have any of you ladies ever refused an u/s??

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 04:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So my good friend was telling me that her friend from work who is also pregnant and due the same time I am is finally had her 1st dr. apt yesterday and refused the u/s Both of us are in awe! She is afraid of the effects of the u/s. I mean I know some crunchy moms and none of them have ever not wanted an u/s! I was wondering if any of our 'crunchier' mamas have ever refused an u/s?

I mean no prenatal testing at all, no u/s, no prenatal care except for what she has done at home, vitamins ect. It is just weird to me...I guess each to their own but wow!

March 1st, 2013, 04:50 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am having an u/s on Tuesday for reasons that I feel are a bit ridiculous (I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead). While I'm skeptical that they will find anything out of the ordinary, I refuse to not go simply because its an excuse to see my baby girl again!

March 1st, 2013, 04:54 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I've only ever refused the downs screening at 12 weeks with both girls but chose to go ahead this time because I'm older. That was the only ones I ever said no to.
March 1st, 2013, 05:23 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There is an Internet rumor that ultrasounds are linked to Autism. I have yet to find the medical research that actually backs up this theory.

I had 24 ultrasounds with Bourne. Other than him being a peanut (whichnis genetics - he measures spot on with DH at each age) he is perfectly healthy.
March 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
People do have the right to refuse any and/or all medical interventions. If she is refusing u/s due to just wanting to let nature take its course or whatever, wanting a hands off type pregnancy, that is understandable. I sort of wonder why she is going to an OB in the first place, but whatever. But her stated reasons are factually wrong. Ultrasound as performed in normal prenatal medical conditions is perfectly safe. You have to get into very extreme animal experiments (mouse embryos exposed to very high powered waves constantly for weeks) to find evidence that ultrasound causes any harm whatsoever.

I am generally a crunchy person and supporter of natural childbirth, but I am a scientist too. Occasionally some more fringe-y parts of the "crunchy" community simply make wrong claims that are not backed by evidence and studies. This is a prime example. It is unfortunate because there are plenty of good reasons to be crunchy or natural... but people should not be bullied into it with fear and false information. This is a pet peeve of mine.

March 1st, 2013, 05:59 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
I had 24 ultrasounds with Bourne.
What the WHAT?! Why on earth so many?? That's more than 1 every 2 weeks for the entire pregnancy! Holy cow!

March 1st, 2013, 06:09 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I have heard of some women refusing u/s. I think their reasoning was that they didn't really want any unnecessary interventions. They would deal with what they were given once the baby came. I have heard some doctors using u/s as a scare tactic at the end of a pregnancy (your baby is too big, we must induce now). There was a girl in one of my other PRs whose doctor pressured her into an induction for a big baby on an u/s and her son ended up in the NICU because his lungs weren't fully developed.

Me personally, I kind of go along with the mindset of to each his own. I've had 4 u/s with this pregnancy and hope that is all I'll need.
March 1st, 2013, 06:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post

I had 24 ultrasounds with Bourne.
Holy bananas!! and I thought me going to end up having 10 or so was a lot!!

March 1st, 2013, 06:53 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am high risk for multiple reasons. I had one at 5 wks to make sure it wasn't ectopic, dating ultrasound at 8 weeks, NT scan at 12 weeks, cervical check at 14 and 16, anatomy scan at 18, more cervix scans at 20/22, follow spinal check at 24. NST and growth scans starting weekly from 26 weeks on plus 2 3d.

My cervix measured short at 1appt, so that is why there were so many cervical length checks. They did them at 16, 18 and 20 weeks this time I believe the NST will start at either 28 or 30 weeks this time. As long as he doesn't show signs of IUGR, I think they will be every 2weeks. Bourne was always measuring behind so they were overly cautious. At 2 years old, he still measures behind . He is just a little guy like his dad.
March 1st, 2013, 08:07 PM
Veteran
I say more power to her! Each mom has to make the best decision for her and baby.

The medical guidelines for ultrasounds is "when medically necessary" which leads to a wide range.

I think the fewer the better for healthy pregnancies.
March 1st, 2013, 09:13 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I didnt have a u/s until my elective at 16 almost 17 weeks. I like a hands off pregnancy it makes things less stressful for me and in turn makes my pregnancy enjoyable for me. But I am also not one who if I need it to accept medical intervention. Like Courtney I know a few women who felt bullied into their inductions and do not know they could refuse. Same goes for medical testing I just want women to make educated informed decisions and know they have a choice.
edgeofelise likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 10:34 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Sept 2014 DDC Co-host
I never turned down an ultrasound but that is because I am kind of selfish and always wanted to see the baby lol. But, I mean, they were all done for some reason or another. I had a TON when I was pregnant with twins and my cervix was shortening... and then I had a lot with Gabe to monitor my cervix. I have only had 2 this pregnancy and it is sort of a bummer!

March 2nd, 2013, 04:07 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if I personally could do that, but if that's how she wants it to be, then good for her. I'm actually missing an ultrasound at 28 weeks because we just moved and I need to get a new doctor and get set up with some medical assistance since I had to leave my job to move. But the only reason the office I was going to wanted a 28 week ultrasound was to measure, and they wanted one at 32, 34, 36, 37, 38, 39 and 40 weeks assuming Anna waited that long. Because of my weight and the way my body is distributed, they can't measure the size of my stomach to get any kind of growth measurements so they were going to do frequent u/s's. I'm not worried about missing the 28 week one, plus the new doctor might not want to do all of those u/s's. We'll see. I think it's all a matter of what you're comfortable with though.

March 2nd, 2013, 05:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My feeling is dependent upon whether the test carries any risk and whether there is a potential intervention that can help the child. I believe a parent owes it to their child to have the test if it carries no risk and could change the health of the child. For instance, the screening for chromosonal abnormalities is really optional. If a child has Downs the test does not allow anyone to "correct" the chromosones. I did not have the tests with our first two. I did have the Harmony test this time. I was higher risk due to age. In addition, I have two children at home. I needed to be prepared. The test would have done nothing to change the health of our child - just changed my preparedness. On the other hand, I am at higher risk for IUGR due to age. I will definitely have these tests. (A u/s at 32 weeks and then NST stating at 36). If they find the placenta insufficient they can take Ellianna early. It is far safer for her to be delivered early that live in a poor placenta. In this case, the test has no risk and carriers a potential life saving option for her. I would feel selfish not to have this test.

March 2nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
NoahandLola's Mommy
To each their own. My doctors uses the ultrasound briefly at each appt. so I have had a few already. 2 big ultrasound. Then 10week 14 week 19 weeks an will get another next week

March 2nd, 2013, 10:28 AM
~*Kudzu*~'s Avatar ~praying for a miracle~
A lady I work with is VERY crunchy... Only 1ultrasound, home birth, and I thought she was going to kill me the day I was watching her son and gave him a cookie!! We have another lady that we were scanning weekly throughout her pregnancy just for fun and and crunchy mom was always lecturing us on the dangers of so many scans. So far M has had 2 scan I did at my clinic, 1 3d scan and we are scheduled for 2 more next month (anatomy scan with her new doc and a repeat 3d). I, as a nurse, do not see harm in scans, but so many people are nervous bc of the "rise" in autism and ADHD. To each there own in regards to hands off pregnancy care, but I've seen more bad outcomes of it than I have good. Either way, when people are convinced there is nothing you can do to change their minds.

10/2001 09/2002 05/2003 01/2011 10/2012
March 2nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To each their own I guess. I have an ultrasound at every visit practically, just to get a peek at the baby and I love it
March 3rd, 2013, 08:27 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
I think there are certain issues that can happen with the baby in-utero that can be fixed in-utero
it seems almost selfish on the mom's part to not at least get one scan
she doesnt need to know the sex, just to make sure everything is going well
id like to see her medical findings/expertise that say u/s are harmful since 99.9% of pregnant woman get them

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search