So Embarrassed!!!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crawmommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2013, 01:19 PM
Regular
My aunt wanted to host a family baby shower, so I said sure and was happy to have her offer to do it.

Well, first off, people are just getting the invitations today! The shower is a week from Sunday.

THEN...I see the invitations today (after everyone has already gotten them) they are a monkey theme since that is the what I am doing in the nursery. But she actually wrote in the invitations,

"This is what happens when you 'Monkey Around' They are having a baby boy!"

We are not married and no it wasn't a planned pregnancy, but we are very excited and happy to be having our little boy. How could she write something like that?!?

If you were me would you be angry and embarrassed or am I being over emotional?
February 22nd, 2013, 01:25 PM
First time mommy :)
Ummm yeah I'd be kind of mad. And it would be realllllly hard to keep my mouth shut! My MIL is that way too. She says things that she thinks are cute and funny, but doesn't realize that they can make someone angry or hurt their feelings. It's so hard to deal with her sometimes!! But I would also be embarrassed and quite offended by that :-(
February 22nd, 2013, 01:29 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I can see why you feel that way, but I would brush it off and laugh about it. Hugs Hun, I think it's kinda funny. I hope you enjoy your shower.

February 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd be pretty mad. That's just rude. Unless your family is one that jokes that way, but I'm guessing from your reaction, they're not..

#1, 4, 5, 7
February 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPennyRoyalTea View Post
I'd be pretty mad. That's just rude. Unless your family is one that jokes that way, but I'm guessing from your reaction, they're not..

We are not a family that really jokes around like that. Some people are, but not all. I think it might have been a little different if it was only her side of the family, but it is a shower for my dad's side, my mom's side and also my fiances family. She doesn't even know half the people that she sent them to. If it had been in a card that she sent to just me or if she stuck it into some of the invitations that just went to people she knows, I wouldn't have liked it, but I would have been ok with it.

Oh well, I guess all I can do is laugh now. And apologize to my fiances mother and grandmother.
February 22nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
yikes... yea that is a little awkward. But the damage is already done so I think if you just laugh about it and explain to df family that your aunt is kind of cooky they will understand. If you make a big deal out of it so will others.
navywifey2003 likes this.

February 22nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawmommy View Post
yikes... yea that is a little awkward. But the damage is already done so I think if you just laugh about it and explain to df family that your aunt is kind of cooky they will understand. If you make a big deal out of it so will others.
I agree. Now that I've cooled off a little bit. I think I can just brush it off and try to laugh about it. What's done is done!
February 22nd, 2013, 03:08 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I can see how awkward that is. And I'd might be upset about it too. Honestly tho, I didn't it as an un married term anyways. I think it's cute actually. I wouldn't mind using it but my family-especially my mother-wouldnt appreciate the joke. So I completely understand your frustration!
February 22nd, 2013, 03:08 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, that would make me mad, too.

February 22nd, 2013, 05:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually giggled out loud until i read that it made you mad. I think that is just the way my family is however.

I was really nervous telling my family I am pregnant, and a little bit ashamed because we werent in a space financially to have another baby (we are fine now).

I told my grandmother "It wasn't really a planned baby."

She laughed and said "The best ones never are!"

Let it go. I don't think anyone else is dissecting it as much as you are.

February 22nd, 2013, 06:11 PM
Veteran
I honestly thought the writing was really cute. However, I have very a very outspoken, joking, laid back family who would laugh at that and my boyfriend's side is also like that so really I just saw that as endearing, like oh they monkey around and here we are *wink wink* hehe but I am sorry if you did feel offended by it. I really doubt she meant harm and I bet she was really was happy with herself for the invitations and putting things together, so I can imagine it may be hard to talk to her about it. *hugs*
February 22nd, 2013, 09:45 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This whole thing made me laugh a little bit and I'm thinking my story will make you feel a little bit better.

my cousin and his girlfriend got pregnant after dating for only 3 weeks. Yup three weeks. Her bestfriend made up baby invites and it said

first comes love - crossed out
then comes marriage - crossed out
oh screw it
then comes the baby carriage -

It was probably one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my entire life. They've now been together for over 8 years and are on their third - happily married but she always tells everyone that it wasn't until her son was born that she fell in love with his Dad. LOL

February 22nd, 2013, 10:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I wouldn't have batted an eye. When we announced that we were pregnant with Alex I got the same joke from all members of my family "I know what YOU were DOOOOING!"

And this one was unplanned so we got a lot of off color jokes.

I think in this case the intention wasn't to highlight that this was an unplanned pregnancy and out of wedlock but as a reference to the fact that you had sex, period.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search