Shopping!!! And Bumpers?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 3 Post By Joanne Nicole
  • 1 Post By Karen78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2013, 07:03 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sooo excited to be doing some shopping today for lil man!!! Thursday I bought my Medela breast pump freestyle. Cant wait to try it out! Got paint yesterday and ordered new stroller (Got the Schwinn Turismo Double Jogger).
Today im hitting up Babies R Us for Bedding and Carseat. I will also be looking at new baby monitors. Possibly buying one.
Also ladies...the whole bumper or no bumper thing. With DD i used a traditional bumper and had no problems as I didnt know. But who has used those new mesh bumpers? How did they work for you? Did your little one ever hit the rails of the crib? Im worried about their being no padding...my DD was a wild sleeper as she got older and I know the traditional bumper prevented her several times from whacking herself.
Gen88 likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Woohooo!! Baby shopping is fun.

I don't use a crib, but from my understanding of SIDS risks, the peak time for SIDS is about 4 months old and after 6 months it declines pretty quickly. So maybe you can get the thick bumpers but leave them off until baby is sleeping all crazy and really needs them, I assume that is more after 6 months and around the time of developing mobility/crawling... I know that's when my DD became insane in the bed anyway... like she was practicing her large muscle movements in her sleep anyway just an idea

March 2nd, 2013, 07:39 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never used a bumper with DD, not because I wasn't supposed to, but because I didn't see the point. When they're little, are they really going to be rolling into the side of the crib hard enough to hurt themselves? And when they're bigger and standing up in the crib, they'll purposely bang their heads into any part of the crib, bumper or not. I'm the weird minority mom that doesn't think they're cute and doesn't see a reason for them, so even if it was "OK" to use them, I still wouldn't.

March 2nd, 2013, 09:11 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne Nicole View Post
I never used a bumper with DD, not because I wasn't supposed to, but because I didn't see the point. When they're little, are they really going to be rolling into the side of the crib hard enough to hurt themselves? And when they're bigger and standing up in the crib, they'll purposely bang their heads into any part of the crib, bumper or not. I'm the weird minority mom that doesn't think they're cute and doesn't see a reason for them, so even if it was "OK" to use them, I still wouldn't.
Totally agree. I don't like them, personally. I won't be using one.

March 2nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
In the beginning we did not use a bumper at all and had no problems. But my mom freaked out about it and we continued to refuse. Finally we purchased a mesh/breathable one. That was about when Alex was 6 months old and was rolling around and could sit up on his own. I felt better knowing that if he did roll up against it he could adjust himself fairly well.

We have had no issues with the bumper. It is slightly padded but my kid doesn't seem to care.

I most likely will not have this bumper on when our new one goes to sleep in the crib. The bumper does still sag down if pulled slightly and even though it has air holes I'd still be worried. I posted somewhere else that I wrapped the thing around my nose/mouth and I could breathe easily but then again, I am an adult :\

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 2nd, 2013, 11:29 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didnt use a bumper til close to 1 year and it was a breathable one thats still on his crib. I needed it to prevent his pacifiers from all falling out of the bed since he would wake up crying looking for them so it made the difference to me to have it.
March 2nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne Nicole View Post
This exactly. For me, it's not even that I don't like them. I just find them to be absolutely pointless. Newborns don't roll all over the place and by the time baby is old enough to roll all over the risk of SIDS is dramatically decreased. My kids are wild sleepers and my daughter used to get all tangled in hers. My son would jam his head up against the crib railing, bumper or no bumper. For that reason, we won't be wasting the money.

March 2nd, 2013, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didnt use a bumper in the crib I hung it on the wall as decor. Dd never wacked herself bc I didnt use one however I do remember being worried she would get stuck inbetween the bars & mattress but never did.

Do you have the babiesrus mobile coupon for 20% off one item? If not text me & I will send it to you.

March 2nd, 2013, 01:53 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I loved my Freestyle pump. I'm actually excited to get to use it again.

I have an angelcare monitor my sister gave me. That thing also helped tons since it would sense movement and not just sound.

What car seat did you get? I really want to buy one but am waiting. I don't know if our baby will need a special one or not.

I was always too cheap to buy crib bumpers. My babies usually were in a bassinet next to my bed until they were old enough to roll and crawl around. By then, a bumper seemed pointless. I know if I had one now for my 1yr old, she'd be trying to use it as a way to climb out of her bed.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
March 2nd, 2013, 02:10 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You won't regret the freestyle. Best purchase we made. Without it, DD would not have had breast milk for the first year, but bc of it, she did.

We had a Summer Infant video monitor. I loved it, except after almost 2 years, it started this horrible buzzing all night and we couldn't sleep with it on. But by that time, we really didn't need it anymore. We will get something similar this time around.

On the bumper thing, we used one until DD could roll from her back to her stomach so she wouldn't smoosh her face against it and suffocate. The other SIDS issue is the risk of rebreathing low oxygen air. I had read before DD was born that a SIDS prevention measure is to have a ceiling fan on low circulating air in the nursery while the baby sleeps. So we did that and I didn't worry about the rebreathing issue with the bumper bc I knew the air was always circulating in there. We plan to do the same thing again. Also, the bumper we are getting is a stiff one, not plush at all, so, if somehow she were to roll to it, it wouldn't be able to smoosh and block her mouth and nose. We never had that issue with DD.

March 2nd, 2013, 05:26 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Rebecca the carseat we got was the Graco Click Connect 40. It helps keep rearfacing til 2. It adjusts for height and i have tall babies so traditional infant and convertible carseats I know wont work for lil man. I got approximately 16 months outta DDs convertible before she had her knees and legs scrunched up and she would just scream she was uncomfortable.
I ended up getting the mesh bumper. Also got the Lion King Bedding and Mobile. Also got the lion king decals and simba plush and blanket. Also got a bunch of outfits for lil man and DD. And I also got double bed rails for DDs new big girl bed cuz shes still a wild sleeper and no way would I feel safe putting her in a twin bed without them. I will take picks of my super awesome stash when i get home.
Melissa...the babies r us lady gave me that 20% discount even tho i didnt have the coupon. I saved over a 100 bucks on my purchases today. Woot!

March 2nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I wasn't going to use a bumper at all with my son due to SIDS risk, but I ended up getting a breathable one when he was about 3 or 4 months old because he would stick his legs through the slats and get stuck. No problems of him whacking his head ever...even now at almost 20 months old. And if the breathable bumper wasn't there right now, he'd still get his legs stuck. So I'm glad I got it.
MamaSkunk likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search