Moms of 2+ - Stroller question

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 09:34 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would love to hear all your input on my thoughts about not getting double stroller.

We rarely use a stroller. When we go places - zoo, museums, etc. we allow Bourne (he will be 2.5 when Bodhi comes) to walk with us. My thought is that at least until Bodhi gets bigger, we will wear him most of the time out in public, like with did with Bourne. Since Bodhi will be in the Ergo, I don't see a need for a double stroller but my thought process could be very, very faulty - so I am open to your thoughts and opinions.

Most of the time DH will be with me, so it won't be that often that I roll solo with both kids, though it could happen periodically.

What are your thoughts?
March 4th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I wouldn't. Fiona never wanted to sit in the stroller once she learned to walk, so it became kind of useless. Your kids are spaced far enough apart that Bourne will be completely grown out of the stroller way before Bodhi is, and then you'll be stuck with a double stroller that's only being used for one kid. Unless you're planning on having more kids right away, I'd say just get a single stroller.

March 4th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't have two kids yet so take my opinion with a grain of salt but I also don't think a double would be much use if your going to wear the baby. As soon as Kalyna wasn't in the carrier she was walking and hated the stroller as well. I'd probably get something light weight and easy to transport in and out of the car like the Chicco for day trips where Bourne might still might get too tired walking around all day.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
March 4th, 2013, 10:45 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are definately getting a double. Already ordered and its being shipped. We go on alot of day trips and even tho I will wear Tristan sometimes....if I get tired or he gets hot then I will put him in the stroller. And DD will be 2.7 when he comes and although she can walk on her own...there are places we will go that will be crowded (zoo..state fair...museums...vacation etc) where itd be completely impractical to be pushing two strollers and its so much safer to stick them both in a stroller. Also if i am home alone and wanna go for a jog I surely dont wanna have to wait for DH just so i can take both kids with me. And H.E.L.L no will i trust wearing him while jogging. To do so is insanity.

Also we do Alot of hiking...where I also wouldnt wear him and my jogging stroller is all terrain.

March 4th, 2013, 10:52 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I'm sort of in between your thoughts and Karry's. Connor will be exactly 3 when baby girl arrives. He usually walks as it is, and the only times he is actually in the stroller is when we go to the mall (and usually only half the time then) or outings like the zoo. So I was also considering NOT going the double stroller route, because I also plan on wearing baby girl as much as possible.

However, if we do decide to get one, it will probably be a double jogger that I can use wherever. DH likes to go on runs with Connor, at some point he can take both of them with him. And since we'll be living in FL, I figure I'll be doing more of the walking/jogging thing with both of them during the days as well. As for outings like the zoo, it would definitely be useful, but I could always rent one from places like that if needed.

So, I'm torn. LOL

March 4th, 2013, 11:04 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have gotten a lot of use out of my double stroller with my kids. They were 2.5 years apart. This baby will be about the same distance apart... so I will be replacing the stroller for a new one. I have a hard time chasing down my son when he is out of the stroller (he is EVERYWHERE) and my kids always liked the stroller, though, so I guess I am the minority!

March 4th, 2013, 11:58 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lol Valerie my DD is the same way...shes everywhere!! Another plus for me on the stroller bit.
MrsLat likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 12:21 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
We are definately getting a double. Already ordered and its being shipped. We go on alot of day trips and even tho I will wear Tristan sometimes....if I get tired or he gets hot then I will put him in the stroller. And DD will be 2.7 when he comes and although she can walk on her own...there are places we will go that will be crowded (zoo..state fair...museums...vacation etc) where itd be completely impractical to be pushing two strollers and its so much safer to stick them both in a stroller. Also if i am home alone and wanna go for a jog I surely dont wanna have to wait for DH just so i can take both kids with me. And H.E.L.L no will i trust wearing him while jogging. To do so is insanity.

Also we do Alot of hiking...where I also wouldnt wear him and my jogging stroller is all terrain.
Hmmm, lot to think about here. I did wear Bourne hiking, so I would do the same with Bodhi, but I live in N. TX, land of flatness and grassland prairies.

As far as jogging, we do high mileage runs (We did multiple 15+ mile runs with B1) so we need a high mileage stroller and the flexibility to divide up if we need to when one gets fussy, etc. I run sans kids during the week, so it would be Sat. only long runs with DH.
March 4th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Super Mommy
I used the absolute crap out of my double jogging stroller. Best $175 I've ever spent. My two are a little closer in age, just under two years. I used it for everything, jogging, walking, hiking, malls, zoos, everywhere. I really liked being able to take a nice long walk without having to pick up my kids because they were tired, or wait for them because they were lagging. They used it all the way up until last spring, when my oldest was nearly 5 and he still tolerated sitting in it. Now that they have bikes that makes taking walks easier. I got a lot of use out of it. I am definitely thinking about buying a single jogger for this baby. Even though I don't go jogging anymore, I love the all terrain type wheels.
March 4th, 2013, 05:10 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jaleigh was 3 when Kiefer was born so I never bothered with a double stroller at that time. Kiefer will be a bit younger and is crazy out of control at times so I would like to have the option of keeping him contained when possible. I ordered a Graco sit n stand because it gives so many different options as far as the toddler being able to sit, stand, front/back, etc. plus, it fits the Graco infant seat I already have AND it's not nearly as big and bulky as your typical double stroller.

Just my two cents.
bribugg13 likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 05:15 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
If I get a regular double stroller (as opposed to a jogger), it would most definitely be a sit n stand!

March 4th, 2013, 05:40 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I hated my sit n stand it was the biggest waste of money ever for us. It was hard to push, turn, and a pain to fold. When Everett was born we invested in a city mini single that Katelynn used and Everett was worn everywhere. We have bought 2 new carriers for this baby and plan on Everett using the city mini while Payson is worn. We may eventually get a double but for now our single is plenty of stoller for us.

March 4th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
HIGHLY recommend a double stroller if you travel. Work can be overwhelming (40 hours would be a quiet week). The only true way for me to get away is to get in a plane. Since our youngest turned 2 (literally the day after his birthday) we have gone to Disney world at least yearly. By the time our youngest was 6, he had been to Disney 6 times, 2 cruises, etc. The umbrella double stroller was a requirement. It makes travel 100 times easier. You go to a crowded place it can be difficult to watch 2 kids. Our rule at Disney was for them to ride in the stroller from ride to ride. That way they were in front all the time and I could keep 2 eyes on them at all times. When we did excursions on the cruise, it was a long walk. They would go if they could relax part of it. The one we had was fairly inexpensive . I know it was under $100. I would have kept it forever if the kids didn't get so heavy
MamaSkunk likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 06:44 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD will be almost 3 when this baby is born. We got a Britax B-Ready. DD walks a lot now when we go places, but we also do a lot of day trips like the zoo, aquarium, or trips to places in Baltimore and DC. Some places we go, it just isn't safe to let her walk bc she will try to go her own way. The B-Ready has the option to be a single or double in a bunch of different configurations. She likes to sit in it and she generally is not crazy about the stroller. We will have to play wit configurations when Lena arrives to see which one works best for us. But I think it will be necessary for us to have a double. I also don't baby wear, so I guess that makes a difference, too. In the summer, it gets MAJORLY hot here (upper 90s and low triple digits often) and it would be way to hot to wear a baby all day outside for both of us. JMO.

March 4th, 2013, 07:07 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I've never had a double stroller. Lily was 2 when Abri was born and was no longer interested in riding in the stroller. Abri will be 3 when Henry is born. She hasn't ridden in a stroller in over a year. Now double jogging stroller is a different story. I might actually like one of those but I have never needed a regular double stroller for outings
March 4th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DD was only 19 months when DS was born, so although we never used the stroller for her when she was little, I did take it out when I had 2. I always wore DS though, so there was no need for a double stroller and by the time DD was around 2.5, we ditched the stroller altogether. DS is now a bit over 2.5 and will be almost 3 when this baby is born and he's walking almost a full day at Disneyland by himself. Last time we went, I carried him for maybe half an hour in an SSC, but it was 11:30 at night, so understandable. I have absolutely no plans to use a stroller once this baby is born. Both my kids are great walkers and for the most part, our outings are usually half day outings (aside from Disneyland, but I don't think I'll be going to Disney by myself with all 3 kids for at least a few months, so DH can wear DS when he tires).
March 4th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know I will need a double stroller (and I just bought one!) because my son will only be 2 when this one is born. I like to go on walks and sometimes I want to go at my own pace. I figure that for playgrounds and such using one of our single strollers and a baby carrier/sling would work just fine. But for longer outings or walks I want the option to put the baby in the stroller for when I get fatigued.

DH's aunt and uncle bought us a family pass to the zoo and I'll be the one taking the kids by myself. I do not relish the idea of walking in a parking lot/street to get to the zoo without both kids contained.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 4th, 2013, 08:46 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar March 2015 DDC Co-Host
I want one, but am holding off on getting one for a couple of months to see how things work out. DS loved his stroller...still does...but he's a good walker, so I want to see if its worth it to drop major $$ on a double stroller.

March 4th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyla0709 View Post
I used the absolute crap out of my double jogging stroller. Best $175 I've ever spent. My two are a little closer in age, just under two years. I used it for everything, jogging, walking, hiking, malls, zoos, everywhere. I really liked being able to take a nice long walk without having to pick up my kids because they were tired, or wait for them because they were lagging. They used it all the way up until last spring, when my oldest was nearly 5 and he still tolerated sitting in it. Now that they have bikes that makes taking walks easier. I got a lot of use out of it. I am definitely thinking about buying a single jogger for this baby. Even though I don't go jogging anymore, I love the all terrain type wheels.
DITTO!! Love mine! I got it the summer my girls were 1&2 and still use it!! It's awesome to push wether their is one kid or two kids in it! We travelled completely across Montana this summer. Went to glacier national park! It was a must to have it along!! My 3&4 yr olds could hop out and run walk whatever but in the parking lots and when they needed a break or we were going uphill made for a VERY enjoyable trip with 3 kids 4 and under!!

We actually just bought today the single version of our double because I want it for this baby for my bucket seat to clip in!!

Mine is a baby trend! Not the highest quality or most expensive! But we've used it HARD and it had the BEST wheels!!! Many gravel road hiking etc even pushes like a dream on grass!

Get one!!

March 5th, 2013, 08:22 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it really comes down to the kid.

JD will be 3 years almost 4 months when this little one is born and we are getting the sit and stand. He likes to be able to walk but he also likes to rest. He is constantly on the move and does not like to hold hands so when he's with me - he's in a stroller. DH is more than happy to run after him and "look" at things his way. LOL

I'm hoping this baby will be a more relaxed chilled out kind of kid. Then at 2 this one will be happy to walk along with us. Our problem is JD has absolutely no fear of anything - strangers, animals, cars. He'll go right up to anything if he is interested in it. No matter how many times we tell him no or try to tell him to wait for mommy/daddy especially meeting a new animal it doesn't seem to click in. I'm afraid it'll take getting bit like it took burning his finger on the stove to get him to actually listen to me to stay away from it.

So yeah - it really depends on the personality of the kid. haha There is no way we would've survived to age 3 without a stroller for JD. Plus we go out A LOT and a lot of really long day trips so we will probably end up with a double jogger too (baby trend comes to mind cause it actually fit his 40 inch frame) so he has a place for naps this summer when we do amusement parks and such.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search