I never thought.....

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ashnicole86

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2013, 10:09 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
buying a dresser for the nursery would be such a frustrating process. They are so expensive, and most of them are pieces of crap. Has anyone had luck finding a dresser (preferably one that is proportioned for a changing pad on top) that isn't upwards of a thousand dollars, and isn't garbage?

March 17th, 2013, 10:29 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
honestly we bought this from ikea:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...933/#/50214555
we'll put the changing pad on top
we really only used the changing pad/table for about a year with DS so I didn't want to bother with a separate changing table like we did for him

March 17th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Used store! Goodwill always has more old fashioned dressers that are usually all wood (because they're old!). We are using DH's old wooden dresser from when he was a kid. You can always strip them and repaint or stain.

The Safety 1st changing pad's dimensions are 32.5 (L) x 16.5(W) x 3.5 (H) inches so just keep that in mind when looking at dressers

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 17th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We purchased the Legacy furniture (We forwent the changing area for the larger 7 drawer dresser.) However we saw this piece and it is nice. We ordered elsewhere. The price was comparable though.

http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/legacy...FW3ZQgodB28A9g

March 17th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, we're not even getting a dresser. We're going an "alternate" route. We're getting one of these:

http://www.target.com/p/closetmaid-c...1&preSelFlag=1

And then getting cubes that match the colors we're doing the nursery in. We're going to turn it on it's side. It's probably not tall enough or wide enough for a changing station, but it might give you an idea to alternate ideas for a dresser.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
March 17th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't have a dresser for either kid, I remember looking briefly when pregnant with DD and having the exact same reaction, high prices and poor quality! I was worried about babyproofing the room for a toddler later - dressers are notorious because of the weight of the drawers when they are pulled out. And with hearing lots of BTDT moms saying they barely used a changing table anyway and just threw a waterproof pad on the bed or couch, I figured I could do without that too. So I did. We have a set of 2x3 cubbies laid down the long way (so they are 2 cubes high) for diapers and blankets and burp rags and things we want out and easy to grab. In the closet we have hanging fabric shelves that hang off the rod, I think they are perfect because they are smaller than dresser drawers, so you can sort by size and style very nicely for the tiny baby clothing, and see everything at once. They use the closet space efficiently and we will easily fit M's and new baby's stuff in the same small closet, with big bins for outgrown and next-size stuff on the high shelf above the rod, for the baby (M is solidly in 2T and I hope she stays there awhile but the little babies grow sooooo fast!!!)

So anyway, YES you can go without it is possible, I do it and it works great for us!

We also don't have a crib, never had one for M, she went from the Arm's Reach cosleeper to a floor bed and we plan to do the same with this baby.

March 17th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Veteran
We've gotten all our dressers from garage sales or used furniture stores. Our latest dresser (bought from the used store) has enough drawer space for my 2 girls AND the new baby (it only cost $60).

I learned by baby #2 (we're waiting for baby #5 to make his/her arrival any day now) that it's easier to use a changing pad and sit on the couch, bed, or floor.
March 17th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Veteran
My Aunt got us our dresser as my shower gift....Buy Buy Baby is starting to get new floor models in so that means some of the ones they have now they want to get rid of. The dresser she got us is by Bonavita, she paid $200 for it and originally it was around $700. It's a beautiful dresser, it's sturdy, and it definitely isn't cheaply made. It's also big enough for a changing pad plus there's space on top to store diapers etc. I know the babies r us around here is also making way for new products...and sometimes they still have the products in boxes in the back. My dresser had the floor model price, but they still had some in the box in the stock room.

Craigslist is a good place to find furniture, as well as used furniture stores. I also live in an area with a high volume of personal auctions so we've found things at those for crazy cheap from time to time...but from what i understand many other parts of the country don't do the personal auctions like we do here? idk...its worth a shot at least if people have them in your area.
sunnydaze likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 17th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I 2nd everyones idea of thrift stores. I am repurposing dh old dresser. We didn't have a changing table with dd instead used the drop side crib as a changing station it worked awesome but this time since drop sides are a no no & we have hardwood floors now we will give it a try.

March 17th, 2013, 08:28 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We got a nice 6 drawer dresser for our kids a couple weeks ago at IKEA for 150.00. They had some with changing areas on top too, so I would there. I also like the thrift store idea! We have gotten a lot of good deals there

March 18th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i stalk craigslist. I want something old I can paint and make cute.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search