formula questions

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 06:13 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
I do plan to breast feed but not when I go back to work so maybe just for a few months.
I have been getting samples of the enfamil newborn formula. I have a few cans. now if I start using this do I have to stick to Enfamil. Can i switch to a cheaper brand.

I was told that enfamil will give you lots of samples and coupons but then you have to stick with that formula. like it's hard on baby's belly to be switching formula all the time.

Can anyone fill me in. Any formula info is appreciated.
February 25th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
It just depends on your baby. Some babies are super sensitive to certain formulas and others can switch around no problem. Essentially, the formulas are the same from brand to brand. But of course there are different types throughout each brand (ex. soy, milk based, acid reflux, etc).

But again, it just depends on your baby.

February 25th, 2013, 06:20 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
You may have to try a few different ones (and the store brands are as good, sometimes work better even, than the name brands) until you find something that works, but you don't want to be switching around constantly. Once you try one you want to give it time to see if it works. Too much switching too often can cause baby tummy troubles.
February 25th, 2013, 07:01 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I agree that it really depends on your baby. Lily had no issue with formula, and we ended up switching to the Sams Club brand (I think it was comparable to the Enfamil) because we got a lot more for the money.
February 25th, 2013, 08:41 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also agree it depends on baby. We didn't introduce formula until 10.5 months but when we did we had to use nutramigen because of B's milk allergy.
February 25th, 2013, 09:50 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was able to switch my son to a generic brand formula at a couple months old without a problem... I never tried with my daughter because she was on a special formula for preemies. But we didn't have any issues with my son. It is worth a shot because there are some good generic brands that are a lot better value.

February 26th, 2013, 12:37 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD was on Similac formula as Enfamil made her always get sick and constipated. And Similac is amazing about sending out not only full large cans to new moms but also sending you like $20 bucks worth of coupons every month if you sign up at similacs website. They are comparable in price to some of the cheaper brands yet they are one of the most popular brands. Enfamil has also had three cases of Salmonella in their formula in the last few years just Fyi.

February 26th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Our Pedi suggested sticking with one kind till 6 months old so it doesn't upset the tummy so much switching to different brands. Now if the kind you are using isn't working ie reflux then I would say that wouldn't apply. I used Kirkland brand for my oldest and always bought it at Costco since its cheaper.

February 26th, 2013, 08:58 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for all the info.
I wonder if using the Enfamil newborn sample jugs i have is even a good idea anymore.
February 26th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I would say you could use them but I would stick with them for a few months before switching and I know Enfamil is more expensive. If you sign up on Similac you can get samples and coupons and I got a full can after I gave birth with both girls even though I didn't use formula with my youngest. Also ask your OB and the Pedi you will use for samples or coupons.

February 26th, 2013, 11:56 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since of the problems I had with Enfamil with DD and then finding out about the salmonella cases with them I dont even sign up for them but the ones I had I threw away. My friend took her Enfamil sample containers and set them aside for giving to their barn cats in the winter hahahaha.

February 26th, 2013, 07:52 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
We used enfamil the whole time with Liam
we had to use gentlease, easier on his tummy
around six months or so we switched to target brand and worked just as well
they also sent us a bunch of coupons and at target you can combine target coupon and brand coupon so we would save a bunch
both enfamil and similac were similarly priced
i wouldnt stock up on formula but if you have free stuff definitely try it

February 26th, 2013, 09:47 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar March 2015 DDC Co-Host
I tried several kind with DS because he had gas (farting, not burping/reflux) issues. I started with Similac Advanced, but it almost acted like it to was too heavy for him, so we switched to the Orange can (I think it was Sensitive) and then finally Green (organic)...but nothing worked. Last one we tried was Kirkland brand (which I think is the generic for Similac Advanced) and it was a perfect match. He drank that without any further gas/poop issues until he turned 1 year old.

February 27th, 2013, 06:52 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never used formula with DD, but a parent that I worked with when DD was an infant (a super mom, the kind that knows everything about everything and can back it up) told me that if we ever used formula, to use the Walmart/Sam's Club organic. She said it was the best formula she used and it was a fraction of the price of the big brands. I'm sure it still varies from baby to baby how they respond, but it sounded like good advice from a source I know I can trust.

February 27th, 2013, 10:13 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We used target up and up brand with Katelynn no issues.

February 27th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When we supplemented with formula we regularly bounced between brands (mostly between Enfamil and Similac) all dependent on sales, coupons, etc. We just made sure we got the sensitive version of each. Alex never had an issue with this. My niece, however, would have been barfing non-stop if her parents did that to her.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search