So stressed its going to be a long weekend

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 03:08 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Report cards came home today and attached to my sons was a it saying his teacher needs a conference with us. It states that she wants to discuss his progress. I am terrified. I emailed her to see if I could get an idea about what is going on. I hope when she responds it eases my mind but for now I am left wondering if my son is in danger of not going to 1st grade sigh.

March 1st, 2013, 04:03 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is he struggling at all that you know of? Could it possibly be the opposite, that he is ahead? Jaleigh is ahead of a lot of kids in her class and her teacher had a conference with me one time asking if it was ok if she started giving her some different more advanced work to keep her from getting bored. Just a thought...

I hope it's nothing serious! I'll be thinking of you both!

March 1st, 2013, 04:18 PM
He has two-2s and one 1. Which the one means at risk and the two means progressing. So I would think if he was severely struggling I am sure she would have mentioned it before now, or given us ideas to help him understand ect. I really don't think she would have left it until now, 3 months before the end of the year.

March 1st, 2013, 04:34 PM
Regular
I am a teacher and in my opinion, I think that she would not have waited this long to talk to you about it if he was struggling to the point of not moving on to 1st grade. Maybe she just wants to talk with you about the one-1 that he got on his report card. Maybe there is a summer program she wants to recommend for him or even just things you could do at home to help him.
Try not to worry too much all weekend. I hope everything turns out OK!
March 1st, 2013, 04:50 PM
I'm really hoping to stay busy and not think about it. Difficult but I am trying.

March 1st, 2013, 04:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hope it is nothing too bad. KUP

March 1st, 2013, 07:53 PM
This is what she said

I wanted to discuss David's progress so far in reading and writing. He's behind where he should be for this time in the year, in order to have him ready
to move on to first grade.

Sigh. I really wish I would have known sooner.

March 1st, 2013, 07:57 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbaby View Post
I am a teacher and in my opinion, I think that she would not have waited this long to talk to you about it if he was struggling to the point of not moving on to 1st grade. Maybe she just wants to talk with you about the one-1 that he got on his report card.
March 2nd, 2013, 06:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Try not to worry. Kids all develop at different times. A child with some delay in Kindergarten can go on to be top of his group. If he needs a little extra help in reading catching it early is great. This gives him plenty of time to catch up. I know some schools even have Title I (I think that is the name) reading teachers. With a little extra work he can catch up in a very short time. At this time next year he may be at the front of the group.
navywifey2003 likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks Hun. We plan on having him read to us every night. His brain works in numbers and I have known that from an early age. He can add several numbers together in his head. So I had a feeling he may have trouble with this. I am sure his teacher thinks he will catch up in time or she would not have waited until now to bring it to our attention.

March 2nd, 2013, 11:22 PM
Veteran
And if she has ... Give her hell!! Kidding (kind of)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search