OT: Sebastian's neurodevelopment testing

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 4 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By MrsLat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry I haven't been around ladies. Things at my house have been super crazy. Alex has been in and out of the ER with a group b strep infection and dehydration and Sebastian had his big testing day yesterday. I posted about in the private forums but figured I can get everyone up to speed here (especially the ladies who have been going through the same thing).

The good news is, Sebastian is not autistic. The hard pill to swallow is that he has a Global Develpmental Delay which pretty much means that in his particular case, he has the mentality, life, and social skills of a 2 year 8 month old while he is just over 5 years old.

The did think he would be better suited for special education classroom where he can get the help he needs a long with outside independant therapy. They don't know if this is something he will recover from or struggle with for the rest of his life. We can only stazrt the therapy and watch for results. Some kids do really well and others don/t.

There isn't any medication to help with this. She said we are doing all the right things here at home. But he qualifies for social security disability and with that money, we can enroll him in a better school and bring him to one on one settings for learning like te sylvan learning center. Also, he will require extra help developing his fine motor skills with an occupational therapist, as well as his communication skills with a speech therapist.

So, it sucks. Ive cried. A lot. But I've got a plan now and my war paint on. I don't feel so helpless anymore. Now I have weapons and tools to help my kid.

February 26th, 2013, 02:37 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Big hugs Tania sweetie. Im glad Sebastian has such a great mama to be in his corner to help him.
sunnydaze likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Feel free to PM anytime and I can give you my private e-mail as well. Our first son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 22 months of age. At age 4 that changed to Aspergers (which is very mild autism). I didn't know how to handle it at first. From the time our first child was a thought in our minds, I had planned his graduate school. The docs basically told me I should think of group homes for when he got older. We commenced 30 hours of therapy a week. Unfortunately he never had a "typical childhood". Rather we spent our time in occupational therapy, speech therapy, physicial therapy, pragmatic therapy, etc. I think I know them all. When he was not with a therapist we were doing the work. Sounds terrible I know. Here is the good news. He is 10. He is in a school for children of average and advanced intelligence. The work is well advanced over typical classes. He does it without problem. He gets upset with a test grade of 33/35. Even greater - he has some friends. This is HUGE for a child with Aspergers. He will never have a career as a politician. He is likely to have an engineering career though The point is the news is devastating at first. Let yourself feel everything. Then know that there is HOPE. Not all outcomes are perfect. I realize that and empathize. There are cases of a great outcome though.

February 26th, 2013, 03:07 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also have a child with developmental delay, from being extremely premature. SSI has been a huge blessing because we have been able to afford a lot of therapies that she needs. Also, her father is an Occupational Therapist and I have seen sooooo much improvement from the therapy he and his clinic provide for her and other children with delay. There is hope. I just want to give you huge hugs and let you know that we are here for you!
sunnydaze likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 04:40 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I am glad he has such a wonderful mother! Hugs Hun! We are here to support you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search