Husbands who play video games?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By Hopeful2BMommy
  • 1 Post By crawmommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I was wondering.. Any mommies have hubbies who are gamers
? My husband does.. And he is on the stupid thing from the time he wakes up to the time he goes to bed! If your husband didnt work because he was injured from being in the military and cant work how long would you want him on the game for... Hes just lateley started helping eith the kids and by that I mean he changes every, otger diaper.. And I cook clean give the tubs daily.. And he sits blairing the tv.. When I try and talk to him about it hes telling me hes going to take my phone. But im not on it 24/7 I autually do stuff around the house... I asked him to empty the dish washer at about noon today and its now almost 5 its still full..and I dont have dinner ready cause he never seperated the chicken like he said he would 3 days ago! What would you do. Im getting really angry with him do you think its un fair for me to ask hom to turn the tv off for a while.. And everytime he turns the tv offf he takes my phone cause he says if he has to sit and do nothing so do I... But I need more help than a cupple diaper changes a day and him brining the kids up for bed. Really angry with him right now.

And when I try to talk to him about stuff while hes playing his game his respo.ce is mmhmm and then I ask him later about what we were talking about and its you never said anything about that to me.
February 25th, 2013, 03:57 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine plays COD quite a bit, but he's pretty good about making sure I don't need help with household duties or anything first.

February 25th, 2013, 04:53 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Ugh, mine. I don't mind so much when we can play together, but I haven't been in a gaming mood lately and he's got this new (to him) game he's been playing with a buddy from work. And then will play for HOURS at a time if I don't turn into a ***** and remind DH he has two kids that would like some attention. He's not always like this, but for some reason this game has turned him into a gamer zombie husband.
February 25th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My SO plays every once in awhile, but nothing outrageous..

#1, 4, 5, 7
February 25th, 2013, 04:55 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My husband does but he is good about only playing after the kids are in bed.
MamaSkunk likes this.

February 25th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My hubby plays. But he works and I don't, so I try not to get upset too much. He knows that he'll have to limit the gaming time after the baby comes. There have been many times, though, that I have had to tell him it's getting out of hand.
D&K's_mama likes this.
February 25th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2BMommy View Post
My hubby plays. But he works and I don't, so I try not to get upset too much. He knows that he'll have to limit the gaming time after the baby comes. There have been many times, though, that I have had to tell him it's getting out of hand.

Same here. It's been out of hand many times...but I think it'll be the same as when Fiona was born. Afterwards, he was too busy to play anymore and so he quit. He only picked it up again this year and has been going nuts with it...hours and hours and hours played. I know he works hard and it's his way of unwinding, but it's still too much sometimes. But I'm guessing once the baby is born he'll be too busy to play again, so I try not to nag at him too much. It's his last hurrah, lol.

February 25th, 2013, 06:09 PM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
My DH plays COD but it's not an every day thing.

February 25th, 2013, 06:10 PM
JadeS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JadeS Send a message via Yahoo to JadeS
my husband is always on his online game.. its a multi player game.. honestly.. i hate it.. but its something he enjoys. i wish they didn't existed at all bc it is kind of addictive.. and he does spend an awful long time on it at a time.. :roll eyes:
February 25th, 2013, 06:34 PM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dh plays too. I dont mind for the most part.. But there are times I NEED help with kids and he's in his own world with his headset on , not knowing a thing thats going on! There are times where it seems hes more into then others! Lately he hasnt been playing as much, but I think its because his close friend that he plays with alot is in the process of moving so its just not as fun when he dont have him to play with .... I'm totally no into gaming whatsovever.. doesnt even spark my intersest! My son plays with his daddy some and my sister plays online with them some too... I just cant sit still that long!!!!

February 25th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DH USED to be like that...waaaay back in the day when we were not married, but living together. It got to the point where he'd play from the time he got home from work til 3-4 in the morning, then sleep a few hours and go to work. I started going out to get food for myself and not bring him anything to eat so that if he was hungry, he'd have to get off the game. Luckily it was pre-kids, so there really wasn't a whole lot that he was neglecting, other than me, and he eventually grew out of it.

Ever since we had kids, our rule has been "No TV if the kids are awake." So even if he wanted to play that much, it'd be against the rule we both agreed upon. He gets into a few games here and there now, but he doesn't play until the kids are in bed. So he comes home, we have dinner as a family, he plays with the kids, works out, helps put them to bed, and THEN plays for 2-3 hours. And that I don't mind because it gives me time to do my own thing too.
February 25th, 2013, 07:03 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh my DH isnt a gamer thank god!!! I couldnt stand that. Sadly it can be an addiction for too many people...more men then women Ive noticed. There are Gaming Anonymous programs in some areas so if its something you feel has gotten out of hand then I urge you to see if you have any of those programs locally. And as with any addiction one of the first two indicators that its an addiction is that 1. They wont admit they have a problem. And 2. It interferes with their daily life.
Men should definately be more active in their childrens lives and not ignoring them and you in favor of a game. (Navywifes hubbys playing time sounds like the healthy and ideal game player...as in kids come first and its only for a lil bit. Anything more than that is bordering on addiction.

February 25th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DH is a gamer, but he doesn't play anything that involves other people. We have a Wii-U (and a Wii, and a game cube...) and we play together a lot. He also plays this game on the PC that's an MMORPG and he sails a ship around the world, and it's really helped his geography skills, and we decided when Arthur is old enough we're going to get him to play it, so that he can learn geography. His gaming comes and goes though. He'll play his ship game while he's grading, since it takes the tediousness of grading away (and his anger that his kids can't conjugate verbs still gets nullified). Right now there's no real push to get him to cut down after the baby comes. I figure if he can wear the baby or rock the baby and play, great. The gaming really doesn't bother me at all. He works and does the one chore I allow him to do, so however he spends his down time is up to him.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
February 25th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Super Mommy
The kiddos broke DH's Wii and my little brother broke his Playstation so as of right now he has no gaming system. He's not too bad when he does play though, usually for just an hour or so during the day while the kids are awake, always during their down time. And I don't really care when he plays after they go to bed, as long as he doesn't miss out on sleep for a game. Way back when we didn't have kids he would play for a lot longer, and I think if I weren't such a nag he'd play longer now, but there's no way I'd put up with that kind of crap if I were you. Just him taking your phone because he can't play his games is baloney and tells me that he has a problem.
February 25th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
dh will go in spurts where he will want to play all the time for a few weeks and then not play for months. When he gets annoying with it I start being a big ol' B and refuse to do his laundry or something to let him know if he wants to neglect the house & us then I will not do things for him. I am not sure if me going on a mini strike helps but it sure makes me feel better! lol. I would not classify him as a 'gamer'
navywifey2003 likes this.

February 25th, 2013, 10:00 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SO only plays a handful of games, and has actually gotten me interested in a couple of them. He likes helping me through the hard parts and whatnot and then when he wants to play I just jump on the laptop. He never plays for more than an hour and it's never when something else should be happening. The man I dated before my SO now was a super gamer. He could game for hours on end and would get upset with me because I didn't want to play anything with him or when I wouldn't just sit there and watch him play something. It was incredibly bothersome, especially when there were other things to be done. I feel very lucky that my current SO isn't super into gaming. I don't know how I'd deal with it.

February 26th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlechicksteph View Post
I figure if he can wear the baby or rock the baby and play, great. The gaming really doesn't bother me at all. He works and does the one chore I allow him to do, so however he spends his down time is up to him.
For the record, babywearing + yoga ball = magic baby soothing technique! LOL! It's worked for both my kids, with both me and DH...and you can do it in front of the TV, while on the computer, while reading, etc.
February 26th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Yeah I dont know if I want to do that gammer anonomus because hes going to be getting into school for video game desighn but something has got to give its ruining our marrage! He gets mad when he has to cook sloppy joes or make oatmeal mean while im cooking cleaning sd oin laundry ect. I feel like I dont have a husband anymore before we got tge game our relationship was nice.. Before we got the tv our relationship was great... I just want to get rid of it all...
February 26th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
We don't have any kind of gaming system. DH has a handheld PSP that he plays sometimes but......I don't remember the last time I saw it. If DH was ever just gaming all the time he could bet money on coming home to it all gone one day after work luckily we don't have this issue

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search