are pretty short, but sometimes we just get to chatting and it lasts about 45 minutes. I love that they spend as much time as I need with me; I've never felt rushed.
navywifey2003 likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

February 22nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
My first appt was 3 hours with lots of waiting. But there was an issue with the scheduling. Typically I'm in and out in an hour. Hardly any wait time in lobby. I think I spend enough time with dr. Enough time for her to get heart beat and give me heads up on what to expect till next appt and answer any questions.
February 22nd, 2013, 05:54 PM
Veteran
The only time I had to wait longer than 5 minutes was when I didn't have a scheduled appointment. My practice has about 9 drs. They rotate being on call, so I try to see a new doc each time I go.

February 22nd, 2013, 07:22 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually have a sono first ad an appt scheduled immediately after. The office is usually running within 10 min of apt time, but I have learned to scheule 1st of the day or 1st after lunch.

She will spend as much time as I need, but I don't usually have a lot of questions.
February 23rd, 2013, 05:38 AM
Rochelle
How long do you usually wait to see your doctor/midwife? 5 mins at most
How long do your appointments last? 25 mins
Do you feel your provider spends enough time with you? emm... kinda sorta but not really
February 23rd, 2013, 06:15 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm usually sent back to the lab area for blood pressure, weight, and urine check right around the time my appointment is scheduled for. Then I normally wait in the room for less than 5 minutes before the doctor comes in. My appointments are usually quick, but that is because I normally don't have any questions. If I do have questions, I never feel rushed, and the doctors are always good about taking time to make sure I am okay with whatever was discussed.

February 23rd, 2013, 07:35 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
It depends on the day. My doctor is also the head of Maternal fetal medicine so he is called out to the labor unit a lot. When I get in, he is really good and spends at least 30 minutes with me. My last appointment, he spent an hour and a half just doing the ultrasound. It would have been shorter but I really wanted a 3d pic so he spent more time trying to get a good picture for me.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
February 24th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
How long do you usually wait to see your doctor/midwife? I've waited anywhere from 15 minutes up to 45 minutes to get taken back.
How long do your appointments last? Most have lasted about 30 minutes.
Do you feel your provider spends enough time with you? For the most part yes, I just wish the wait time wasn't so long.

February 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wait about 5 minutes
Appts last about 20-30minutes
For me, they last long enough...my OB gives me plenty of Q&A time after we discuss what going on currently and what's planned/expected for next appt and its never rushed. Sometimes I laugh cause I'm like "OK, I don't have any more questions" and he just smiles =)

February 24th, 2013, 12:59 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I've recently switched care from a doctor to a midwife, so I will answer for both.

Doctor: 45 to 90 minutes
Midwife: no wait

Doctor: 10-15 minutes, maybe 5 of which is with the actual doctor
Midwife: about an hour

Doctor: no, she's always in a hurry
Midwife: yes, I've never felt rushed with any of my midwives

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search