Cribs and Nursery furniture?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Veteran
Hey ladies! So I'm trying to figure out this crib and furniture thing. I was looking on consumer reports and I really like the crib they have as number 2 in ratings....

Europa Baby Palisades Convertible Crib - Cherry : Target

I also like the dresser/changing table combo that matches it, but does anyone here have any experience with this furniture? Does anyone know if it is good quality, like will the dresser combo be worth the $400 price tag, will it last? My aunt and uncle are talking about buying a piece of furniture like that for us...but they want to get us something that is good quality.

I also was looking at this furniture set from sears. Consumer reports didn't test this crib (they only tested 14) but they tested a different one from Delta and it had ok safety reviews. My question is again about the quality of the furniture...

Delta Eclipse Furniture Bundle - Baby - Baby Bundles - Nursery Furniture Bundles

Does any one here have experience with any of these brands? thank you much!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 25th, 2013, 12:20 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
we did graco for crib and changing table and bought the dresser at ikea
baby furniture is so overpriced
changing table only is usable for the first year if you use it at all
the crib, i was all excited like its convertible, we'll use until hes a teen
yeah no
that didnt happen. he got a big boy bed at about two
that seems like a lot of money to spend but if someones buying it for you and you have the cash more power to you.

February 25th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Veteran
Yea the crib is going to be a gift from my mom, and the changing table from my aunt/uncle. They like the idea of a changing table that also is a dresser so that it will get more use. My boyfriend and I were completely fine with buying the Graco crib we saw at Target, but they are insisting on buying "heirloom" quality type furniture, and my mom is a stickler for the consumer report ratings...I guess when my oldest cousin had his first baby my aunt and uncle bought them a crib that they ended up using 2 years later when the second child came along. My aunt and uncle's other son and wife are expecting their first child in a month, and they bought them some crazy expensive crib from pottery barn, which my cousin's wife said she was planning on using again if they have more kids. My mom however, doesn't have the money to buy that pbk crib. lol.

all of my friends however ended up buying toddler beds and new cribs each time, but then they didn't spend much on the crib...so this is new waters for me.

Regardless I'm totally grateful for this gift, I just don't want them to waste their money on something that that isn't going to last and is bad in quality.

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 26th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Depends on realistically how long you will keep it. For our first, we purchased the same quality furniture we have for the house. The crib converted into a full bed. Our first child is 10 and continues to use it. For our second child we had the furniture from my grandmother's room after she passed. We just used a cheaper crib (handed down from my sister's kids) and when the time came put up my grandma's bed. For this child we plan to purchase good furniture that we will use the entire time. We are in our forever home though.

February 26th, 2013, 09:33 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We have a graco crib for our youngest and it is an amazing crib that did not cost a million dollars. It's also a lifetime crib but like wont be used as that because our boys will be sharing rooms so we will get nice bunk beds later down the road. We move a lot so that plays into the type of furniture we buy.'

February 26th, 2013, 09:53 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cribs | Davinci Kalani Convertible Crib | Shopko.com

This is the crib we have (Altho its a hundred bucks cheaper now than when we bought it 2 and a half years ago) DD still sleeps in it with the toddler rail and is large enough I could keep her in it for at least two more years but shes getting moved to a bigger twin bed in a few months so that lil mans nursery can be set up. And Ive been very happy with this crib.

February 26th, 2013, 03:39 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If it's real wood, I'd say go for it. Our Graco crib, however, is laminate and because we got the white instead of a "wood" finish, it doesn't show any wear at all and we're reusing it. I'd never buy a darker piece of kid furniture unless it was solid wood because any scratches to the surface make it obvious that it's particle board. DD's dresser is a lighter color but it's still a fake wood laminate and it drives me crazy because it's very obvious that it's fake.

I wouldn't spend the money on the changing table; just get a changing pad for the top of the dresser and find some other storage solution you'd reuse for the diaper supplies. A changing table isn't a very versatile piece of furniture and you might not even use it. Once DD got to the age where she was squirmy, I felt better changing her on the floor or our bed.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

February 26th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Veteran
MamaSkunk, I like the design of that crib! Have you had any issues with it scratching easily? One site I was on mentioned it was a softer wood, and therefore was prone to scratches...but then majority of the cribs out there have that review.

I like the idea of a lifetime crib, so that down the road Layne has a nice bed to sleep in still. But I know that things happen differently sometimes. so even if it doesn't get used as a lifetime stages crib, I was hoping i'd be able to use it for baby#2 when that time comes.

At the moment my boyfriend and I are renting...actually waiting on the landlord to do some renovations so we can totally move in. We are also however talking about getting a starter home soon...but until then we plan to stay in the apartment we are renting.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search