Crib bedding finished!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Joanne Nicole
  • 1 Post By Joanne Nicole

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been looking in fabric stores and online for the perfect fabric to make the crib skirt out of, and looking for a ready made crib sheet that (a) went with the perfect crib skirt fabric and (b) wasn't crazy expensive. I haven't been having much luck. Most of the fabric I liked was over $10/yd and I wasn't finding any crib sheets that fit the above criteria.

Yesterday I was wandering around Walmart's baby section and I saw these cute polka-dot flannel crib sheets. They were inexpensive and the pattern matches the colours I wanted in the room, and is subtle enough that I figured I could probably find some fabric somewhere that would go with it. Lo and behold, I found a small bolt of inexpensive fabric in the craft section that perfectly matched the colours from the sheet. Woo! Here's the finished product...

It's a hard to tell from the photo, but the little polka-dots on the sheet are brown, orange, green and aqua. The nice thing about making it myself is that unlike store-bought crib skirts, this one actually goes down to the floor. Also, I made it so that it's adjustable. When I move the mattress down as the baby gets bigger, I can shorten the skirt so that it stays just touching the floor.

The other thing I found at Walmart were a pair of really cute dish towels. We live with my parents, and they have plenty of dish towels, so we didn't really need them. But I loved the colour and pattern and they were only $2, so I got them. Then I realized, while I don't need dish towels, I DO need a cover for my non-standard sized changing pad. The towels are microfiber, so they're really soft, and dish towels wash well, so I know they'll hold up. So this is what I made with them...

A custom made, double-sided changing pad cover for $2 instead of $20-$30. The towels were about an inch short all around, so I used a bit of leftover fabric from the crib skirt for the edges. The cover has little snaps at the bottom so that it can be easily taken on and off.

I'm really pleased with the way my projects turned out today. I've even got enough of the floral material leftover for a valance for the window. The print is a little brighter and busier than I had planned for the room, but I think when it's behind the wooden slats of the crib it mellows it out a bit. And even though it's floral, I think it still works for a baby boy because of the colours. Plus, the room is a woodland/forest theme. Forests have flowers!

Today was a productive day for me!
D&K's_mama, 4hearts, Gen88 and 2 others like this.

March 8th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Veteran
looks fab!

March 8th, 2013, 06:25 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Nicely done!! Glad to know I'm not the only one using a floral for a boys room
March 8th, 2013, 07:23 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Adorable! I am so not crafty! I wish I was though!

March 8th, 2013, 07:43 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Super cute! I need to make some portable crib sheets. I'm still looking for the perfect fabric.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
March 8th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oooh love it, you're so crafty. I hope one day I can make stuff like that too

Btw, can we get a close up of the sheet? Can't really see it

March 9th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It looks great. I am super NOT crafty. I am lucky if I can walk around 50 stores and find the items to make the room look good. I wish i had the ability to decorate well.

March 9th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
Love it!!! Wish I could make things like that

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
March 9th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen88 View Post
Oooh love it, you're so crafty. I hope one day I can make stuff like that too

Btw, can we get a close up of the sheet? Can't really see it
Here's a close up so you can see the colour combo....sorry the picture is so huge!

Thanks everybody for your kind comments!
Gen88 likes this.

March 9th, 2013, 06:19 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Really cute! I am also creatively challenged, so it is pricey crib bedding for us. Super jealous of your skills!

March 9th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Love the colors!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search