Met with David's teacher

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By farmfourmama
  • 1 Post By Gen88

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 11:15 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
So we met with David's teacher today. Sigh, he is behind in writing and reading. They do levels and he should be able to read a level 3 book but he can only read a level 2. He has trouble remembering finger spaces and it is making it harder to read his sentences back. So now she said that although right now he is on the bubble of retention she really doesn't think he will actually have to repeat kindergarten. We plan on working very hard with him, reading at least twice everyday as well as reading things when we are out, for writing we plan on having him do the same journal activity they do in school. I hope we can see a lot of improvement in the coming weeks. I am so sad that my son is struggling there is no worse feeling than hearing your son is on the bubble of being held back. sigh.

March 4th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Veteran
I can't believe reading is required for a child to pass kindergarten!! That's rediculous!! Yes keep working on it but many kids struggle as 6 and 7 year olds! You are doing great mama and so is he!!

Just FYI I have a degree in early childhood development!
edgeofelise and 4hearts like this.

March 5th, 2013, 02:39 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure that your hard work will pay off. I actually repeated first grade because I couldn't read at the level they wanted me to. I was sent to kindergarten at the earliest possible moment and I guess I wasn't ready, but apparently lots of things have changed in 20 years and I didn't have to read in kindergarten. Honestly, now I'm really glad they held me back and I took extra reading classes because I didn't know the difference at the time and I loved the extra one-on-one. After that, I was a reading wiz and never stopped reading. I was the nerdy girl in high school that carried a book everywhere and even read at lunch . You being able to work with him is great. I think if my family had worked a little more with me, I probably would have been fine, but they just didn't have the time. No matter what happens, he'll be just fine. He's not really going to remember having trouble reading, and once it "clicks", he'll move along in school a lot easier. Good luck and KUP.

March 5th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to send This sounds odd I know. This could become a special time for you and him. My eldest has Aspergers. He was not talking at all until well after 2. They told me to prompt speech with reading to him. We read litteral 10-20 books a day. It was part of snuggle time. I ended up loving lots of kids books. It also gave us a special closeness. Today he never stops talking. (Truly never).

March 5th, 2013, 06:42 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Big hugs! It is never easy to hear your baby is struggling.

Does the school have any resources that could help you? It doesn't sound like he is too far behnd, so just a little work will probably get him there. My nephew really struggled in Kindergarten. My sister had just adopted him and he had been in a terrible learning enviroment. When she got him, he had already repeated K once and was in danger of not going to 1st grade. They spent the entire spring semester in intense tutoring and therapy and he is now an A student in the second grade. The situation is different from what your son is dealing with, but I wanted you to know that they can catch up and may not struggle all the through school.
March 5th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was in Iowa I used to tutor a kid in reading, and I worked with him only once a week for an hour and after about 2 months he was reading at grade level. So I'm very confident if you work with David every day, he'll be fine. He's very lucky to have a mom who cares so much and wants to help him out. In my work, I encounter too many kids who have the opposite. He'll be great

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
March 5th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks ladies. Yes reading is required in kindergarten, these days kindergarten is more like first grade.

March 5th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Rochelle
My DD1 didn't start reading until the 1st grade and I tried like the dickens in Kindergarden (home-school) but once she started reading, she took off and read a few grades above her level. I think it's insane that they put so much pressure on Kindergarteners. Also, DS who is currently in Kindergarten is not ready for reading. He is very artistic and also likes numbers but is just not interested in the whole reading thing but I am confident that once he is, he will learn it fast. I just continually bring it up to him and if it's too much, we move on to other subjects.

I'm sure you will get David to read on their required level since he's able to read at a level 2. Your plan sounds good. KUP'd!
March 5th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Awww don't worry, all kids learn at their own rate, I'm sure David is very smart. I really don't like when teachers measure all kids intelligence with the same ruler because all kids are different. Just keep working with him, He'll be just fine.
4hearts likes this.

March 5th, 2013, 09:23 AM
See at this school they really don't use the same ruler, their homework is all individualized based on the child's level. He is getting it though he just needs extra help.

March 5th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You are a great mama! Try not to worry to much with a little extra attention I'm sure he will soar!

March 5th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aw. *Hugs* Try not to worry too much. He will get there. I teach Sped but gen ed kids here should be reading when they leave kinder as well although most do not repeat kinder if they are not because 1st tends to have a more intense reading program and if they need to be held back usually first grade is the year to do it.

From personal experience sometimes is just seems to "click" later on with boys. I see it a lot with my sped kids and my own SS. He was in remedial reading in 1st grade, went to summer school and really struggled in 1st with the reading part. He's now in 2nd grade and reading on a 3rd/4th grade level. We really worked hard last summer and once he got it he just took off with it.

Don't stress too much. You are doing an awesome job. Honestly it's just great you are giving him support at home because I see so many kids who don't get that and it's really sad.
March 5th, 2013, 09:38 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow thats insane that they are so pushy with the reading in kindergarten thing. Heck back when I was a kid kindergarten was where you learned your letters and how to write your name and other simple concepts. I think they push kids to much nowadays too fast. I actually know of a 8 and an 11 year old (one is a friends child the other is a cousins child with excellent home lives and supportive parents) that the kids have had mental breakdowns because of pressure at school. What kind of world is this that kids are pushed so hard that our children have mental breakdowns and our 8 year olds come home every night with on average 4 hours of homework?!? Im sorry its so ridiculous what many schools do to kids.

March 5th, 2013, 11:56 PM
I don't feel that way at all. At least not now. He does have homework but it is like I said an indvidualized program. They started with a sheet that had the alphabet and he had to go through and learn them for memory uppercase and lowercase. They then moved on to sounds, so we went through the sounds for about 15 minutes every night. After the sounds were mastered they moved onto spelling lists of 8 words. It's up to us at home as to how we helped them learn to spell them, we have David write them 3 times each. Takes about 20 minutes less time if he is really engaged. After 3 weeks of spelling lists, they do dictation sentences 1 sentence a night, I read him the sentence he writes what he hears with finger spaces, upper case first letter and a period at the end. Then we write it together to correct the mistakes. And that's it. We read together as part of it as well. So right now it's extremely reasonable. I know as he goes through school it will become more and difficult but I don't feel that it's that much. And honestly if kindergarten wasnt 1/2 day maybe he wouldn't even be having an issue. But it's only 3 hours a day. I have already seen a major improvement in both reading and writing so I think the lightbulb is switched on.

March 6th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I think some kids just need extra practice and sounds like your doing a great job with him. DDs school starts teaching them to read in JK and by the end of SK they expect them to be at a certain level before entering the 1st grade. I'm always happy when the teacher approaches me with a specific concern to allow me to work with DD at home on something she may not be focusing on enough at school and i've always seen great improvement. DDs teacher sends home sheets of the sounds they're working on and words they need to know so I make my own activities and cue cards at home to help her along. I'm sure David will catch up in no time, although it's always hard to hear they're struggling with something.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search