My CD stash for Newborn-6 months

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By MerinSun

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Rochelle
Ordered and received $100 worth of newborn CD supplies last week (From Greenmountaindiapers)and decided to take full inventory and post my stash It may be helpful for new CD'ers to see what someone who's been there a few times has around.

Stuff I already have used with previous babies:

*I need more Medium PF's and the preemies are folded in thirds and used as doublers once outgrown as diapers which happens fairly quickly (by 1 month old).

New stuff (and a few old too)

*I need to make more wipes at least 2 dozen more. Never made them before but I know it's easy. I also need more small PF's for sure!
*NOT SHOWN- 3 SNAPPI's, a bunch of dull/worn out diaper pins, 2 wool soaker covers, 1 preemie IMSE-VIMSE organic cover and another doubler.
*The nitetime soaker-doublers are one side cotton and the other a wicking poly-fleece. These are nice to have.

Here is a close up of the NB Cot'n wrap under one of my preemie PF's. I've never tried this brand of cover but I'm excited to.

**I still have more Snappi's and covers on my registry in case some family or friends wants to get us anything. But other than that we are pretty well set IMO.

ETA: Oh yea, I should also mention that my babies run a bit small and don't really get into the bigger sizes until around 6 months so that why I don't have a lot of medium sizes yet. My largest baby was 8lbs8ozs. My DD2 is 2.5 and just now has gotten to be about 23 lbs or so. We're going to be putting in another order for medium sizes probably around Christmas time. My point is you may want to get more in medium for YOUR up to 6 months stash just in case or even more preemie items if you think you may have a smaller baby for some reason.

Last edited by 4hearts; February 24th, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
February 24th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Cool, yay!! I should post pics of my stash. I am also a prefolds, snappis and covers person esp for the early days of tons of changes and EBF poosplosions. I have:
30 GMD newborn prefolds
6 small ikea flats
36 GMD small prefolds
24 GMD medium prefolds (currently trifolding in covers for M)
And 12 GMD large workhorse fitteds and 9 Tinkle Traps premium prefitteds. I still can't believe M outgrew these, and so quickly... they were only worn a few months and are in great condition! She got into very high rise large-running large sizes before she plateaued from crawling and walking.

I have tons of covers too. My new purchases are a Covered Caboose fleece wrap, a Rumparooz newborn cover (adjusts to fit size small too), and Blueberry mini coverall. I destashed a few girly covers so these are my boyish replacements I have a bunch of Thirsties Duos size 1s and a few sized covers from various brands in nb and sm and med. Again all in great shape because M grew sooooo fast!!
4hearts likes this.

February 24th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Rochelle
Shen7- Yea DH and I have been saying in between babies how we'd love to order AIOs or something more convenient but when ordering time comes, we quickly change our minds bc they're something like $20-$30 PER diaper. Maybe my grandkids will end up in AIO's if I start a savings account for it now, haha.

I've never tried tri-folding the PF's. I'm surprised they don't leak a little on the sides. Maybe it depends on the fit of the cover too. Have you ever tried wool covers? They're pretty cool until poo gets on them and then they're a pain to wash and take forever to air dry.

Oh, and I'd love to see your stash!
February 24th, 2013, 12:51 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Wow, that's an impressive stash. I don't think I've ever had that many diapers all at once!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 24th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hearts View Post
Shen7- Yea DH and I have been saying in between babies how we'd love to order AIOs or something more convenient but when ordering time comes, we quickly change our minds bc they're something like $20-$30 PER diaper. Maybe my grandkids will end up in AIO's if I start a savings account for it now, haha.

I've never tried tri-folding the PF's. I'm surprised they don't leak a little on the sides. Maybe it depends on the fit of the cover too. Have you ever tried wool covers? They're pretty cool until poo gets on them and then they're a pain to wash and take forever to air dry.

Oh, and I'd love to see your stash!
Yeah, for trifolding you have to use a tight fitting cover that isn't too roomy or balloony in the bum but it works great for covers that are just a bit too small to work over a fastened diaper! I never got into trifolding until I tried a Flip cover and it worked amazingly well, I love Flip covers for trifolding now. Thirsties Duos work well too, just on a size smaller setting that you would do over a snappied, folded prefold. It is a fast change on a squirmy toddler. If the fit is nice and tight against the crotch and bottom, it doesn't slide or bunch around much and holds in the pee really well. It does not contain poop though, poop will almost always get on the cover, so it is really better for toddlers on solids who don't poop as much, IMO.

I love wool but I have been soooooo lazy about washing my DD's wool that I decided to forgo it for the new baby... at least while I get used to 2 in diapers! I have a couple of small wool wraps and soakers that we will probably use sometimes but I really want to stick with poly fleece for soft breathable covers at nighttime and stuff. It is not as luxurious and high quality as wool but it does the job and you can just toss it in the normal wash... that is what I think I will need I hope my DD will PL soon, she has been using the potty really well for a long time (we do part time Elimination Communication) but still uses diapers a lot too and I don't know when she will be ready to be diaper free.

I will definitely post pics when I get around to my final washing and sorting and putting up so excited to use my tiny little diapers again!!
4hearts likes this.

February 24th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran
Hahaha I read the topic and thought to myself what a nut collecting music for a newborn!!
Great to see you are definitely prepared!! With diapers and not compact discs bahaha

February 24th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmfourmama View Post
Hahaha I read the topic and thought to myself what a nut collecting music for a newborn!!
Great to see you are definitely prepared!! With diapers and not compact discs bahaha
Haha.. never even thought of that!
February 24th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
Wow, that's an impressive stash. I don't think I've ever had that many diapers all at once!
LOL, funny you say that bc I always feel like I don't have enough supply on hand for any one size. This is the first time I feel somewhat close to having enough though. Ideally, I'd like to have 3 dozen diapers per size.
February 24th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Holy wow! I feel very unprepared! I thought that 4 dozen prefolds size infant imagine brand and 16 nb covers would be plenty for twins If I wash every other day( I do have a few nb aio's as well) until they are big enough for pockets. I only bought 1 dozen so far in the infant size and was planning to get more same size but now I am thinking I may need a smaller size....hmmm what are your thoughts?

February 24th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawmommy View Post
Holy wow! I feel very unprepared! I thought that 4 dozen prefolds size infant imagine brand and 16 nb covers would be plenty for twins If I wash every other day( I do have a few nb aio's as well) until they are big enough for pockets. I only bought 1 dozen so far in the infant size and was planning to get more same size but now I am thinking I may need a smaller size....hmmm what are your thoughts?
Yea, get plenty of preemie PFs bc yours will prob be in them for a little while. Also the good part about them is you can trifold them as doublers later on so you don't have to feel like your wasting money. I'd get 4 dozen if you're seriously going to CD from the first week on. Also you're going to want a few preemie size covers for sure.
Green Mountain Diapers: Litewrap Diaper Wraps
(Litewraps are kinda affordable at $8 a piece.. scroll down to the twins in the preemie size)
Green Mountain Diapers: Bummis The Pull-On diaper cover
(These Bummies pull-ons may work alright. and are $6.50 a piece)

Green Mountain Diapers: Preemie Cloth Diapers
(Here is a whole page that talks all about preemies CD and there is a package deal for $133 that includes 5 covers, 4 dozen preemie PFs and 4 dozen wipes)

HTHs. I will admit that I haven't been the best about washing my CD's every day or even every other day so maybe that's why I feel I need more. By the 2nd day I do but we have water pressure issues and only one source of water can be used at a time. It's either dishes or laundry or shower at any given moment. Sucks and things get backed up fast (dishes & laundry) We need a new well dug.

**Hope someone else will weigh-in on how many PFs are needed for someone who washes every other day and double it for twins.
February 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Super Mommy
I have two dozen small prefolds, 4 snappies, 4 Thirsty duo covers sz small and 3 Baby Kicks one size pockets, which I got for just $15 a piece on Amazon. I didn't think I'd want to get the one size pockets because they're so expensive, but these BabyKicks ones rock. I've used them on my heavy wetting 3.5 year old (43lbs) for night time and they work pretty well, and they snap down so small. I think I'll probably get a couple more covers and maybe a couple more pockets plus some wipes and my stash will be complete, I hope!
February 24th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Making your own cloth wipes is crazy EASY. I just opened up my sewing machine (brand new) yesterday. I haven't sewed on a machine since I was about 12. Today I not only made a dozen wipes but i also cut and resewed a prefold to see if it fit better in my Thirsties cover (it totally did). I also made 2 2-layer flannel doublers (because I found a strip of flannel from the wipes that were the right measurements, lol).

I'll post what all I have on Friday when I get my mystery wet bag from Rump Arounds (it comes stuffed with at LEAST 2 diapers and should have a bunch of other fun accessories ).
4hearts likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 27th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay! My current stash:

Newborn:

*4 thirsties covers and 36 prefolds
*3 Bummies Super Whisper Wraps

Toddler:

*4 thirsties covers and 24 prefolds
*4 various pocket diapers with liners (my minky rumparounds are soooo soft!)

Both:
*Massive amount of home sewn wipes
*2 sets of sew doublers
*2 small wet bags

I am currently ordering fabric and materials to make my own doublers as needed. I am also going to scout throughout our house, our families' houses and thrift stores to collect a bunch of cotton t-shirts to make fitted diapers out of. I found a lot of super easy patterns online and I feel better about cutting up old t-shirts than using my prefolds to do it
4hearts likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search