for the mothers here with jobs outside of the home

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Veteran
When do you plan on taking your maternity leave? For me, I work in a residential home Monday-Friday 4 p.m.-12 a.m. currently and may be even taking a higher role doing things outside of working in the house as a supervisor. (NOT sure yet if I will take it especially with a toddler who needs me right now and the fact that I will have a newborn soon) Anyway, I work with adults with developmental disabilities who need 24/7 staffing, so if I went into labor it's not one of those jobs where you can just get up and say you need to go. You're there alone with people who cannot be alone and you need to wait on someone to come relieve you from work. With Chloe I was 6 days early, so my mom suggested just to be safe to go with taking it two weeks before my due date. What do you guys think? I worked up until the day I delivered when I was pregnant with my daughter because I worked in a call center. What are all of you going to do?
February 25th, 2013, 09:02 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well Im a SAHM but if you work where you cant just up and leave...I would maybe talk to your employer and see about the possibility of having either another person shadow you for those final two weeks in case you go into labor and having a person there with you so you could just leave. Or take off the final two weeks. I guess it would depend on if you want to work longer due to money or amount of leave reasons. (I would try and have more leave for after the baby is born instead of using it on before personally)

February 25th, 2013, 09:06 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on working up until I deliver. I'm a surgical tech at a veterinary hospital. It is already getting harder for me to restrain larger active dogs and even harder for me to move them after they have been sedated. I had this same job when I was pregnant with Kiefer and I had to start trading jobs with some of the other techs as things got harder for me. For example, we have one lady who does most of our dental cleanings under sedation. That part requires sitting in a chair while cleaning the teeth. I will probably take over that once I get too big to be assisting with other things. I will also probably start doing more of our lab and surgery prep work as I get bigger and less of the actual animal wrestling.

February 25th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With Alex I worked right up until I went in for my first induction. With this one I am leaving 2 weeks before my due date. My last day will be Alex's birthday and my gift to him is (hopefully) 2 weeks of last only-child-hurrah.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
Plan on working until last possible moment unfortunately
With DS I got taken out of work a week early due to high BP

February 25th, 2013, 10:02 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I plan on working until the last possible second. Luckily I have a desk job where I work pretty much alone w/ phone and computer all day, so it will not be a big deal to leave unexpectedly... I do work 45 mins from home and DH's job, so it will be a big deal if I am dealing with some kind of emergency at that time.. but I will cross that bridge when it comes!

February 25th, 2013, 11:02 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'll also be working up until the last minute. Two weeks before your due date seems a little early. I would talk with your supervisor about what they recommend.
February 25th, 2013, 12:53 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will work right up until I pop. I work with kids with autism in their homes and my kids that I have right now are not super physically challenging for me (unlike some of the kids I had when I was pregnant with DD). With DD, I worked on Monday, but went home halfway through the day because I was in pain. I went into the center for the company I worked for at the time on Tuesday morning bc my home session was cancelled that morning. There was a poorly trained summer staff member reinforcing problem behavior, so I ended up training her on how to handle it, which had me on the floor for 45 mins with a kid who was really physical. It was 9:30 when that was over and I went home. Sooo much pain. I took off the next day bc I was still hurting, then when I was getting ready to go to work on Thursday morning, I noticed signs of early labor, so I stayed home. It was lucky I did bc my water would have broken on someone's floor.

This time, my biggest concern is going into labor in someone's home and having to have DH pick me up at someone's house, which gets touchy with HIPPA. I will have to have my clients sign consent forms for that to happen.

With what you do, you may have to consider taking leave early if there isn't a way you can leave if you go into labor. Also, with the kind of work that you do, is there physical work that could bring on labor if you're already close, making it more likely for you to go into labor at work? I hope you are able to come up with a plan that works for you!

February 25th, 2013, 01:57 PM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I too plan on working up until I go into labor. I work at office job too and can leave anytime I need to.

I went into labor at doctor's office and at home with other two daugthers. I have this fear my water will break at work in my chair and everybody, including myself, will be grossed out! hahahaahahaha

~Kristin~
February 25th, 2013, 02:56 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also plan on working until the last minute. I have a very flexible job that is not very physically demanding. I don't want to waste my ridiculously short maternity leave (6 weeks) before baby is born.

February 25th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
I may work until I deliver. We get 140 days maternity leave here in Russia, so I want to take advantage of all the time. But I actually may be switching careers so big decisions I have.
February 25th, 2013, 08:53 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Because I haven't been with my current job at least a year, I don't qualify for actual maternity leave, plus we're moving to be closer to my family this week. I might just get a side job until the baby gets here, possibly as an at home companion instead of going back into a facility even though I'd make more money. That way I'd have more flexibility when I go into labor since in a facility you have to wait for a replacement. Plus working in a facility is becoming harder with lifting and being on my feet 8.5 hours a day without much time to rest even when I over do it. We'll see, though. I plan on working up until I go into labor.

February 25th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am fortunate with my job I make my own schedule and can work from home most the time if needed. I do plan on working and going into the office up until I am not able to drive. With DD I worked in a call center and took off 3 weeks before she was due bc they were being Aholes about letting me off for appointments so my dr. documented that I was having issues with swollen ankles and sitting for long periods of time and I went on disability until I delivered and my work had to pay me. It was a win/win!

February 26th, 2013, 03:00 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on working until the last day of school (I'm a teacher) which is June 11th right now. I hope I last the whole school year. I am due June 23rd. With my dd, I worked until right before February vacation (she was born during vacation. I took a few days off early because I was past my due date and I was pissed. haha.

February 26th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I work very part time, so I'll just work up until delivery. That's what I did last time too. It's not a big deal to find coverage for me if I go into labor the day I have to work.

February 26th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I work outside the home, but i work in an office setting so my job shouldnt interfere. As long as i am healthy and okay to work i will work up until the day she comes. I want to spend as much time with the baby as i can.
February 26th, 2013, 11:01 AM
MommaMandaPanda89's Avatar I'm having a Girl!
I as well work in an office, and I am very grateful for as nice as they are to me as far as all of that goes. I plan to work for as long as I possibly can that way I can spend as much time at home with her as possible.
Now child care and coming back to work is where my issue comes into play lol

*Amanda*

February 27th, 2013, 07:19 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
I am also planning on working up until i deliver if i can... my hubby is a little concerned about me doing this . He says he knows that its going to be hard. I work 12 hour shifts and i am on my feet a lot. I don't want to cause an uproar at work ...i am the only RN on my team and so it would be very hectic for me not to work up until i deliver. There aren't a whole lot of people for coverage for me. I am going to talk to my manager tomorrow about this whole thing. We will see i guess. lol. i know that i am much more tired these days and i am almost 27 weeks... i don't know how i will make it when i am almost 40 weeks!!!

February 28th, 2013, 06:24 AM
lalap's Avatar Super Teacher
I'm a teacher, so I'm off during the summers (thank God!!). Mid-July is about perfect timing for me since we're out June through August.
February 28th, 2013, 11:53 AM
PregnantAtLast's Avatar Loving my baby boy
i work 45-50 hours a week and its all on my feet so im finding it hard im leaving at 37 weeks and get 9 months off with baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search