FTM baby size advice

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2013, 06:10 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So as i was on my huge shopping spree and went into several baby clothing stores...thank you mall of america lol.....I was reminded of a huge huge thing I dont think I was aware of until DD was 9 months old and i pulled out my stash of what I thought were 9 month sizes which were really 6 to 9 months and they were all too small!!!
MANY (mostly Carters) labels there sizes just like 3 months or 6 months....but what that means is they are only good up til that age. If its labeled 6 months....its a size 3-6 month. It is NOT a 6-9 month size. Secondly when buying clothes in advance Remember what season it will be when baby is that size....pointless to buy an adorable fleece hoody in a size where itll be hot out. So if i see a cute long sleeve outfit...i will think ok he will need warm clothes when he is 3 to 6 and very warm clothes from 6-9 thus covering for fall and winter. But a cute summer outfit...then 0-3 or 9-12

March 3rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good tips!!! But remember you may also have a huge baby who is in 18 month size clothing next summer poor DD had so many pretty dresses she never got to wear, she was too big for them by the time it warmed up. It is always easier to roll up some pant or arm legs than it is to squeeze them into something too small.

March 3rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
Good tips!!! But remember you may also have a huge baby who is in 18 month size clothing next summer poor DD had so many pretty dresses she never got to wear, she was too big for them by the time it warmed up. It is always easier to roll up some pant or arm legs than it is to squeeze them into something too small.
Took the words right out of my mouth...except we have the opposite problem at our house! My kids (especially DS) are slow growers so they tend to wear the same size for a long time before outgrowing it. Kiefer is 27 months and still fits very comfortably in 18mo clothes. I can't tell you how many times someone has bought a winter outfit for the kids only for it to not fit until 6 months later when it's 100 degrees outside. For this reason, I generally avoid buying sizes too far in advance. But that's just me and my shrimpy family

March 3rd, 2013, 07:33 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I have skinny kids and they are usually true to size. I tend to buy as they grow and not too far in advance because they grow at odd rates. For instance my 5 year old is 46/47 inches tall but weighs 42 pounds and a size 1 skinny foot. So finding pants are next to impossible. They are either high waders or slide right off unless they are and adjustable waist. So it really just depends on the babies size. I also find some clothes for true to size and others I look at like what? How is that 6 months they vary so much by brand.

March 3rd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes! Thank you for that reminder! Carter's is my LEAST favorite brand of baby clothing to buy because they run small and they run more narrow.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 3rd, 2013, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
Yes! Thank you for that reminder! Carter's is my LEAST favorite brand of baby clothing to buy because they run small and they run more narrow.
And this is why I love Carter's. the narrow not the running small.
4hearts likes this.

March 3rd, 2013, 11:12 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
And this is why I love Carter's. the narrow not the running small.
Me too lol! They are the closest brand to actually fitting my kids when they are supposed to. And Jaleigh is the same as David (minus being tall lol). I don't even consider pants without an adjustable waist for her.

March 4th, 2013, 08:09 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
thanks for the tips
March 4th, 2013, 10:20 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids are always really skinny too so I like Carter's also! For me, when there is a range (3-6months, etc) It seems to fit until right about the middle of that.. like 5 months or so. But that is mostly because my kids grew out of it length wise

March 4th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
Agreed, ,my son has always been big. He could fit in 12 months clothing by the time he was 4 months. it also depends on the brand. My Son is just a tall big kid. He's wearing size 8 now and he Just turned 5 in January.

March 4th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
DD was really lanky and skinny for about 3 months and then when she hit 4-6 months she ballooned. I think most of my 3-6 months stuff went to waste because she needed to wear the 6-9 months. Now she's 4 and the only problem I have with clothes is that even though she's 39lbs and 42.5 inches, her waist is tiny and she has NO butt. So her pants are constantly falling down.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
March 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
See my DD has always been tall and skinny but she fit in most of the outfits (then again i used alot onesies and skirts. And romper dresses with the diaper cover. And shorts. Etc everything obviously fit her waist so no problem. It wasnt til she was one that she wore pants often. But she was wearing 12 month size pants at 9 months...18 month size pants at 12 months. 2T at 18 months and 3T at 2. Lol the pants do always hang off her butt unless i use the inside adjusters(old navy is great at having those in kids pants) because shes obviously not the same weight as a 3 year old. But she is as tall as one. I anticipate Tristan being the same if not worse. All the men in my family are tall...over 6'5 with a few that are 7'5 and 7'8 even. And all men in my fam have broad shoulders skinny waists and no butt lmao.

March 4th, 2013, 12:58 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Connor was also tall & skinny, always in the few percent for weight when he was little....still is, really! But he always outgrew clothing sizes in height first. He flew through sizes up until around 12-18 months I think, then he slowed WAAAAY down! He JUST hit 3T sizes (he'll be 3 in May), and pants are still pretty long on him, but they were making him muffin top lol, totally uncomfortable!

A point that my ped once made to me, too was that boys are usually taller in the torso than in the legs, maybe not true for all, but pretty accurate for Connor! At some point I expect he will be 2 different sizes top and bottom!

March 4th, 2013, 01:15 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I've always had the opposite problem. My kids are slow growers and fit in newborn clothes forever. My 22mth old is finally starting to fit into some 18mth size clothes. I usually try to just buy stuff that can be worn in summer or winter and I can layer if needed.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
March 4th, 2013, 06:30 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
I have skinny kids and they are usually true to size. I tend to buy as they grow and not too far in advance because they grow at odd rates. For instance my 5 year old is 46/47 inches tall but weighs 42 pounds and a size 1 skinny foot. So finding pants are next to impossible. They are either high waders or slide right off unless they are and adjustable waist. So it really just depends on the babies size. I also find some clothes for true to size and others I look at like what? How is that 6 months they vary so much by brand.
My 5 year old is the same way, except she was way smaller feet. She is 47" and 44 pounds in a size 11 shoe. She tends to have growth spurts near the end of a season, so just when I thought the size 6 pants we have would last all winter, she grew and now all her pants are too short while it is still 45 degrees outside.

I've also had a chunky baby too. At 4 months Abri was in 9 month clothes, and 24 months at 1 year. She has a Buddha belly and bubble butt with short legs. I don't buy in advance because I'm never sure what size we'll actually need.
March 4th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
My 5 year old is the same way, except she was way smaller feet. She is 47" and 44 pounds in a size 11 shoe. She tends to have growth spurts near the end of a season, so just when I thought the size 6 pants we have would last all winter, she grew and now all her pants are too short while it is still 45 degrees outside.

I've also had a chunky baby too. At 4 months Abri was in 9 month clothes, and 24 months at 1 year. She has a Buddha belly and bubble butt with short legs. I don't buy in advance because I'm never sure what size we'll actually need.
When David told me his feet hurt from his shoes I thought he was just tired from walking. We took him to get shoes for school and they said he was in a 1. 2 sizes bigger than the shoes we had bought a few months earlier. I felt so bad.

March 4th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
@Navywife: we had the EXACT same thing happen to us. I only went into the shoe shop because I wanted flip flops for me and only let them measure Alex on a whim. Wound up not buying flip flops and bought 2 new pairs for him, lol.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search