How off limits is a name?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By phantomsgrl11
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have found a name that we both sort of like (we aren't sold yet but it's a start). The problem is, I have a cousin with a daughter who has this same name. The middle name would be different though. I think that makes it off limits. DF disagrees. My cousin lives 400 miles away and we only see her every couple of years so he thinks that makes it ok.

What is your opinion?

February 23rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you're not super close, I'd say it's definitely ok. If it was like, your sister's kid or something, I'd say that's too close to share a name. But a cousin you hardly see? Go for it!

February 23rd, 2013, 10:05 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne Nicole View Post
If you're not super close, I'd say it's definitely ok. If it was like, your sister's kid or something, I'd say that's too close to share a name. But a cousin you hardly see? Go for it!
Agreed.

February 23rd, 2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne Nicole View Post
That's what DF says. We saw her at thanksgiving for the first time in almost 6 years. Her 6 year old was an infant the last time I saw her but for some reason, I feel like it would be weird to have two babies in the same family with that name...maybe it's just me being too picky

February 23rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
In this situation, meh I'd say you're fine.
February 23rd, 2013, 11:03 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjh12 View Post
In this situation, meh I'd say you're fine.
agreed!!

February 23rd, 2013, 11:04 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It seems like you barely see her so it would be okay. Maybe keep looking but if you keep coming back to that name it was meant to be.

February 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Super Mommy
i'd say it'd be okay to use the same name too. i understand your dilemma though!
February 23rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Eh, go for it.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

February 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
i wouldn't use the name, but thats just me
my cousin that i see at least every couple of months her sons gf is having a baby and naming it the same as my son, not happy about that at all
though i see them a couple times a year if not more

February 23rd, 2013, 12:20 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My friend knew what we were going to name my son if we were having a boy and proceeded to name his CAT that. LOL JD thinks the cat is his and that the cats name isn't James Dean (J.D.) but it's JD's cat as his name. So it works out

I think it all depends on how unique the name is - just cause you name your kid or your dog or whatever something doesn't mean the name is scratched out of baby books forever so it's a silly thing to get upset about in my opinion. It just shows they have good taste too!
jersey_gray likes this.

February 23rd, 2013, 12:36 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I gotta know the name to make a decision
Karen78 likes this.

February 23rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont think its off limits at all. When my friend was pregnant with her youngest she considered giving the baby up for adoption to DH and I and she asked what name I would chose for a girl and boy. So I told her both my fave names and she went and named her youngest my fave boy name...and also kept him. I dont see her anymore but we are using the same name as i like sooo few boy names. And was one of the factors on why i had such a meltdown upon finding it was a boy. But it was the main name Ive loved for a boy for years so DH felt it was not off limits and he knew that us choosing the name is what really helped me be happy about having a boy. So go for it!

February 23rd, 2013, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our son is Aleksander and our nephew is Alexander. DH has 6 siblings. As they are older a lot of names have gotten used. This child is Ellianna even if someone has a child and grabs the name prior to her arrival.

February 23rd, 2013, 02:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do not think it is a big deal at all since she lives 400 miles away. When I was pregnant with dd we could not agree on a girls name for the life of us, I was 8 or 9 months along before we agreed. The name we agreed on Kiley is dh's cousins kids name who lives across the country so we said screw it and used the name anyways. Thank god we did or dd would have been nameless seriously. I mean I don't know how big your family is but dh has 23 living 1st cousins so if we picked a name that no one else had pickins would be slim!
If you both love the name go for it. It's not like they will have the same 1st, middle & last name. however if you are on fence use the same name as an excuse to go with something else

February 23rd, 2013, 05:26 PM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
My first cousin is Alexander. They don't live far away but we hardly see them so I don't mind that baby's name is the same just spelled differently

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
February 23rd, 2013, 06:38 PM
I'm thinking the name will go on our "maybe" list. It's a little too popular for me and I don't feel that it fits perfectly with our other kids name but I still like it and I'm not willing to toss the only name we have agreed on so far just because a distant relative has the same name.

Thanks for the input ladies!

February 23rd, 2013, 07:20 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I personally wouldn't do it, but I'm super picky. My middle name is Ryan and I have a younger cousin named Ryan. We used to see each other every summer.
February 23rd, 2013, 07:31 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
In our family, there are like 4 cousins named Anthony, 2 Zachary and my brother and nephew are both Michael. They see each other all the time. I have too many cousins to even know what they have named all their kids. I really like a name of one of my cousins and I rarely see her so we may use it.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
February 23rd, 2013, 07:41 PM
NoahandLola's Mommy
I think it is ok if you like the name. But I think just knowing that he had the same name would make me not want to use it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search