labor plan inquiry of doctor

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
Some hospitals need to take the baby back to the nursery for specific exams they can't do in your room (hearing test etc), with DD we just sent DH along too and they didn't take long. And in many areas it is not uncommon for them to keep the baby in the nursery for a few hours at a time so "mom can get some rest", esp at night. This can interfere with the constant nursing that helps EBFing (pulling your milk in) so most EBFing moms want to keep baby nearby and BF on demand round the clock. My hospital with DD was fine either way, once I told them I was EBFing and rooming in, they never asked again. But DH said there were several babies in the nursery just being watched by nurses for some time so their moms could take a break, that was common in my old hospital.

For me having casarean and EBF I physically could not get baby out of the bassinet the first night. Nurses will not feed your baby anything if you tell them you are nursing. I've had all my babies spend time between feedings for the first night before I could get up in the nursery. Also casarean babies tend to have a TON more gagging /choking issues for the first little while as they don't get squeezed out quite as well as a vaginal delivery. I had a scary moment with my second when husband was out of the room and it was just hours after my casarean and I couldn't get baby!! And was listening to her gasp for air. So I never had a problem with the nursery keeping my kids between feedings when my husband couldn't be there!

March 7th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmfourmama View Post

For me having casarean and EBF I physically could not get baby out of the bassinet the first night. Nurses will not feed your baby anything if you tell them you are nursing. I've had all my babies spend time between feedings for the first night before I could get up in the nursery. Also casarean babies tend to have a TON more gagging /choking issues for the first little while as they don't get squeezed out quite as well as a vaginal delivery. I had a scary moment with my second when husband was out of the room and it was just hours after my casarean and I couldn't get baby!! And was listening to her gasp for air. So I never had a problem with the nursery keeping my kids between feedings when my husband couldn't be there!
Yes, and some babies have minor health problems, not enough for NICU but enough that they need some extra observation... maybe this falls under that category too... but it is also cultural, some moms feel like this is their last chance for a break and need the sleep, and esp if they are FFing there's no reason not to have the nursery take them for the night or whatever. Sorry if my post seemed judge-y, most women in my old hospital did *not* room in so I'm really not die hard about it. For me I was so hormonally paranoid about keeping track of my baby that I couldn't imagine being able to sleep without her right next to me. It is different for everybody!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search