Big Mommy step today

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Joanne Nicole
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 07:23 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Today is the day. DD is officially registered for preschool in the fall. We toyed with the idea of starting her in the summer, but decided that we didn't want to shove her off right when the new baby arrives. She won't be 3 until the end of August anyway and it seemed silly to pay for her to go when I will be at home. But she is definitely starting at the end of August. When did my little girl grow up so much? She is going to the preschool where I worked in high school and college. There are only 2 staff members who weren't there when I was there. Most of those people are like family to me. They even came to my wedding. And I LOVE the person who is going to be teaching her class. She is the sunshiniest person I have ever met, but gently firm with the kids. I'm really excited bc I know she will love it, but at the same time so sad that my baby is so grown up!

March 1st, 2013, 08:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My DD will start in April at a small Waldorf-y preschool around the corner just 2 mornings a week. But I think it will be great for her, they have a beautiful unstructured outdoor play environment, bunnies and chickens, so much to climb on and explore, and I know she will be able to get lots of stimulation and get her energy out there... it is a daily struggle for me to give her enough physical activity, she is very high energy!!! So I can't wait and it will give me more time to get things ready for the baby and do a yoga class or whatever. And it will be GREAT when the baby is here too. I think starting in April will give her enough time to adjust to it before the baby comes.

I will probably be a big mess after I leave her on the first day though

March 1st, 2013, 09:33 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My baby started kindergarten this year! It's amazing how fast the years are flying by!

March 1st, 2013, 09:40 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I remember the first day I dropped off DD at pre-school and she was 2.5. I think I sat in the parking lot and cried when I walked out. When I picked her up she was sooo thrilled and as soon as she started making friends and asking to go back I knew it was a great decision. I'm sure your DD will love it So hard to watch them grow up though!

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
March 1st, 2013, 10:31 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My baby started kinder this year and I can't believe he will be in first grade soon! Once they start school it really starts flying by . I'm hoping to get Katelynn in something but its so expensive!

March 1st, 2013, 01:17 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know the feeling...Jaleigh started kindergarten this year and its hard to believe so much of the school year is already over. She will be in 1st grade in August and that seems like its just around the corner. It seems like the older they get, the faster time goes by

March 1st, 2013, 09:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can I give some advice as a preschool teacher? Just to make things easier for all?

Try to talk to the teacher ahead of time about coming in on the first day during an unstructured time (like free play) so that you can take your time introducing your child to the teacher and a few kids. Make sure to build time into this visit to tour the room (with your child "finding" all the treasures). Play for a few minutes with them. While you're doing this keep reminding your child that you're going to do "x, x, x" with them and then you'll go. If you have an easy going child I would recommend starting the drop off/pick up at the same times that you will always do the drop-off/pick-up. If you have a child that you know will struggle with being in a new environment i would encourage you to do a few half days so as to reassure the child that you ARE coming back for them. You can stretch out each day by an hour to help reach your pick-up goal.

When it comes time for you to actually leave the room do so PROMPTLY. I know it is hard to leave your child who is anxious and probably very scared! I see it all the time and I've been through it myself. But it is absolutely the BEST for them for you to give them a good hug and a kiss and then LEAVE. Don't linger. Don't respond to their "STAY!" demands, don't look in through the door or come and go for a while. Trust me, this only prolongs their upset and makes things MUCH MORE WORSE. And your drop-offs will stay that difficult for a very long time. If you must watch your child to see that they're being cared for (the teacher is acting sensitively to them) then watch from the front desk cameras (if they have them) or call within an hour. It is normal and natural for the first 2 weeks for your child to go through an adjustment period. If after 2 weeks your child is not responding well to the room then it will be time to talk to the teacher about a new strategy (maybe adjusting drop-off time during a group activity instead or, even better, outside time). In the over 4 years that I have been working with very young children we rarely have children who continue to struggle after 2 weeks. Usually by the end of the first week they're old pros and barely look back as their parents leave.

Also, make sure you have at LEAST 2 complete changes of clothing (shirts, pants, underwear, socks, etc). Even if your child is the dream potty trained kid. They will still spill milk, or someone will spill it on them, they'll fall in mud, paint will get on them, etc. DO NOT DRESS YOUR KID IN VERY NICE CLOTHES! They're in preschool and their learning is MESSY. If you want to take your kid out immediately after school and want them to look nice PLEASE tell the teacher so they can change your child or take extra precautions.

PLEASE don't pack a toy that makes any kind of noise (squeaks, voices, etc) for nap time. OH MY LORD! You feel like a complete monster taking their toy away but after the 5th time of Mickey Mouse screeching "IT'S TIME TO SING A SONG!" and waking up the rest of the classroom it becomes necessary.

I have a lot more things to add but they're more specific things and not really general advice things. Plus I'll end up whining/complaining and no one wants to hear that, lol.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 2nd, 2013, 02:21 PM
Hahaha, I tell people that stuff all the time. I spent 4 years working at the preschool where she will be going. I know all to well all of the things parents do that drive the teachers nuts. DD is great about settling into new environments and being around new people. She doesn't cry for me to leave, not clingy at all (sometimes I wish she did!). And I never give in to crying demands. It's against my behavioral training. I am also all about labeling all of her items, no toys at all, except a silent stuffy for nap time, no food they have to prepare, and plenty of extra clothes, just in case. I only dress her nice for church, as a rule. Having worked there for so long and knowing the people so well, I know what they will want to kick my butt for and will be super careful to be extra considerate. She has visited there with me before when I stopped by to say hi, so she loves it already. She actually cried when we left. And she is excited about the prospect of going to school. I think I will have a harder time than she will! They also have an end of summer party every year and invite incoming families so the kids can get a look around and meet each other. It's going to be awesome for her and I feel good about it since I know the staff so well. It's just hard to see my baby grow up so fast!
MerinSun likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Ooh us too! Connor will turn 3 in May but we are starting him in the fall as well. I'm so sad, but excited for him, yet nervous, and very anxious! LOL He's not potty trained yet, and has to be in order to be in the 3's class. We aren't very strict about it yet, but once I'm in FL and not traveling back and forth all the time, we will buckle down and get it done! We actually bought him big boy undies today and he was very excited to wear them. He's randomly peed on the potty 3 times in the last 2 days, so he's definitely ready!

March 3rd, 2013, 09:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
Hahaha, I tell people that stuff all the time. I spent 4 years working at the preschool where she will be going. I know all to well all of the things parents do that drive the teachers nuts. DD is great about settling into new environments and being around new people. She doesn't cry for me to leave, not clingy at all (sometimes I wish she did!). And I never give in to crying demands. It's against my behavioral training. I am also all about labeling all of her items, no toys at all, except a silent stuffy for nap time, no food they have to prepare, and plenty of extra clothes, just in case. I only dress her nice for church, as a rule. Having worked there for so long and knowing the people so well, I know what they will want to kick my butt for and will be super careful to be extra considerate. She has visited there with me before when I stopped by to say hi, so she loves it already. She actually cried when we left. And she is excited about the prospect of going to school. I think I will have a harder time than she will! They also have an end of summer party every year and invite incoming families so the kids can get a look around and meet each other. It's going to be awesome for her and I feel good about it since I know the staff so well. It's just hard to see my baby grow up so fast!
Did you ever get the family who brought their little girl in a pure white, lacy, ruffled dress with dress shoes and lacy socks? It was absolutely maddening. She didn't have another change of clothing in her cubby so all day she really couldn't do anything. She couldn't play in the grass, paint, go down the slide, etc. I forget WHY her parents brought her in like that but they said they didn't have time to change her out after pick-up. I remember telling them that I would prefer that next time they tell us what time they'll pick her up and WE'LL change her.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Haha, we had one little girl who came all dressed up every single day. She was super prissy and didn't even WANT to do anything messy. She irritated the heck out of me. And I hated it when there was no change of clothes! It was always the kid with no change of clothes to have an accident at nap time. If I do happen to screw up and do something that I forget is annoying (not likely bc I still work with kids) I know the people there well enough that they will tell me very bluntly that they are not happy with me. DD will likely go to school in pants and a t shirt every day to make things easy for everyone with a couple of changes in her backpack and all personal items clearly labeled.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search