Questions for cloth diapering mamas

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So this is something I have never considered and have started thinking about it for the first time in the last couple of days. To be honest, I saw some super cute diaper covers at Target and that's what got me thinking about it. But I know nothing about it and have lots of questions.

Do you scrub out dirty diapers in the sink? Especially newborn diapers when BMs are liquid, this grosses me out and DH is even more grossed out than I am.

If you have done both cloth and disposable, in the long run, which was cheaper?

How do they work with the cloth inserts and flushable, disposable liners? Does this help avoid the scrubbing BM issue?

What is this stripping thing I have heard about with cloth diapers? I have no idea what this is.

DH is not a fan of me even thinking about this. How have your husbands responded/gotten on board/not gotten on board?

Any and all info would be appreciated. I would like to make the most educated decision possible.

March 9th, 2013, 12:39 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Well breastfed poop is water soluble so there is no rinsing required. It isn't until formula or solid food is introduced that you would need to shake the poop into the toilet. Many use a diaper sprayer that attaches to the toilet to aid in this. Also if you read disposable packaging it says to put poop in the toilet as well. Although I am sure many don't or don't know you are suppose to even do that. Many use liners so they just throw away the liner and there is no poop issue. We don't use these and never have, this will be our third cloth diapered child and I have never looked back. We bought some for our sitter when we went to the concert and that's about it in over 4 years. It was easy to get my husband on board and he loves not having to worry about buying diapers.

Stripping is what needs to happen if you have detergent build up, or ammonia issues. You wash them on hot several times to remove the build up. Usually this doesn't need to be done very much.

I love cloth diapers. And I was a lot like you before but now I couldn't imagine not using them.'

March 9th, 2013, 01:07 PM
NoahandLola's Mommy
No need to scrub dirty diapers in the sink. Breast fed poop is water soluble. AFter you can use a line which can be flushed in the toilet or just shake the poop into the toilet, or use a diaper sprayer. We already did this with our disposable diapers (it says to ont he package), so this wasn't a change for us.

Cloth can be cheaper, but I certainly didn't choose the cheapest option. I use one size pockets. If you use pre-folds it is cheaper. But, out of my 26 bum genius diapers I can use about 30 still for this baby, so not to bad.

My husband was not on board the first time. He was not excited about cloth at all. We agreed that at night when he did the diaper changes he would use disposable and when I did the changes we would use cloth. He converted by day three and we never looked back.
overlinmommy17 likes this.

March 9th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So this is something I have never considered and have started thinking about it for the first time in the last couple of days. To be honest, I saw some super cute diaper covers at Target and that's what got me thinking about it. But I know nothing about it and have lots of questions.

Do you scrub out dirty diapers in the sink? Especially newborn diapers when BMs are liquid, this grosses me out and DH is even more grossed out than I am.

As others have said, EBF poo rinses out in the prewash, no need to deal with it at all. Then toddler poo is often "ploppable" and no big deal. I will not lie, there can be a yucky stage in between where flushable liners and/or a sprayer come in very very handy and if you FF then you should get a sprayer and just spray them off into the toilet. No need for hand scrubbing at the sink unless you just wanna be hardcore like that

If you have done both cloth and disposable, in the long run, which was cheaper?

Never did sposies long term but the pricey eco-friendly ones are the only kind DD can wear rash free. So I believe I have saved money. There is a huge range with CDs and you can do it for basically free (T-shirt flats and covers homemade from upcycled thrift store wool sweaters) or go high end and spend thousands on handmade fitteds with imported fabrics and knit wool covers made from hand dyed virgin wool or whatever. Just like you could extreme coupon store brands of disposables or get some crunchy compostable ones that are $0.50 apiece. It just depends.

How do they work with the cloth inserts and flushable, disposable liners? Does this help avoid the scrubbing BM issue?

The liners help with plopping poops, yes.

What is this stripping thing I have heard about with cloth diapers? I have no idea what this is.

Some types of cloth diapers like the stay-dry pockets can get detergent or rash cream build up over time and start repelling instead of transmitting the liquid through to the absorbent insert. Or the inserts (esp the microfiber kind) can start absorbing less. So you put them through some hot washes with nothing or with some oxyclean or something to rinse out buildup. I have never stripped because I use pretty much all cotton diapers and they just don't need it. Not everyone ever needs to strip but it's something some people find necessary sometimes.

DH is not a fan of me even thinking about this. How have your husbands responded/gotten on board/not gotten on board?

Can't help you with that.... DH was all for it! His mama used cloth with them and he thought it sounded nicer for the baby's bottom. He did claim to have a serious aversion to poop smells (like I love it or something?? ) and said he might never change a poopy diaper, but he changed his tune pretty much immediately once she arrived, so it wasn't an issue

March 9th, 2013, 04:18 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Well I think everyone else answered your other questions really well! But as for DH being on board, it did take a few months to convince him, we didn't start CD'ing Connor 'til he was about 6m. The biggest factor was price. I wish I could find the exact articles and charts that I showed him, but it's such a HUGE savings to do cloth and never have to buy diapers again!!! Here's a few good ones I found:

Cost of Cloth Diapers

MintLife Blog | Personal Finance News & Advice | Cloth vs. Disposable Diapers: A Cost Comparison

The Cost Debate: Cloth Diapers vs. Disposable Diapers Babyworks

I've never used liners or a diaper sprayer. We did EBF for most of the first year, so there was no rinsing necessary. Now, with eating regular foods, most of the poop is solid and just plops right off the diaper into the toilet. With runny poops, I usually just take toilet paper and wipe it off the diaper into the toilet (much like one would wipe a butt! LOL )

If you think about it, as they get older, dealing with poopy cloth diapers is really much EASIER than dealing with accidents in underwear. With poop accidents in underwear, you have to slide the poopy underwear all the way down their legs to get it off (unless you cut it off?!)....making a HUGE poopy MESS! But cloth diapers just snap or velcro right off and mostly plop right into the potty! No mess, no fuss!! You're still wiping a poopy butt with disposable or cloth diapers!

March 9th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks for all of the info, ladies! So I feel really stupid for asking this, but everyone mentioned the BF poop being water soluble and no need to rinse. Does that mean you throw it into the washer with the poop still on it? Or that you just rinse it, and don't need to scrub, before it goes in the washer? Sorry to sound like a complete idiot. This is just a really foreign concept to me and I want to make sure I have all of the info before I decide for sure.

March 9th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Actually, the more research I do, the more questions I have.

When you use the kind with the inserts, do you only have to change the insert every time and use the same actual diaper all day? Or something in between? This confuses me. If we try it, I am leaning toward one of the kinds that can use both washable and disposable inserts. Does this change anything? How many diapers/inserts are enough for a solid trial run? My thought is, if we end up hating it, I will try to sell them.

March 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
Thanks for all of the info, ladies! So I feel really stupid for asking this, but everyone mentioned the BF poop being water soluble and no need to rinse. Does that mean you throw it into the washer with the poop still on it? Or that you just rinse it, and don't need to scrub, before it goes in the washer? Sorry to sound like a complete idiot. This is just a really foreign concept to me and I want to make sure I have all of the info before I decide for sure.
When you wash CDs, you always (well 99% of people) do a prewash, then the main wash, and usually an extra rinse. EBF poo is like yogurt, it just rinses right out in the prewash, and then the main wash can do its deep clean. When an EBF baby poops in a cloth diaper, you just throw it in the bin/bag covered in poop and all, and then dump it all in the washer on wash day, and let the washer rinse it out I promise it works!!! Lol. You would probably be doing the same thing with clothing or sheets that had seen an EBF poosplosion blowout. Which by the way, are very very rare with CDs, they are far superior at explosive poo containment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
Actually, the more research I do, the more questions I have.

When you use the kind with the inserts, do you only have to change the insert every time and use the same actual diaper all day? Or something in between? This confuses me. If we try it, I am leaning toward one of the kinds that can use both washable and disposable inserts. Does this change anything? How many diapers/inserts are enough for a solid trial run? My thought is, if we end up hating it, I will try to sell them.
There are pocket diapers, where the insert goes inside a pocket. Since the liner of the pocket gets pee/poop on it, the whole diaper must be changed every time. Then there are All In 2s or Hybrid AI2s. These are basically a cover or shell where the insert is laid in or snapped in. If it is just peed in and the cover is still pretty clean, you can just reuse it, maybe wipe it and let it air out and then reuse it. The inserts can be disposable versions too.

Edit to add: for a trial run, you should probably get at least a few covers and 2-3 inserts per cover for an AI2 hybrid system like Flip. In some ways it is easier to just have a full stash since you have a full load of laundry! But if you don't want to buy too much, I would look for a CD trial or try-and-return program, many online stores have these.

Last edited by shen7; March 9th, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
March 9th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Everyone has been giving great answers. For me though, I always use my diaper sprayer. Even with EBF poo. I know it's water soluble, but I just couldn't get used to the idea of putting straight poop into my washer. Even now with toddler poop, most of it just plops into the toilet, but sometimes it's mush.

I also didn't/don't like the idea of letting the poop sit around on the diaper until wash day. EBF poop doesn't smell too bad....but toddler poop--oh lordy. So yeah, I gotta spray it off before I put it in the diaper pail.

March 9th, 2013, 07:17 PM
I think I would be the same with the sprayer. I don't think I could get used to throwing any poop straight into the washer. And I found sprayers that attach to the toilet that make it seem easy. I have done a ton of research this evening and SoftBums look like a really great option to me. They look more affordable than some of the others and the snap in pods mean less covers. Has anyone used this kind?

Found them searching All in 2's, so thanks for that tip, Shen7!

March 9th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am new to cloth diapering but a few sites that really helped me are:

Imagine Baby Products
I have ordered from this website and really like the imagine brand I think for the $ the quality is pretty good. They also have a good selection, I know a lot of people like gmd the site below but I think they are a little more expensive, just my opinion.

Green Mountain Diapers: First time mom

Cloth Diaper Information

Cloth Diapering 101 (part 1 of 7) - YouTube I watched all 7 series it didn't take long but I thought it was really helpful.

and shen7 has lots of good advise, I went on the jm cd board and searched around there too.

March 9th, 2013, 09:41 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My 18 month old is my first CDing experience and we didn't start CDing him until he as about 6 months old, so I have zero experience with CDing a newborn. However, I really love it. I save tons of money because I buy cheapie pocket diapers through my online co-ops. My entire stash has cost me *maybe* $150-$200, if that. I did disposables with my twins, and even with buying store brand diapers I can tell you that it was a FORTUNE to do two kids in sposies full time. So yes, it's cheaper in my opinion. But again, I don't buy fancy diapers either. As far as the poo issue, I don't use liners but I do shake the poo off in the toiler since my son is well beyond being EBFed anymore. I don't own a diaper sprayer but if a poop is too messy to shake I have a great set-up where I just use my downstairs stall shower (which is never used for showering anyway) to spray the poo off into a bucket. I then dump the poo water into the toilet, flush, spray the bucket with disinfectant, and I'm done. So I didn't really have to go out of my way for the poo clean up either. Just had to get creative . My DH doesn't LOVE the CDing but he is tolerant of it. When he's alone with Miles he tends to just do sposies, which is fine with me. Whatever works for him. I am a full-time SAHM so Miles is still in cloth most of the time.

Lastly, I will just say that CDing does become fun, if you can believe it. I love shopping for new diapers and seeing my son's fluffy little butt running around the house .

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

March 10th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
In case you didn't have enough info coming at you! I'll throw in my wash cycle for CDs (this also varies person to person, but is usually very similar)

I started out doing one cold rinse, hot wash full cycle, followed by an extra rinse. I noticed that it wasn't getting the smell fully out of my diapers and after doing research I decided to add a couple extra cold rinses before washing. It worked like a charm!

So now I do 2-3 cold rinses in the beginning (pre-wash), a hot wash full cycle followed by an extra rinse at the end.

Here's a couple other sites for CD info:

Cloth Diaper Information

Cloth Diaper Information and Research - Just The Basics

March 10th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I didn't start cloth diapering until #2 and she was 3 months old when I got into cloth. I love them. We use pockets with reusable inserts and I got our diaper sprayer at Home Depot. I just shake off and spray the poopy diapers and throw them in a garbage pail with a lib that's in the bathroom. Then on wash day I just dump it right into the washer. I only strip if I am noticing major leaking issues or smells not coming out but since i started using Rockin Green we haven't had any issues. I buy a mix of custom made and cheap pockets. Thanks to a mama here I got some covers for little man so I have prefolds on the way for them and cant wait. Mike doesn't like dealing with the poop diapers but he's fine with using cloth since he likes saving money by not having to buy disposables. We also use cloth wipes to save even more.

March 10th, 2013, 10:23 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribugg13 View Post
In case you didn't have enough info coming at you! I'll throw in my wash cycle for CDs (this also varies person to person, but is usually very similar)

I started out doing one cold rinse, hot wash full cycle, followed by an extra rinse. I noticed that it wasn't getting the smell fully out of my diapers and after doing research I decided to add a couple extra cold rinses before washing. It worked like a charm!

So now I do 2-3 cold rinses in the beginning (pre-wash), a hot wash full cycle followed by an extra rinse at the end.
See this is why i chose to do sposies again...The water bill would go thru the roof if I had to do all those rinse cycles. If I have to do even 3 extra loads of laundry a month for whatever reason My water bill goes up on average 15 bucks. And thats without doing rinses. I had to recently rewash DDs old clothes to get the drool stains out and that required 3 rinses each load. Plus the main wash. (For a total of four loads) and my water bill was 30 bucks higher than normal. Water prices in my city are ridiculous.

March 10th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We've just started cloth diapering our 22 month old! And we cheat! lol

I bought 4 size 1&2 Thirsties covers (total of 8 covers). That goes from 7-40lbs I believe. I also got 36 size 1 prefolds and 24 size 2 prefolds and a roll of disposable liners. It all cost me only $160 from Cloth Diapers, Diaper Covers, Wipes. The ClothDiaper.Com Webstore. If you get that package I would recommend getting the better fit prefolds, I didn't and I regret it. But it's not a big deal.

How we cheat is that we use the disposable liners. So, when baby poops the majority of the poop hits the liner (pee just passes through) and we just roll it up and throw it away like we would with a disposable. Then the prefold goes into the washable laundry bag. We wipe down the cover and put in a new prefold.

For our new baby (who will be EBF) we will be using flannel wipes to wipe his/her bottom. For our toddler we will be using toilet paper and then once the nastiness is gone do a final wipe with a flannel wipe. For flannel wipes you just keep a small spray bottle with water (some ladies use a solution but it is not necessary. I got little tablets at my shower 2 years ago that I will be using ) and you spray the wipe once or twice before use. When we're out and about we just use disposable wipes.

We did not buy our wipes. I made them. Super easy and very cheap. $18 got me 72 wipes. You can also make your own doublers for very cheap. I plan on buying Zorb II ($10 a sq yard) and making 8 doublers with it. That will be plenty for both my kids.

Even though it seems like sticker shock at first, if you keep your total expense to below $500 on your kid (remember, you won't need to buy anything again for the second or third or whatever) then you will be saving hundreds if not a thousand or more on just that one kid (birth to potty trained). My goal was to keep it under $200 and that is definitely possible using simple covers with prefolds and making your own extras (wipes, doublers, t-shirt fitted diapers, etc - all dead easy).

One thing to keep in mind too is that detergent can be a bit pricey. I wasn't thrilled when I did the math and realized that if I bought CD friendly detergent that I would be spending $30 a month. I am using a homemade detergent that has been recommended to me by several cloth diapering moms who have had no issues with it. So far I have no issues but I also haven't been CDing for very long. To make the detergent it costs $30 total and you get almost a year's worth out of it.

My wash cycle is this:

(if full load, 20+ prefolds and covers I use heavy load on heavy duty cycle. If small to medium load 10+ prefolds plus covers I use heavy load on normal cycle. Load = how much water is used, cycle = how aggressive the agitation is)
*6 minute wash (heavy/normal) cycle (no detergent) on cold/cold. I do a full wash, not just a rinse cycle
*Longest wash (heavy/normal) cycle add detergent and put it on hot/cold
*Rinse cycle (heavy/normal) on warm/cold

Then I use the lowest/shortest heat cycle on my dryer and do that twice. I *ALWAYS* air dry my covers.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 10th, 2013, 11:35 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
oh please share the make your own detergent recipe!!!

March 10th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
See this is why i chose to do sposies again...The water bill would go thru the roof if I had to do all those rinse cycles. If I have to do even 3 extra loads of laundry a month for whatever reason My water bill goes up on average 15 bucks. And thats without doing rinses. I had to recently rewash DDs old clothes to get the drool stains out and that required 3 rinses each load. Plus the main wash. (For a total of four loads) and my water bill was 30 bucks higher than normal. Water prices in my city are ridiculous.
Yes water bills do increase, but the difference is not having to buy diapers every week (or however often), ya know? The increase in water is far less than the average cost of diapers in a month, IMO!
Karen78 likes this.

March 10th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlinmommy17 View Post
oh please share the make your own detergent recipe!!!
Yes please!

March 10th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Veteran
CD moms, do you take your CD to the hospital? I was thinking about using sposies until the meconium has passed. I've heard that can stain bad. What to do?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search