Test for GD

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I see lots of ladies posting that they ate prior to their test. Just wondering what the practices of different doctors are. Simply due to my age, they made me go for the 1 hour test at 9 week pg. (Crazy since I have no family history of diabetes, and at normal weight, and had no problem in the past with pg). I was told to have breakfast of one egg and water or 1 piece of toast with 2 tbs peanutbutter and a glass of water. I was then to go for the test. Nothing other than that to eat. I passed (although that was at 9 week), I need to go again between 26 and 28 weeks. Told to eat the same thing. Wonder if this has any effect on passing or not.

March 12th, 2013, 04:27 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I was not given ANY instruction, so I took that as eat normally. Of course, my test wasn't until until 2:45pm, so I couldn't fast all night and all day. I didn't eat as much sugar or carbs as usual, but I didn't starve myself.

March 12th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wasn't told what to eat either. I think when I took the test in the first trimester (my dad is type 2 and I'm close enough to 35 that they consider me AMA), I had a bagel and cream cheese. This time I had a bowl of oatmeal with some honey and dried cranberries. Passed both.
Kim3 likes this.
March 12th, 2013, 04:38 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I was given diet instructions for the 3 hour but never the 1 hour.

March 12th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
hearing about everyone failing their test is making me FREAK OUT!!! I usually eat 4 pieces of cinnamon raisin toast with a big glass of oj...and I don't think this would be a good choice. I'm going to try the meals mentioned in this post bc I surely do not want to fail

March 12th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Rochelle
I was told to fast for 6 hrs prior and to just drink the glucose drink at the lab. That's what I've always done in the past too. I passed all of them.
March 12th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Super Mommy
I took mine this afternoon and tried to do some research last night online about this exact question. It seems like every doctor has different advice. I tried to eat fewer carbs today, but I definitely had to eat since I couldn't test until 3:00 this afternoon. I ate a very small lunch 4 hours before testing. Hopefully I passed the one hour. Drinking that drink seemed much harder this time around. I really hope that I don't have to do the three hour test in a few weeks. Good luck with your test!
March 12th, 2013, 05:51 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last time, the dr I saw told me to eat only protein before the test. I still failed. The midwife I am seeing this time said to eat a normal breakfast. He said drs tell people to eat only protein to increase their chances of passing, but she said it's gives a truer picture of how your body is handling food if you eat like you normally do. She told me last month to be eating protein any time I ate carbs to help keep blood sugar stable. I have been trying to do that for a while, so I will continue that up to the test and hope it goes better than last time.

March 12th, 2013, 06:24 PM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told not to eat after midnight only water. My apt was @ 10 but they normally do it @ 8. I just couldn't go @ that time due to dh working..

March 12th, 2013, 06:31 PM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
No instruction for the 1 hr test fasting after midnight for the 3 hour test
March 12th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Super Mommy
my dr.s office said i did not need to fast, however the place i'm going to says to fast. it's in the morning so i'll just fast anyways
March 12th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My dr's office told me i didn't need to fast, just don't eat like a krispy kreme donut before going in. Since they sent me for the test the same day they ordered it, and I could just walk in, I just waited a few hours from my meal before going in. I had a bowl of cinnamon life and apple juice at 6 am and then went for the test at 10...hoping I passed...*crossing fingers*

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
March 12th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was supposed to have the fasting one but I begged my OB to do a different one since I *cannot* fast, I go completely insane and my blood sugar gets way too low, I need to eat frequently. So she is having me do the 1 hr no fasting one and just sit at the lab the whole time. I expect to pass easily since my blood sugar issues are like the opposite of diabetes, my blood glucose is pretty much always very low (often below the normal/healthy range) whenever I've had it tested.

March 12th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Veteran
I wasn't given any instruction(I've neer been told anything) my doctor send me home with the drink since I am 45 mins or so away so I drink it on my way up and then go for blood directly after getting there so it works out to an hour. I've always passed. This time mine is right after lunch so I will be eating(or watch out LOL) before hand!

March 12th, 2013, 09:44 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My midwife said to eat a high-protein breakfast at 8:00, drink the drink at 10:15 and we'll do the test at 11:15. I try to eat mostly protein in the morning, anyway, so it's not really different for me.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

March 12th, 2013, 10:29 PM
PurpleStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was given the option to fast or not - I will fast. The lab is located in the medical center I work at so Im going to go Friday a lil early (I start at 730am), drink the stuff, go work and then return to have my blood drawn.

March 13th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I see there are places that let you have the drink prior to going for the test. I have to go to the test place, wait to get the drink and then stay their the entire hour. I am not permitted to leave the facility.

March 13th, 2013, 04:59 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
With my daughter, I had to fast for the 1 hour test but that was 12 years ago. This time around, I was told I didn't have to fast so I ate normally. I had a two bowls of lucky charms and I bet that's why I failed. I took the 3 hr yesterday and had to fast 12 hrs before that.
March 13th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told to make sure I eat normally all day - my test was in the afternoon. My midwife said that if I change my eating habits or fast, they won't get an accurate result. I did avoid sugars that day, but ate pretty much normal for breakfast and lunch. I had have the drink and then wait there for 1 hour - thankfully they have a really comfy couch in the waiting room. After about 15 minutes I felt like I could barely keep my head up - total sugar crash. So I just zonked out on the couch for an hour. I felt mildly nauseous while I was waiting. By the time I got home I felt pretty miserable - I had DH pick up some dinner on his way home from work, chowed down on that, and then went into my room and passed out for 2 hours. Felt much better after that.

My midwife said they'd call if I failed the test, and that was a week and a half ago...so I'm assuming (fingers crossed) that I passed.

March 13th, 2013, 07:14 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I fasted and got 160 for the 1 hour with 50mg of glucose then for the 3 hour I fasted again with 100mg of glucose and my first reading was 163 (passing for the 3 not for the 1)

Doc said because I fasted for the first my body held onto the sugar more and since they never took a fasting number before hand (my fasting blood sugar was 82 for the three) they weren't able to judge the jump whatever that means. LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search