Where did you find your photographer?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama
  • 2 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Rochelle
For those of you who got professional maternity pics, how did you find a good photographer? I have wanted some for a while but bc of finances wasn't going to bother DH. But after seeing Rissa's gorgeous pics today, I've decided to ask DH if I can get some for my bday (St. Patty's day). I wouldn't want any prints, just the CD would be enough.

Is craigslist a good place to look or is that risky? I'd want something very cheap and simple but you know.. worth it.

Also, how much would you estimate something like this would cost me?

Last edited by 4hearts; March 2nd, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
March 2nd, 2013, 03:10 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would ask around to people you know in your area. You may be surprised to find out that you have friends who are friends with great photographers. We found out that a girl at our church was a professional photographer when she ended up working a good friend's wedding. Their wedding pics were so great that we had her do DD's 2 yr pics and they were amazing. DD is not the most cooperative kid and she still got amazing photos. She also was willing to go wherever we wanted to do the pics. I won't be doing maternity pics (I didn't w/ DD either, I HATE how I look pregnant), but we will be doing newborn pics and we will do them in our home. She charges $300 for an hour at the location of your choice. That includes a cd of all images that she has enhanced on the computer and they are embedded with a full copyright release. We generally go away with about 75+ images. At Christmas, she was offering a special for repeat customers. I think it was only about half price. It sounds pricey, but when we did pics at JC Penney, we always ended up spending $250 for a lot less pics, lower quality, 15 mins of shooting (vs the hour), they had to be in the studio, and we sometimes waited forever if they ran behind and then were rushed through.

Long way to say, ask around to other families in your area who they use.
4hearts likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Rochelle
Thanks for the help, Karen. I've taken your advice and asked one friend and she knew no one but I have two more to ask. I think I'll end up not getting them though Bc of $ which is poopoo but that's life. *sigh*

However, DD1 who turns 10 this week has been taking pictures for me lately and I think she does pretty good so I'll probably just keep her
March 4th, 2013, 09:51 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My friend is a photographer, she is the one who did my reveal shoot, and my gender reveal. I'll probably hit her up for some maternity shots. But I agree ask around, maybe find someone who is building a portfolio.

March 5th, 2013, 04:56 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lydsey's idea about someone building a portfolio gave me an idea! Do you live near a college or community college? You may be able to get photography student cheap. They do your pics and they have material for an assignment- a win-win. You can probably call the dept head of the photography dept and ask to put up an ad on their bulletin board. A lot of times, students are a cheap/free way to get awesome pics for events bc they need the experience. But a lot of them are already really good.

BTW, I think it's ADORABLE that your daughter is taking pics of you!
yvee80 and 4hearts like this.

March 5th, 2013, 06:50 AM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
I have photographer friends so I guess I'm lucky. I would def. check out some portfolios before you book with someone!

March 5th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Rochelle
Thanks y'all. I'll KUP'd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search