Gestational diabetes

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By Hopeful2BMommy
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By D&K's_mama
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama
  • 1 Post By phantomsgrl11
  • 1 Post By 8miraclez

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
My glucose was elevated after my glucose test last week.
I go tomorrow for further testing. I'm to have nothing by mouth starting at 9pm then have a fasting blood draw at 8am tomorrow. Then drink the glucose again. Then have blood drawn every hour for three hours. So I'll be in the office all morning long. And bad part is...my husband can't be there to keep me company
I know this doesn't mean I have GD for sure. But I'm so ignorant when it comes to GD. I've been doing some research over the weekend. Can anyone give me any personal experience info?
March 11th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have no experience. Wanted to send good luck.
Steph625 likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do mine next week and I'm so scared that I'll have it.
Good luck!
Steph625 likes this.
March 11th, 2013, 10:22 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I have always failed my one hour and never finished a 3 hour because it made me so sick. I don't have any insight but wanted to offer hugs!! How much did you fail by?

March 11th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
How much did you fail by?
Can you believe I never asked?! When the nurse called to tell me, my brain was going crazy.
March 11th, 2013, 10:52 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A lot of women fail the 1 hour and pass the 3 hour. In recent years, they have lowered the standard for passing the 1 hour. If you had a high carb breakfast that morning, it will also affect your readings.

Try not to stress it too much. Take a good book to read and hopefully you will have great results on the 3 hour.

Kat.
Steph625 likes this.
March 11th, 2013, 10:54 AM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I failed my 1 hour with dd and passed my 3 hour.. but gosh the 3 hour was horriable plus they made me pee and take blood every hour after not having anything to eat. Or drink either... crazi.. hope u pass the 3 hour test! I go for my 1 hour tmrw I'm hoping I pass!!!
Steph625 likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I drank a huge glass of juice before my 1 hour with DD and failed. Then my 3 hour I made sure to cut out any excess sugars for a few weeks prior to my 3 hour....and you would be amazed at the things that have high amounts of sugar in them that you dont suspect. But I passed my 3 hour making sure i stuck to water and no sugary stuff for the 2 weeks before my 3 hour. Hope it helps. My 1 hour GD testing is in 3 weeks.
Steph625 likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 04:24 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I failed my 1 hour last time and ad to do the 3 hour. The worst part about it is that it's boring. I passed all of the sticks up until the last one. I failed by just a few points. They said I didn't officially have GD, but I was considered borderline. I wasn't up on the hardcore GD diet, but they did give me a list of foods to avoid and told me to limit carbs in general (hard bc I am a carb junkie!). They said it was just precautionary to make sure I didn't end up with a giant baby. I was good about doing what I was told and DD was 7 lbs, 3 oz. I have a strong family history of diabetes, so my risk of GD is increased even though I am not overweight and haven't gained too much. I kid of expect to fail again. I will find out soon. My 1 hr is 2 weeks from Friday.

In all likelihood, you'll pass the 3 hr. Just wanted you to hear from someone who did fail that it isn't a super huge deal. Annoying, yeah, but manageable. Good luck! Hope you pass with flying colors!
Steph625 likes this.

March 11th, 2013, 04:31 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took my 1 hour screening on Thursday and I'm so nervous to hear if I passed or failed. My OB told me not to worry too much about failing the screening...that many people fail the one hour and pass the 3 hour. It looks like a lot of ladies here have had that happen. Good luck!

March 11th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks ladies. I feel so much better about things. I did eat perhaps TWO bowls of lucky charms for breakfast that am. (My favorite). I have been telling my husband that I need to eat better and exercise more. I'm looking at this as a blessing-a kick in the butt-from God telling me its time to start taking care of myself and baby more!
March 11th, 2013, 09:18 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I failed my one hour (160 when they want 139 or lower my doc office aims for 130) but took my 3 hour on friday and passed.

They recommend you eat a completely normal diet leading up to the three hour so you do not falsely get a non positive test by starting a pre diabetic diet too early. Most cases with gestational diabetes all it means is a matter of changing your diet to cut out certain things. Only in very few cases does it actual mean insulin or heavy monitoring so please try not to panic. Just make sure you have something to keep you busy tomorrow. I rented and downloaded a couple films for my kindle to get through it because boy is that wait boring! Also you are drinking 100mg not the 50mg for the 1 hour so I felt gross almost right away. Ask for fruit punch if they give you the option. I find it much easier to get down than the lime or orange drink because it doesn't taste like a flat soda. You never expect carbonation in fruit punch so its much easier! =) Good luck!
Steph625 likes this.

March 12th, 2013, 01:36 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
has anyone actually ended up having it? Failed the 3 hour test?
March 12th, 2013, 03:16 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I've never had to take the test because I have diabetes ALL the time.
My sister failed the 1hr, then passed the 3hr and still had a 9lb 13oz baby. With her next baby, she passed the 1hr and her baby was over 10lbs. They told her after, that she probably had GD the entire time.
I have an aunt who had GD with all 4 of her pregnancies. She ended up taking insulin and her kids were all under 8lbs. The good thing about GD, is that even if you have it, it goes away after birth and then you can celebrate by eating tons of carbs.
Steph625 likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search