Waffling (i just love that word)

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By farmfourmama
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By ~*Kudzu*~
  • 1 Post By sunnydaze

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've given birth both ways. Vaginally and C section. Vaginal birth was easier to recover from, C section....I didn't have as much post partum bleeding.

The C section felt very clinical to me. I didn't ever go into labor for it. It was more scary than anything else...and cold. I didn't get to hold my baby right away, I didn't really know what he looked like until after I got out of recovery.

Getting an epidural when you are in labor is not nearly as scary as getting one when you are not in labor. When I was in labor, it seemed like more of a blessing. When I wasn't in labor, it seemed more like....hell.

My vaginal birth was anything but calm. I felt like everyone and their brother where all up in my lady bits, and my grandmother screamed the hail mary the entire time I pushed as loud as she could from thre ajoining bathroom. It was chaotic.

But I got the initial skin to skin, the first eye contact and the sense that *I* had just done something amazing....

I asked the doc about VBAC and he looked at me and he said in an apologetic (not a jerk voice) voice...

"Yes, we will attempt them if that is what you really want, but we don't advocate them because of the serious risks of scar seperation and blah blah blah..."

I know this is probably for the best, since I have a compromised immune system anyways, i don't need to risk more than I have too....

and my husband is prone to fainting under stress, and I don't know how well he would do during a "normal" labor and delivery....

I don't know...I guess I am feeling kind of bittersweet about it all.

March 12th, 2013, 06:33 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hun if you want to try for a VBAC then by all means do it. Scar seperation isnt that huge of a risk after only one c-section. Many drs will tell you to do another c section because they get paid more than if they just catch a baby. And they also try to push that on you cuz then they schedule tuings at their conveniece instead of having to wake up in the middle of the night or miss their lunch etc. All this was told to my other cuz by my aunt who is a labor n delivery nurse. My cuz wanted a VBAC and drs were trying to force her into a csection. Guess what. She told the dr to shove it that he worked for her. She had a beautiful VBAC with no complications despite everything her dr told her that it wouldnt happen.
Also your labor would be more calm if you just only brought DH along and left your gran at home lol. Remember....theres a higher power in charge and that isnt the dr.
And if you try a VBAC and halfway thru you have to have a csection for whatever reason....then at least you could say you tried and let baby pick her own bday.
edgeofelise likes this.

March 12th, 2013, 08:07 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
The risk for uterine rupture after 1 c/s is less than 1%. I would research the pros and cons of each and make an educated decision. If you want to try a vbac you should!
MamaSkunk likes this.

March 12th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Veteran
Also you could ask about how you were sutured. The majority are all a double stitch technique and that decrease your risk even more!! If you're not sure you can ask for yor medical file and find out! I think you need to go with why your heart tells you, that you want to do!
navywifey2003 likes this.

March 12th, 2013, 10:23 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I understand exactly where you are coming from on this issue. I have only had 1 birth and it was a scheduled c-section, so it is all I know. The recovery wasn't too bad, but I would love to attempt a vaginal.

My ob is typically very pro VBAC and is not comfortable with it. I think it is mainly the inducement/pitocin combo with my blood clotting disorders that makes her nervous. Unless I go into labor on my own before 38 weeks, I need to be induced for both mine and babies safety, so VBAC just isn't in the cards for me.

On the other hand, it is nice knowing exactly when he will be here - easy to schedule care for Bourne and everything else.

Kat.
March 12th, 2013, 10:28 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Kat, I think that is typical for mommies on blood thinners I know another mom who needed to be induced (non vbac) because she is on blood thinners. I'm hoping for labor for you, and if its not in the cards a smooth c/s.
zkat likes this.

March 12th, 2013, 10:41 AM
~*Kudzu*~'s Avatar ~praying for a miracle~
The big reason docs don't like VBAC (other than the risks to the mother) is that they have to be on the floor the ENTIRE TIME the mother is laboring. With traditional vag deliveries, the doc is paged when the mother reaches a certain point and is ready to push. With a VBAC, the doc is paged the minute the mother arrives at L&D and has to stay there until delivery. It really throws a curve when the mother has a long labor....
With all that being said, that is why docs get all the big $$! This is your delivery and the birth of your child and the memory of it will stay with you for the rest of your life. It's the story that you will tell every time a conversation about giving birth in general comes up.
You should do what feels right and best to YOU. As long as the end result is a healthy baby in your arms... the way they got here is just part of the story you tell one day. GL with whichever method you decide.
sunnydaze likes this.

10/2001 09/2002 05/2003 01/2011 10/2012
March 12th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Kat, I think that is typical for mommies on blood thinners I know another mom who needed to be induced (non vbac) because she is on blood thinners. I'm hoping for labor for you, and if its not in the cards a smooth c/s.
Thanks! It is the recommended protocol with clotting disorders because of the risk of clots and placenta deterioration increases each day after 38 weeks. Add in my age of 38 and my OB stays nervous from about 36 weeks on with me
March 12th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didnt stop to think the doc would have selfish reasons for not wanting a Vbac. So much to think about!
MamaSkunk likes this.

March 12th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I want to add that we were able to have skin to skin/nursing within min. of me leaving the OR. The biggest hold up was that I was under general (failed the clotting test, so epi or spinal was not an option at that point). DH waited in recovery since it was general and he was holding B within 5 min. of his birth. B1 was nursing at less than 15 min. old. This is standard c-section procedures at my hospital, but if it is not with yours, talk to your Dr. about your wishes.

This go around, I will be on a lower dose of heparin and stop it further out from scheduled section, in hopes of getting the spinal, then I will be holding B2 as soon as he comes out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search