Painless migraine/ Ocular migraine aura

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Rochelle
So twice in the past two days I've had these episodes while bending forward reading a paper. I start seeing spots and then it gets so bad I can't read. When I sit back I start getting these rainbow rings in the outer field of my vision. I looked it up and found out it's called a painless migraine. It's so weird and unnerving.

Supposedly, the way I'm experiencing it makes it pretty harmless but it still makes me feel sorta dizzy and kinda nauseous too.

Anyone else ever experience on of these?

Oh! And here's a link

Symptoms & Treatment For Ocular Migraines During Pregnancy

ETA: My vision is normal now (this happened an hour or so ago again for the 2nd time in 2 days). I do have a regular headache now though.

Last edited by 4hearts; March 12th, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
March 12th, 2013, 07:37 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get them when my thyroid meDs are off or I have had gluten. I also got them a lot last pregnancy and post partum. I have only had one so far.

Mine start with everything looking over exposed, then a blurry dot in the middle of my vision that expands outward for about 30 min then it's gone and I am left felt slightly off and quesy.

Here is a link that has a gret visual Ocular Migraines Explained - AllAboutVision.com

They suck and there isn't much you can do. I hope you don't get more.
4hearts likes this.
March 12th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Rochelle
Oh wow, I didn't think it could be thyroid related. I have a couple weeks left of my current dosage of levothyroid and I was going to wait a couple weeks and get both my thyroid levels checked and my glucose done. now I'm thinking of getting on this right away.

they're sure it was your thyroid? Do you have one? I don't. Was your dosage too high or too low?

And that visual link is EXACTLY what I was experiencing.
March 12th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Rochelle
Decided to go into the lab in the morning and get it over with. Guess I'll be taking all the kids in tow. It's going to suck but I want to know NOW if my levels are off so we can adjust before it adversely effects the baby.

Thanks for letting me know about the thyroid correlation, zkat. You'd think I would have considered the possibility of it being related to that and I kind of did but bc it was a brand new problem, I thought it was probably just stress related.
March 13th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to check - have you had your pressure taken lately. Spots can come from preeclampsia. Sounds like you know what is causing your problem. I just wanted to put this out there. Not to worry you. Just to be sure that you are OK.

March 13th, 2013, 04:47 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had this a few weeks ago and I called the hospital and they said I should go in right away and get checked since it is a sign of preeclampsia. The nurse at my office told me that once when she was pregnant she was at the pediatrician's office with her two other children and she had an aura and they actually called the ambulance for her! Anyway, from my experience, if you get this during pregnancy you should get checked just in case it is a sign of something being wrong.

March 13th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My mother had a serious one that happened while she was driving. She almost passed out and couldn't see hardly anything and she still had the nerve to drive herself to the hospital!!!

She has been seeing all kinds of doctors since trying to figure out what happened and she is currently being treated for high blood pressure and they told her to change her diet to please her thyroid. She has an appointment with the nuerologist later next week

March 13th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Rochelle
I'm getting ready to go get my labs for thyroid and glucose. I called my nurse and she said they should have my thyroid levels back by Friday so hopefully if they are off I can get on the new dose asap.

Regarding the Pre-E: I can see why that would be thought of so quickly bc of me mentioning spots but what I experienced is EXACTLY like it shows in the link zkat gave me. Not spots but this other type of thing. I wasn't even exactly dizzy, I just couldn't see straight for about 10 mins. I also did not feel like I was going to pass out or anything.
I have no family or personal history of it after 3 kids or of GD. I did look it up to make sure and the only symptom I even remotely had for pre-E was the vision. The only risk factor I had is obesity since I'm 200 lbs now. NO swelling or anything also.
I've always had VERY excellent blood pressure in my whole life and in pregnancies. But, what I will do today is to swing by the CVS and take my blood pressure to make sure. If it's at all high, I'll go see the Dr. bc that would be very odd indeed (for me).

I had a lot of thyroid issues over the summer and it seems like the older I get, the quicker my body reacts to the levels being imbalanced so I'd wager to bet that's the culprit here.

Baby seems just fine, moving around and all. I'll be so glad when this test is over, then I'm getting me some friggin' fast food! Fasting sucks!

Thanks for all the support, I'll post later after I get back and tell you my blood pressure numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim3 View Post
Just wanted to check - have you had your pressure taken lately. Spots can come from preeclampsia. Sounds like you know what is causing your problem. I just wanted to put this out there. Not to worry you. Just to be sure that you are OK.

The last time I had it taken was Feb 25th and it was pretty low.
March 13th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had this happen one night last week and ended up with a migraine for 2 1/2 days after... I have had them before (not pregnant) so I didn't know I should've call my dr... I go back to see her in 2 weeks so I'll tell her then, unless it happens again before that...

#1, 4, 5, 7
March 13th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Both pregnancies I have needed an adjustment in the 2nd tri because the baby really starts using your thyroid hormone. If you have a check within the last couple of months, the good news is it probably isn't off enough to impact the baby. It is just enough to make you feel icky.

I have a thyroid, but it doesn't do anything but take up space and keep my hives active.

And to answer your other question, I have gotten ocular migraines with a low dose and a high dose, doesn't seem to matter. Of course, my overmedicated symptoms are little weird - constipation and water retention.
March 13th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Rochelle
update My blood pressure was like it always is 115 over 69 and a heart rate of 76. I called my mom and told her that and she said that seemed a little too low to her. I informed her I had JUST had my glucose and blood drawn and was headed to Wendy's to get some food and that's probably why it was low. She said she's going to borrow me her blood pressure machine and if I get another ocular migraine, I'm going to take my BP right then to be sure it's not elevated when I have a "spell".

So, my tests are done for the day and I'm so glad! I cancelled some extracurricular things I had planned for the kids today so I can take it easy and we can get this house looking better. I need a day off.

Zkat- yea, same here about 2nd trimester. Withe the last 2 pg's it seems like I needed the new dosage at about this time. I'm hoping they just bump me up to 200 mcg bc I still have some left over from another time and that will give me ample time to pick up a new script.
Actually, what happened to me over the summer was a painful swelling of my ankles and feet and it was from over-medication. I was retaining water and had to take water pills and it took over a month for my feet to get back to normal. I never realized how much being able to walk is a blessing until then bc i literally had to hold myself up with the walls to navigate through the house.
Are your levels ok right now?
March 13th, 2013, 12:22 PM
My levels are perfect right now. My TSH is .49. I am alternating 175 mcg with 150 mcg of levoxyl (allergic reaction to synthroid). 175 mcg every day was too high - I would go days without sleeping and it sucked. My BP was 106/64 at the Hematologist this morning and he wasn't concerned about it. He is used to low readings from me though.
March 14th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Rochelle
Glad your levels are good I'm on 175mcg right now. I'm wondering if they'll try to put me on 188mcg or go up to 200mcg. What happens to you when you take synthyroid? What did you mean when you said the presence of your thyroid gives you hives? Has anyone ever told you why your BP is so low? Just curious bc mine is too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search