I hate car seat shopping!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PurpleStar
  • 1 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By edgeofelise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2013, 08:19 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SO. MANY. OPTIONS. With DD we borrowed a carseat from a friend and she's offered it again, but knowing what I know now I don't want a used seat, especially one that's already been through 3 kids. Who knows what could've happened in those few years (she's assured me it's never been in an accident but I'm paranoid.)

I'd love to find a convertible that we can use right away, but I've read that even though the weight limit can be as low as 5lbs, newborns often are too short for the straps or just don't fit comfortably.

What seats are you guys getting? I think we've settled on the Graco Snugride 35. If we have to get an infant seat I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get one that we'll use for a while and it seems pretty easy to use. And I *think* it'll work with our stroller (it's an older model so I'm not sure if the new seats work with it) so that's a bonus.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

February 23rd, 2013, 10:22 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a Graco Snugride with my daughter and I really liked it. We have a Babytrend carseat that was Gabe's that we are going to be re-using because it hasn't expired and hasn't been in an accident.

February 24th, 2013, 04:52 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
We also started with the graco snugride, it would have lasted longer than we used it but he got SO heavy carrying him around lol! So we switched a little before a year to a Graco MyRide 65 and it's been awesome, he's still RF'ing in it, and just about to reach the limit to turn him forward, eek!!

February 24th, 2013, 06:11 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are reusing our Graco SnugRide from Kiefer because it hasn't expired, has never been in an accident, and its in great condition. Plus, the sit n stand stroller I got fits it perfect so one less thing to buy.

February 24th, 2013, 06:58 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DD i had the Graco Snugride 35 and it was really great. This time we are gonna buy a Graco Click Connect 40 as it has height adjustments to help keep them rear facing longer. And DD is so tall she outgrew rearfacing and any rearfacing carseat loooonnng before she was two. I know little man will be tall as well (DD is been in a 3T pant since 18 months for height and at 2 and 3 months those are getting short ugh)
But all in all Im totally a Graco girl for alot of reasons when it comes to carseats.

February 24th, 2013, 08:29 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We plan on getting a Graco SnugRide also. I have read very good reviews about both safety and ease of use. Plus, I found a Graco travel system through Walmart that I absolutely love, and it's cheap.

Here's what we're getting: Purchase the Graco Spree Travel System Ariel at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Also, other things needed to consider regarding a used car seat: were the straps ever washed? I guess that ruins the integrity of the material, and is something I never knew about until I read an article that someone linked to here.

February 24th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan to use our Chicco Keyfit 30 until one of my kids hits the RFing limits on their carseats (most likely DS will hit 35 lbs). Then we'll get him a Radian (RFs to 45 lbs) and switch the baby to the Britax. Since I wear my kids, I have no need for an infant carrier to use as anything other than a carseat anyway.
February 24th, 2013, 10:47 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We have a snug ride as well, which we will use for a few months and switch to a marathon 70. Everett is 18 months and still RF. David and Katelynn are using frontier 85s in which they are still harnessed. They will stay that way until the limits of the seat.

February 24th, 2013, 11:41 AM
PurpleStar's Avatar March 2015 DDC Co-Host
So true, girl...so many options it makes a person's head spin. We made it easy and are just reusing Vaughn's carseat...its a Graco as well, can't remember for the life of me what model but it came with the travel system we bought for him. It worked great for us =)

PS: Love your new pic of Eliza in your sig!! When did our babies become lil people, eh?!
edgeofelise likes this.

February 24th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We went the convertible route, and are getting the Graco My Ride 70. We viewed it from the economical and practical stand point, and after talking to some people, they nudged us in that direction. That way we won't have to buy another seat in a year, esp. since we're already on a budget.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
February 24th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Popping in from the July DDC. I've been very happy with the Graco car seats. You are right about there being so many options. To many options!
February 25th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I bought 2 Graco click connect 40's. Very economical it is an infant carseat that is a convertible too. I bought it over a regular convertible for a lot of reasons but mainly bc the seat removes from the base (unlike a convertible) so we can move it from car to car and it rear faces up to 2 years, 4-40lbs and the height limit is high too I believe. It has really great features and I got it when it was $35 off.
MamaSkunk likes this.

February 25th, 2013, 06:19 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to reuse the one I had with Drake (Graco SnugRide 35) but my cats peed on it!!! So now I have to buy a new one and I think I going to get the same thing. We liked it and I have the Snap and Go for it so its perfect
February 25th, 2013, 08:08 AM
I finally figured it out! We're definitely getting the snugride 35 for Henry. When he outgrows that we'll get a Graco Nautilus convertible booster for DD and Henry can use the Evenflo convertible car seat she's in now. That combo should last us quite a while since the Evenflo goes up to 65lbs, but when he finally outgrows that we'll put him in the Nautilus and just get a booster for DD. Kinda nice having kids a little more spaced out so they can play musical carseats.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10

February 25th, 2013, 10:46 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Keep in mind car seats expire when sharing I believe most are 6 years from their manufacture date. Not sure how long you plan on using them. But that sounds like a great plan.

February 25th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I know the evenflo is from 2010 so we may not get too much use out of that with Henry. In that case we'll probably get a second nautilus, or get DD a booster sooner if she's big enough. But that's years down the road, so we have plenty of time to figure it out!
navywifey2003 likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10

February 26th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
We bought an Eddie Bauer travel system with Madison in 08 and used the infant carrier with Hailey too. We will use it again with Zack since it still has a year left on it. We bought a car seat from Costco for Madison that isn't the greatest for seat belt use but she is still using the 5 point harness and will for awhile still. With Hailey since she has to be rear facing for a bit still, we bought a Graco My size 70. I plan to get another Gracy my size 70 for Zack next summer. Then everyone will be set till they move on to Boosters.

February 26th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I got the graco snugride from my friend (dd's is long gone). it's not expired, in good condition, and she doesn't own a vehicle so it really has only been used a handful of times and the snap and go stroller that goes with it. I have DDs graco travel system stroller and I think I may be able to snap it on that as well but I hate that thing. We have DD's Evenflo convertible carseat to use after that. DD has been in a booster now for about 3 months and we actually own two of them so I won't have to buy anything else

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search