Treating you different

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopeful2BMommy
  • 1 Post By Steph625
  • 3 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By D&K's_mama
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By sunnydaze

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2013, 08:59 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Is anyone treating you different now that you are pregnant? How do you feel about it?

February 28th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get lots of extra attention loll and I'm okay with that.
Steph625 likes this.
February 28th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree with Amy! I don't receive any negative treatment. All positive and I'm taking it for all its worth!
Hopeful2BMommy likes this.
February 28th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, ever since I started showing, I just need to put a hand on my belly and sigh, and everyone seems to jump up and help with whatever I also always get the last helping or best piece of whatever we are eating. I am a bit spoiled I guess

I remember hearing that there is a superstition in Puerto Rico that it is bad luck to not get a pregnant woman whatever she wants right away, in particular foods she is craving. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me!!

February 28th, 2013, 10:00 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I have noticed getting more attention too. Like at work, people who I normally might say 'hi' to, and that is it, are stopping me in the hallways and asking all sorts of questions. It makes me feel self conscious since I am the kind of person who likes to mostly keep to myself. But it is also a nice feeling too

February 28th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
DH doesn't treat me any differently and I MUCH prefer it that way. He seems more patient if I get angry/upset about something but other than that nothing has changed.
My mom seems to think that I need to eat every single minute of the day and is always tryign to shove food down my throat which can be annoying when your not hungry. My dad is terrified i'm going to hurt myself and is paranoid about my getting sick.
Random people will open doors for me sometimes and the other moms at the bus stop will jump to get DD off the bus (she needs help climbing off) because they said they don't want me to slip on the ice.
I really don't like any extra attention or conversation just because i'm pregnant. I take out my garbage, I refuse to let DH help me carry groceries etc. and I just like life to carry on as normal.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
February 28th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really see many people other than my family on a daily basis. My step-mum rubs my tummy whenever she gets home from work and my dad pokes me whenever we pass each other.

February 28th, 2013, 11:07 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
My mother is treating me differently. Most of the time it's fine, she is trying to help me clean out the girl baby clothes or make dinner for me and the girls once a week. Other times she insists that I can't do normal things, which is a little annoying. DH is more patient with me- several nights I just can't function after a certain time. I am beyond exhausted so he will help out with getting the girls to bed. As for people at work, I am not being treated any differently. Normally I am okay with that, but part of my job involves grocery runs for the office to stock up on sodas. Last week I had to carry in 10 cases of soda by myself (I took several trips) but not a single person would help me. I was a little pissed.
February 28th, 2013, 11:08 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH is more patient with my now nightly "meltdown" crying sessions. I have been way emotional and he has been really good about just listening, so that has been nice.
D&K's_mama likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It gets annoying.

My mom had a huge tantrum about me painting the nursery because of the "fumes" and even tried to tell me to wait til spring so I could open up the windows.

When I told DH about her overreacting, he said "well, I'm not going to let you help paint simply because you suck at painting"

which I think is a bunch of BS because I painted the living room, kitchen and bathroom without his help and he didn't complain.

There are some things that are nice, like how he rubs my feet at night before bed or makes me or picks up foods that I crave.

But I get annoyed when people try to limit things I know I can do physically. This is my 3rd baby, I've figured this out by now.

February 28th, 2013, 03:17 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
People at work treat me like I'm some fine piece of china that will break if I do anything other than just exist. It's highly annoying. I can be holding a 10lb dog and 3 people will rush over and insist on taking the dog from me and giving me some sort of meaningless task to do instead. I have completely lost it on more occasions than I can recall.

February 28th, 2013, 03:28 PM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im not getting any special attention really... Everyone acts like I'm not pregnant, no one ever really brings it up either.. Not sure why.. But I kinda want the special attention I actually had a meltdown this afternoon! Saturday we are having dd first bday party and theres so much to do, well dh is on 12 hours a day at work plus hes working sat and will be getting off work just in time for the party so that leaves me doing all cleaning. the decorating and cooking alone with 3 kids to take care of and some of fam members and my twin sis who has no kids or a job right now knows this and no one has offered to help me at all.. DH is used to my daily meltdowns and crying spells, which he is good about understanding my moodswings and all that so thats good neway... to be honest this pregnancy has just sucked, and makes it even harder becuase I wanted to enjoy it so much since its my last and Im just not enjoying it at all
MrsLat likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No Nobody treated me any differently with my first one, either. I mean, I get a lot of "How are you, how's the baby doing?" questions which is nice but other than DH no one offers any additional help. This was a particularly sore point for me between Thanksgiving and Christmas because we were all so very sick and I couldn't work and the house just collapsed around us.

Well, I should be fair. When I had taken medication to make me sleep and DH was impaired in the bathroom and Alex's temperature soared and started throwing up again I called my Dad and step-mom and begged them to come drive Alex to the ER. They did do that and I was/am extremely grateful.

I would have really appreciated it if someone offered to come to my house and at least do a load of laundry or take care of Alex while I tried to tidy up. It always baffles me but I offer to do this for other people and get shot down a lot. I don't understand this.
D&K's_mama likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 28th, 2013, 08:02 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Nope, nobody gives me any special treatment, but I prefer it that way anyway. I can carry my own groceries, thankyouverymuch.
D&K's_mama likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 1st, 2013, 05:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
No Nobody treated me any differently with my first one, either. I mean, I get a lot of "How are you, how's the baby doing?" questions which is nice but other than DH no one offers any additional help. This was a particularly sore point for me between Thanksgiving and Christmas because we were all so very sick and I couldn't work and the house just collapsed around us.

Well, I should be fair. When I had taken medication to make me sleep and DH was impaired in the bathroom and Alex's temperature soared and started throwing up again I called my Dad and step-mom and begged them to come drive Alex to the ER. They did do that and I was/am extremely grateful.

I would have really appreciated it if someone offered to come to my house and at least do a load of laundry or take care of Alex while I tried to tidy up. It always baffles me but I offer to do this for other people and get shot down a lot. I don't understand this.
That is awful. In my family and my small hometown here, we all have the "it takes a village" mentality. If we get sick, everyone is throwing in their hats to help with anything. You come live by me, we can take care of each other honey.
MerinSun likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 11:39 AM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
My kids lol. But it's more of a "Oh no, there's a new baby coming" kind of treatment. My son is not happy at all.
March 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM
MommaMandaPanda89's Avatar I'm having a Girl!
Yeah at work for sure, I am a delicate flower...I always am asked how I'm feeling and such. I don't mind the little bit of extra attention.
Out in public with strangers, it's a little frustrating - people always give me dirty looks because I'm 4 foot 11 and look really young I guess....so people just ASSUME that I'm a teen mom...which is silly!
Sometimes I wish DF would treat me a little more....um pregnant, I guess you could say. Most things I prefer to do on my own - I'm just independent like that. but sometimes it would be nice to have a little extra help, some things I have noticed are getting hard to do. Although I do get a foot/leg massage now and again which is really nice! and he loves to rub my belly down with cocoa butter after my showers

*Amanda*

March 1st, 2013, 12:01 PM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
Everyone treats me like an invalid. I'm pregnant, not disabled. Yes, I can pick up that bag, I can carry groceries in... I can pretty much do everything I was doing before but it seems like everyone else is intent on not letting me do ANYTHING. As a super independent person, it's really irksome. Thankfully dh understand and stays out of my way. If he suggests that I need help, he knows he'll get the death stare.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search