Coping with Pain

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By sunnydaze
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By ashleykathleen
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By Joanne Nicole
  • 1 Post By edgeofelise
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2013, 09:20 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BTDT moms what natural techniques did you use to help with labor pain either throughout labor or before you got your epi. What worked best for you?
This will help our FTMs and maybe even give BTDT moms new ideas to try for this one.

March 10th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It seems stupid, but keeping your eyes open and breathing long and slow through the contractions. It is a natural reaction to want to hold your breath when you feel pain. It is also natural to want to close your eyes.

But if you can force yourself to breath slow and focus on an object or a person, it will help you not to focus on the pain.
edgeofelise, Gen88, eshute and 1 others like this.

March 10th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What a great thread! I can't wait to see all the replies

March 10th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I leaned over an ottoman during the pains. Not sure if it helped (10 years ago and things fade). I just recall doing it.
MamaSkunk likes this.

March 10th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Good one Tania!!

Since I had really bad back labor with DD one thing that helped me with that was counterpressure against my back. I would make a fist and push it against my back during contractions. (Totally bringing a tripod back massager this time lol

March 10th, 2013, 10:08 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found that actually the opposite of what Tania suggested helped me. I did breathe slowly through my contractions but I would close my eyes and try to visualize a very relaxing place (like a quiet beach with waves lapping on the sand). I would put all my energy into just breathing and visualizing that place and everything about it: the smell of the saltwater, the sound of the waves and birds flying over, etc. it really helped take me away from focusing on the pain.

I had two failed epidurals so I was stuck in bed but could still feel everything. Breathing and meditating were about the only techniques I had at my disposal. I'm hoping that since I will be going without this time, moving around and changing positions might help as well.
MamaSkunk likes this.

March 10th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Anyone try other techniques like the ball or water with any success?

March 10th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I liked getting in the water, in a hot shower at home, and just moving around into various positions. I had been reading a lot of NCB stories and advice so I was trying to "spiral" my hips a lot and dance with the sensations, I was trying to integrate my "rushes" (as Ina May Gaskin calls them) and surf them and let them open me up, and keep a soft open mouth. Mindset is pretty huge. I think a great quote is (paraphrasing here) "don't think of it as pain, think of it as a very intense sensation that requires all of your attention, it's opening you up and bring the baby down." I also had some guided imagery from Belleruth Naperstek that helped a ton during the hour long car ride to my hospital at the time.
MamaSkunk likes this.

March 10th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What helped me was breathing thru the contractins and not laying down. I walked around a lot. I think this time I wanna try the tub with some warm water in it, I hear that helps a lot and feels good.

March 10th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a water birth. The pain was still terrible, but the few times they made me get out of the tub to check on my progress, the pain became unimaginable. So I guess the water helped. It definitely slowed things down though.
Gen88 likes this.

March 10th, 2013, 09:20 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I was in and out of the shower with Everett. Telling myself the pain was bringing us closer to our baby helped. I was very vocal for sure.

March 11th, 2013, 07:23 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
The things that helped me were showers. I also breathed very slowly and deeply and concentrated on not fighting the pain-just allowing the pain so that my body could do what it needed to do. Another thing I remember is sitting in a chair and having someone push in on my knees when I had contractions, that helped. Also, switching positions and techniques helped. Something worked good for a while, then that technique stopped working and if I switched to something else I could find some relief again.

March 11th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
FTR I did get an epidural but managed for 14 hours without one (on oxytocin!) I had a bit of an advantage because I had a doula who is also a licensed chiropractor. I managed relatively well for about 12 hours. I had to have the lights dimmed and I didn't want ANYONE to talk or touch me. Remembering to breathe is what became really crucial for me. The instinct to tense up and not breathe is really strong and it only hindered my progress. My doula came up behind me at one point and kept pushing on pressure points on my shoulders to bring them down to relax my body because I didn't realize I was tensing so badly. I had to sit up and lean forward to get through every contraction because being on my back or leaned up against anything was making it worse. I also had an intense desire to walk around and walked to the washroom in my room and forward against the door. Eventually at around the 14 hour mark the contractions were coming with no break inbetween and that is when my breathing stopped being controlled and I was hyperventilating. I didn't know that I was but I remember saying "is it normal that my hands and feet are numb?" So multiple paper bags later the anesthesiologist saved me haha

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
March 11th, 2013, 07:37 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I had some back labor with Lily before my epidural, and my MIL used counter pressure on my back to help. With Abri, I got in the shower as hot as I could stand and tried to find a comfortable position. Best technique with Abri: humming. The stronger the contraction, the louder I hummed. I tried to find a tone that seemed to "match" the contraction. I am sure I sounded like a giant cow mooing in my bathroom, but it helped. I managed a NCB with her and never really registered the labor as painful
March 11th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I really hope I can move around and utilize water this time around. My water had broke with no contractions with DD so I was on pitocin with no pain killer but was stuck in the bed. Although Ive read pitocin contractions are more painful than what your body does naturally. So hopefully no pitocin this time.

March 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Counting and tapping my feet helped. My contractions felt like they were split into three parts--building, peak, and release. I knew it was five counts until the peak, five counts of the most intense part, and five counts as the contraction ebbed. So I would breathe and count through it. It helped me focus. Leaning over the birth ball helped a lot too, and I just wanted somebody to sit with me. My doula and DH didn't need to do much, just be there to hold my hand while I got through a contraction. I didn't want any other physical contact.
MamaSkunk likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

March 11th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I didnt want to be touched either. I told Kyle to not fbomb touch me
MamaSkunk likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 02:19 PM
:

March 11th, 2013, 02:40 PM
And I hate that word.

March 11th, 2013, 02:43 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Having an inner focus and controlling my breath helps me the most. Early in my last labor I didn't plan to, but I started to close my eyes during each contraction and I imagined a glowing ball inside me that would get bigger and brighter as the contraction developed, and then dissipates. I told myself that the goal was to get that ball as big and open as possible. The first stage of that labor was very easy, second stage was worse because she came with her hands in front of her face and probably a thumb in her mouth. That hurt like hell but there was nothing to do by then but to get through it. And, somehow, we did.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search