Money saving tip

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2013, 11:42 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This has happened to me in the past, but it has happened twice this week, so I thought it was a sign to share. It's amazing the deals you can get when you just ask. Today, I noticed that some appliances we need for our new house are on sale, but only until Tuesday. We don't close until Friday, so putting that kind of money on a credit card could cause problems with the loan at the last minute (they highly advise against doing stuff like that). And we certainly can't open a new credit account before then, but if we do, we get an additional discount. So irritating to think we would miss out on about $600 in savings over a few days, so I just called and asked if I could get the sale price extended until Saturday and explained why. They told me to come to the store, they would write me an estimate with the current price and date it as good until the weekend, so I can get the sale price, open the credit account to get the additional discount, and not have a problem at closing. (We also have an additional 10% off coupon we got from our realtor, so with all of the discounts, we're getting a grand total of 34% off of the high end washer and dryer we want.)

I was also emailed a coupon code by an online retailer this week just for sending them an email about products out of stock and telling them that having to wait for them to get it back in was a real inconvenience. Last spring, I got money off of both my cell phone bill and our home internet/cable/phone bill just by calling and asking. I told them I thought we paid too much, there were other options, and asked what they could do to keep my business. Bam, lowered my bills by $20/mo, so $240 over the year, just for a couple of 5 minute phone calls.

I know that no matter what anyone's finances are, it's never a bad thing to save money, especially with a baby on the way. So I thought I would share. It never hurts to call and ask for an extended sale or additional discount. The worst they can do is say no, but a lot of times, companies say yes just to get your business and hopefully keep it in the future. Don't know if this is news to anyone or not, but if it is, give it a try. This week alone, it has saved me a ton of money.
KellBell2621 likes this.

March 17th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Super Mommy
great tips!
March 17th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I went to Target and I wanted this little garbage can with a lid. When the check out person was looking at it she discovered that there was sticky nastiness in it. So I looked for another one but they didn't have one in the same price range. The only other one there similar in style and size was about $15 more. I asked if they could adjust the price some. They did 10% which is nice but it still bothered me that I had to get a much more expensive version.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search