Lets revisit diaper bags

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2013, 10:00 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
How you purchased one?
What are you looking for when picking a bag?
Btdt moms what can you tell FTM about picking a diaper bag?

March 10th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've purchased one. I've had it a couple months now, i've been using it to store baby stuff as we got it.

I got this one:

Graco Scribbles Tote : Target

I'm a "pockets" and "dividers" person, even when it comes to purses, so the fact that this one has TONS of separate pockets and dividers really appealed to me. This way I won't have to carry a purse too, I can throw my phone and wallet into it and go.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
March 11th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I got one at the Vera Bradley Outlet. I wanted something WASHABLE.

March 11th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm using my old Jansport backpack from high school. Those things are so sturdy, my mom has one that's older than me. And they wash really well. I did buy a fold-up portable changing pad that's got pockets for wipes and diapers, and I threw that in the backpack. Plenty of room left for a change of clothes, a few toys, a receiving blanket or two, etc.

With DD, I had a purse-style diaper bag and I hated it. It was cumbersome to carry when it was full, and put all the weight on one shoulder while I was trying to wrangle a wiggly baby, and the straps were always falling off my shoulder. Using my backpack means that the weight is evenly distributed between shoulders and I don't have to worry about it constantly falling down.
MerinSun and yvee80 like this.

March 11th, 2013, 06:15 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also got a Vera Bradley one. I love it. It is pretty, big without being too big, and has nice pockets to it. I think it will be great to carry everything for the baby, plus the couple of things I still like to have on hand for DD. When DD was born, DH got a UGA messenger bag style diaper bag we call his man bag. It definitely has pockets and functionality designed for a man and he doesn't feel like he is carrying something girly if he takes it somewhere. He will prob use that one again if he has to take the baby somewhere by himself.

March 11th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Super Mommy
as of now i just have a basic diaper bag from kohls. it gets the job done lol. but recently i've been drooling over the vera bradley diaper bags...and actually they aren't as crazy expensive as i had thought (esp. if you get an out of season one). plus there is a huge consignment sale this weekend & i'm hoping to get one there. i figured i needed a boyish diaper bag when i had my son so now that we're most likely having a girl i want a super girly one! plus i want one that can double as my purse
March 11th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I got mine at Target when with my 1st pregnancy. I love it. It has side and inside pockets, but best of all it came with a changing pad. That thing is a MUST. Especially when you're in a bathroom stall and have to use the changing table in there....those things are so hard and usually don't have paper liners to use. Also, I've had to use the pad on the actual FLOOR of the bathroom if there's no table!! Ahh!
MamaSkunk likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I have two Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bags. Honestly they aren't overly useful as diaper bags haha but I love them as purses! But they're pricey....I bought one when I was pregnant with Kalyna and my mom bought me one as well. I won't be using them this time or a diaper bag at all. I usually have big purses to begin with so I can shove some wipes and diapers in there or I usually have a backpack (which works out well since i'll be wearing baby on the front and the backpack can balance me out in the back!)

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
March 11th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydiane521 View Post
as of now i just have a basic diaper bag from kohls. it gets the job done lol. but recently i've been drooling over the vera bradley diaper bags...and actually they aren't as crazy expensive as i had thought (esp. if you get an out of season one). plus there is a huge consignment sale this weekend & i'm hoping to get one there. i figured i needed a boyish diaper bag when i had my son so now that we're most likely having a girl i want a super girly one! plus i want one that can double as my purse
I purchased one at the Outlets. I am sure it is an older pattern. I have no idea though. I got it on a day that it was like an extra 40% off of the outlet price. This is our first girl as well and I want something girly.
KellBell2621 likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Right now I am just using a large tote bag to carry the girls things. I'll more then likely just use this for the girls and zack. But I do have a reg diaper bag I can change to if needed.

March 11th, 2013, 08:34 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I briefly looked at diaper bags online, but decided I am just going to try to use a larger bag we already have. I have lots of large purses/totes lying around and thought it might work just as good as save me some money!
DS: '98, DD: '00, DD: '13, & TTC #4

March 11th, 2013, 08:49 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm picky. I want it to look more like a purse, but still be big enough for cloth diapers and a change of clothes. I also like pockets on the inside for the random stuff for the girls- toys, books, snacks to keep them occupied. I had one with Lily that I loved. I think it was just a Carter's brand from Babies R Us, but the strap broke after 2 years. Every other bag I've used since then has just never been what I wanted. I did end up buying a Coach diaper bag (on sale at the outlet store). I'm a Coach fiend, so I'm surprised it's taken me this long to get one. I hope I like it. If not, it will at least make for a great carry-on/ weekender
crawmommy likes this.
March 11th, 2013, 09:52 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I have had less expensive bags in the past only to have the zipper break a few months later or it to get a hole in it somewhere. I got my first ju ju be off of babysteals and my large one at a consignment store. Hands down the best money I spent plus every time I replaced a cheaper bag it adds up. I won't need a new one this time.

March 11th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I highly recommend a backpack. Seriously. So convenient and comfortable and holds everything.

We use this backpack from Ikea:

UPPTÄCKA Backpack - dark gray/dark blue - IKEA

It has pockets for everything. I also really love that it has padding on the back with air channels. I have never had a sweaty back while using this backpack.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 11th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How you purchased one?

No. I am holding off on purchasing one because my mom asked her friend to make us one...and I'm worried it won't be practice.

Practicality. I think we have evolved from carrying around the 800lb diaper bags. I will probably get a backpack like bag with a lot of compartments.

Travel light. That beotch gets heavy when you have to lug it around.

March 11th, 2013, 12:13 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH has a diaper dude bag that we use most of the time. Since we do so much outdoors, it is super durable and after 2 years still looks brand new.

I have a Petunia Pickle Bottom backpack that I would like to trade in for the Touring Tote. The backpack was a little heavy because of the strap clips on it.
March 11th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How you purchased one?
I have a couple of large purses/totes that do the job well. And we got a hand me down Diaper Dude that we used a lot in the beginning when we needed more stuff... we always needed burp cloths or receiving blankets or large flat diapers, change pad, extra change of clothing (or 2 or 3), toys, and tons of diapers and cloth wipes and a big wet bag... now (with a toddler) I just have a squeezie food/snack, extra diaper, small wet bag and small travel wipes pouch in my purse. I don't even carry a very big purse.

Attractive, durable, holds enough, usually I want a long crossover/messenger bag style strap too. For the bigger ones they don't need to be as ergonomic because I won't be lugging them all over, they stay in the car usually, or maybe get brought inside a friend's house or whatever.

You don't need a "diaper bag", any bag with some extra pockets and a decent capacity will work also it is good to have a bag that DH will not feel silly carrying around... the Diaper Dude was great for me, DH was always very happy to carry it!

March 11th, 2013, 01:32 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually have a smaller sized duffle bag! Gabe is still in diapers and Jocelyn has medications... so with the baby I need something that will hold stuff for 3 kids! Ugh. So I have to pack. Alot. Whenever I go somewhere. Plus I get really frustrated if I forget something I need at home so I usually overpack. This is the solution that worked best for me!

March 11th, 2013, 05:33 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydiane521 View Post
I also thought the Vera Bradley was going to be too expensive, but it turned out to be about half of what I expected. And, as someone else mentioned, you can probably get an even better deal at an outlet. The one I got comes with a changing pad that snaps into the front and there is a zipper pocket on the back that will be perfect to fit an outfit for a toddler. Six pockets inside and 2 on the outside sides. I think they will be perfect for a bottle of water for DH and me when we are out for the day. It is the Make a Change bag (I got the "Ribbons" pattern). They have 3 patterns on the website on sale for 70.80 right now. Just checked. Hope you can get something you love!

March 11th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am really having a tough time in this area. I have looked at some and so far I think I like the skip hop ones. I like the skip hop duo deluxe and the duo double. The duo double was advertised for twins and rated as the number 1 bag for twins because it fits on the back of a side by side double stroller. We're not doing a side by side at first but we do have one that we have used for my SS and nephew and I could see us using it when the boys get around 8 months or so.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search