Found this article...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2013, 09:20 AM
~*Kudzu*~'s Avatar ~praying for a miracle~
And I'm just curious to see how accurate it is. Since most of us already know our babies gender.. Anyone care to weigh in on the accuracy of this one?

KNOW THE SEX OF YOUR BABY AT YOUR FIRST ULTRASOUND!
Finding out the gender of the baby is one of the biggest things many families look forward to during pregnancy, whether they have a preference or not.

Most average pregnancies under OB/GYN care in the United States undergo two ultrasounds -- one at the end of the first trimester, around 9-13 weeks, and another around the end of the second, around 18-22 weeks, the latter being the "gender ultrasound" most frequently.

But what if you could find out at that first ultrasound, and NOT because you can see baby's family goods? According to a certain study, you can with 97 percent accuracy!

Researchers did a transvaginal ultrasound (you know, the fun wand up your vagina) at 6 weeks on more than 5,300 women and hypothesied gender due to one marker. Then a transabdominal ultrasound (the one on your belly) at 18-20 weeks, and their method of gender determination was right 98-99 percent of the time!

Obviously you're wondering what they could possible see at 6 weeks gestation that would tell them anything about the sex of the baby, right?

The placenta!

Or more specifically, the location of the placenta -- 97.2 percent of boys had their placenta on the right side of the uterus at that 6 week ultrasound, and 97.5 percent of girls had theirs on the left. Crazy, isn't it? According to their study, this method should be considered "highly reliable" in determining gender within the first few weeks of pregnancy.

I tried to look at ultrasounds of mine and many of my friends, but I'm no radiologist, so I'm not quite sure where the placenta is, especially in some of the less clear images. Apparently if your first ultrasound was transabdominal, the image is flipped, so you'd reverse the sides.

Get out your ultrasounds, ladies! Was this true for you?

10/2001 09/2002 05/2003 01/2011 10/2012
March 3rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
My placenta is anterior, so no luck there LOL.

March 3rd, 2013, 11:33 AM
Super Mommy
Mine is anterior, too, and a touch to the left. Can't be accurate for me I guess!
March 3rd, 2013, 03:47 PM
Rochelle
Care to weigh in for mine? They were both transvaginal.

This is at a day shy of 7 wks

This is at a day shy of 11 wks

I don't know what I'm having- Team Green.

Last edited by 4hearts; March 3rd, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
March 3rd, 2013, 03:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I read this on some site like cafemom and there were a hilarious slew of comments from u/s techs and health professionals saying that this makes zero sense and it completely preposterous. I am inclined to agree... I just can't see how this would hold any water. I think the u/s image you see in the printed pic is sometimes flipped mirror image too and there is no apparent accounting for that in the method. However, it makes about as much sense as most gender guess schemes.... personally I'm a fan of mother's intuition, I was right about this one being a boy

March 3rd, 2013, 07:36 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I don't think it's accurate either. I also don't have mothers intuition my husband has it all

March 3rd, 2013, 09:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It can't possibly be accurate. In the firs trimester especially your uterus is growing so rapidly and the placenta just moves like crazy. In my first ultrasound my placenta was right at the top. By my 23rd ultrasound my placenta was clearly anterior. And there it stayed, lol.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 3rd, 2013, 11:44 PM
Veteran
I've never had a transvaginal ultrasound. Sorry I'm no help!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search